FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki on TV....
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Tiki on TV....
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-22 09:31 am   Permalink

In the 1969 Brady Bunch episode 'Dear Libby', Alice is drinking out of a (non-tiki) coffee cup.

The sticker on the bottom of the cup seems to be the famous yellow/gold Otagiri foil sticker.

Note sticker on bottom

A shot of the cup

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Zarkov
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-22 1:15 pm   Permalink

Was Robbie the Robot Tiki? Look here and you decide:http://www.flickr.com/photos/drzarkov/2302303231/

Quote:

On 2008-12-24 22:15, JOHN-O wrote:
Remember Anne Francis as private detective "Honey West"? It was a B&W TV show that ran for one season in 1965. They just re-issued it on DVD. In the episode "A Neat Little Package", Honey goes undercover as a cigarette girl in a Tiki restaurant. I'm not sure if they used a set or if it was filmed at an actual business. The exterior shots show a bamboo-thatched Polynesian-style restaurant with the sign "Golden Lotus" (which might have just been stuck there). There is also a small artificial lagoon with tiki torches adjacent to what looks like the rear of the restaurant. Anyway there were a lot of tikis for the interior shots. One poor tiki gets a machete chop in the head.

Anne Francis was also really cool in "Forbidden Planet" which has a (kind of) tiki-headed robot.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2008-12-24 22:42 ]

View Profile of Dr. Zarkov Send a personal message to Dr. Zarkov      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Zarkov
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-22 1:30 pm   Permalink

Last season's CSI had a funny show, rare for them, written by the writers of Two and Half Men about a vain TV star who is murdered. In one of the final scenes where Grissom and Brass confront the murderer (who gets away with it) on a TV soundstage, you can briefly see a giant Tiki head lurking behind them.

For those of you with cable, several networks are running reruns of Malcolm in the Middle. In one of them, Malcolm's mother and father make the kids turn their garage into a Tiki Lounge -- and they do a damn fine job of it, too. Every day the parents retreat there to relax, drink out of Tiki mugs and get away from the world, until of course something ensues to destroy their paradise. If you can, also catch the Burning Man episode -- no Tikis in this one and no, in spite of what you see on screen, there are no cacti in the Black Rock Desert -- but the show is hilarious. My wife and I attended Burning Man so we have both episodes stored permanently on our DVR.

View Profile of Dr. Zarkov Send a personal message to Dr. Zarkov      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-22 1:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-22 13:15, Dr. Zarkov wrote:
Was Robbie the Robot Tiki? Look here and you decide: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drzarkov/2302303231/

Quote:

On 2008-12-24 22:15, JOHN-O wrote:

Anne Francis was also really cool in "Forbidden Planet" which has a (kind of) tiki-headed robot.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2008-12-24 22:42 ]

Dr. Z.

I fixed your link. I'm glad you saw the connection.

JOHN-O

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-22 3:37 pm   Permalink

Years of watching "I Love Lucy" and I never caught this before..

Episode #128 titled "Lucy Visits Grauman's" (Season 5 - Air date Oct.3, 1955 - The famous episode where Lucy steals John Wayne's footprints.)

Lucy complains to Ricky she didn't have any souvenirs from Hollywood.

Ricky retrieves a box of Hollywood memorabilia. Inside the box: an orange autographed by Robert Taylor. A grapefruit signed by Richard Widmark. A tin can squashed by Cary Grant's left rear wheel. Menus from the Brown Derby. Matchbook covers from Ciros. Ashtrays from the Beverly Hilton..and

CHOPSTICKS from "THE BEACHCOMBER!"

Does anybody know if Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz have their chopsticks on display at Don The Beachcombers in reality? Just wondering.

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-22 4:45 pm   Permalink

I can't believe no one has posted this, yet! During the first season of Happy Days, on April 2, 1974, an episode aired called: "Because She's There". Potsie sets Richie up with a blind date for Ralph's masquerade party. The blind date is Diana Canova, (from SOAP), she's dressed as the Statue of Liberty & she towers over Richie. The party is held in Ralph's basement, complete with rattan furniture, Hawaiian travel posters & a round, rattan shelf on the wall with Tiki mugs in it. The only mugs I can identify are a couple of Tiki Bob's. You guys need to check this out. I was playing it over & over again looking for more details, but now I can't get my DVD player to work. CRAP!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-22 6:39 pm   Permalink

I'm a little embarrassed to post this, but what the hell.

