FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events 1st Annual TikiCentral Oasis Crawl May 5,6,7 & 8 UPDATE: Drink Card pg. 10
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
1st Annual TikiCentral Oasis Crawl May 5,6,7 & 8 UPDATE: Drink Card pg. 10
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-27 9:44 pm   Permalink

Those who follow TC regularly and check on this thread are most welcome to print a Crawl Card and participate. If you don't... well, then, you don't and probably won't.
Mahalo,
Shell in the Pacific

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-27 9:54 pm   Permalink

Poison Ivy,

The "Entire" Oasis is a venue for "everyone" to participate. It has large open areas for a thousand people to congregate.

Unfortunately, our side parties are just that... Side parties. A side party cannot logistically accomodate everyone who attends the event so therefore we must find some way to limit the number of folks who just want to show up and get free drinks. In past years, there has been a leak of information that guides lots and lots of people to ONE persons room. That person (or small group of persons) ends up footing the bill for alcohol for a bunch of strangers when the intent was to have an intimate gathering of known friends.

These rooms can easily be maxed out with as little as 30 people. When word has it there is a "party" in one room, its just too many people to fit.

Besides, being an active participant on Tiki Central takes effort and time. Many of us read and POST almost daily THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE YEAR NOT JUST WHEN OASIS ROLLS AROUND. We take the time to get to know other Tiki Central members by attending other organized events, home parties, casual get togethers etc. We email eachother, catch up with a phone call, give gifts, etc..

We do love meeting new tiki fans. We were ALL new at one point in time. The issue arises when the size of the "core" group gets so large that we can no longer just extend an invitation to everyone. Pretty soon you have 150 people hanging out in or around your room and its just not fun. Stolen stuff, broken stuff, hurt feelings, police, and feeding free booze to everyone.

I am not the organizer of this fine mini crawl and I do not decide who gets in and who doesnt but I am guessing that this was the thought process behind the ID cards.

We want folks to stick around and contribute not just show up and drain it.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiCrow
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-04-27 10:41 pm   Permalink

To crawl or not to crawl? I'll crawl some!

View Profile of TikiCrow Send a personal message to TikiCrow  Email TikiCrow Goto the website of TikiCrow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-27 10:45 pm   Permalink

Didnt we mention that you must have at least 200 posts under your Tiki Central ID to qualify?

Im just kidding....

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MEAN GENE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-27 10:55 pm   Permalink

I'd like to crawl if Lisa will let me sneak out of our room. We're bringing our 3 year old daughter this year.

View Profile of MEAN GENE Send a personal message to MEAN GENE  Email MEAN GENE Goto the website of MEAN GENE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-27 11:00 pm   Permalink

I totally agree with Monkeyman.
I admit to not posting enough as I should, but I try to partake in as much "real life" events as I can. Since the Oasis this year is even bigger than last years' event, there has to be a filter for the side parties, since it's not logical to expect room hosts to try to entertain 150-200 people most of which they don't know, and will never know because they just came to get hammered for free.
See ya'll soon,
Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-27 11:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-27 20:41, PoisonIvy wrote:
What about people who do not belong to Tiki Central?

Anyone who shows up with a card will be treated with aloha spirit in my room (and will be treated with alcoholic spirits until I run out).

However, in the grand scheme of things, the fact is that a lot of us here are 'ohana. Real 'ohana -- we are with each other through good times & bad, we are there for each other. Not just what you lurkers read on this board. My friends here have helped me through some serious times, and I know that others have had the same experience.

Meeting you at Oasis for the first time is a grand and wonderful thing. Lots of folks find the courage to start posting on TC because of positive experiences at events, and that's great.

I understand it can be intimidating jumping in and joining the group. But we all found a way to do it, so when someone shows up and says "hey, I want that!" a few days after a TC-specific opportunity appears, well good god, it can't help but sound kinda pathetic.

Don't take advantage of the hospitality of others. Do your part to contribute and give back to the community. Anything else is bad juju.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-28 02:48 am   Permalink

Don't think I will really need a card to be crawling around the place but sign me up anyway

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-28 07:46 am   Permalink

the drunken hat and i will definitely be crawlin'. and watch out for the race to visit the most places....the hat may be small, but i hear he runs fairly fast.

we will (in conjunction with tikihula), host a room as well at the royal sun. im sure the hat or hulaboy will post more info later on.

great idea guys!

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nicktiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2005-04-28 08:28 am   Permalink

I'll be crawling. I'm better at drinking than mixing.

View Profile of nicktiki Send a personal message to nicktiki  Email nicktiki Goto the website of nicktiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Selector Lopaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-28 08:51 am   Permalink

Puamana and I would love to do a bit of crawlin'.

View Profile of Selector Lopaka Send a personal message to Selector Lopaka  Email Selector Lopaka Goto the website of Selector Lopaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-28 09:16 am   Permalink

are any of the hosts staying at the royal sun? if so pm me. i would like to plan on inviting the crawlers to our hotel at the same time. if there are