This is from a 1995 episode of Roseanne titled Sherwood Schwartz: A Loving Tribute.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-09-23 12:33 am   Permalink

Not quite on Telly but on Radio 4's "That Mitchell and Webb Sound - Series 4 - Episode 5" about three minutes in a great piece of radio comedy about "the big stone heads of Easter island"

Its still up for the next five days..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00mr4w3/That_Mitchell_and_Webb_Sound_Series_4_Episode_5/

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Agent 86
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-23 2:57 pm   Permalink

On an Overhaulin' episode titled "Sema--Radical Roadster" they had a woman with MS who is into all things '50's and when they interviewed her there were Tiki's around and a Miehana mug on a shelf next to her as well as a Drei Moai Scorpion Bowl. Her Husband said she wanted the car painted "Tiki Green".

View Profile of Agent 86 Send a personal message to Agent 86      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-16 7:13 pm   Permalink

Watching The Rockford Files right now. Jim & his dad were eating in a restaurant with tapa on the walls & drinking out of hollowed out pineapples. On their way out, there was a big glass float hanging over the door & a good sized Tiki in front of the building.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-16 11:53 pm   Permalink

Watching The Rockford Files right now.

"$200 a day, plus expenses." Nobody was cooler in the 1970's than James Scott Rockford. No-body. Greatest private investigator series ever to grace the airways. Find a better theme song, g'head, try!

In the early episodes Rockford's trailer was not in the more well known West Cove location but rather was in a parking lot right near the Malibu Pier. Viewers would see him leave the trailer and head south down PCH, and thereby catch a brief glimpse of the infamous Tonga Lei. Perhaps the location of said scene?

To me, Rockford seemed like a Navy Grog kind of fellow.
midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-17 07:40 am   Permalink

I caught this commercial one Saturday morning.

Sadly, I don't know (nor care) who these boys are (I don't have kids, so I'm no longer "hip" to today's trends LOL), but they are promoting a kids yogurt. In the commercial, they are playing the "I crush" game I think started by the comedy troupe "Kids in the Hall". Anyways, here's a link to the commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK1tueX3QVM

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-17 08:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-16 23:53, midnite wrote:
Watching The Rockford Files right now.

Nobody was cooler in the 1970's than James Scott Rockford. No-body.

To me, Rockford seemed like a Navy Grog kind of fellow.

That's a bold statement.

The 1970's were a great decade for coolness. Jim Rockford was a nice guy but the 1970's were the time for Blaxploitation and Kung Fu fighting. During that time no white TV cop/PI was cooler that Ron "Superfly" O'Neal, Richard "John Shaft" Roundtree, Sonny "The Street Figher" Chiba, and of course the late great Bruce Lee. Also I think Pam Grier could have kicked Jim Rockford's ass.

And if you want to talk about white TV cops, Starsky and Hutch might have been cooler than Rockford but Baretta definitely was. Their opening themes were way cooler than Rockford's hokey "progressive rock" music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2458hQ5EDc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRa9uhiAPBs

I'll give him this credit though, Jim Rockford was a bourbon guy. He would have considered a tropical cocktail kind of swishy.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2009-11-17 09:12 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-17 09:01 am   Permalink

John-O -

Blaxploitation & Kung-Fu? 1970s?

We must must pay homage to legendary Rudy Ray Moore as DOLEMITE - a 1975 film

Who can forget Dolemite's all-girl army of KUNG FU KILLERS?!!!

(sorry for the slight derailment...back to the TV discussion...)

tiki since '67!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiG 2009-11-17 09:03 ]

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-17 09:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-20 11:59, VanTiki wrote:

and a carpet detail:

Go Team Venture!

Looks an awful lot like the Melinamade fabric I covered my rattan chairs with....

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation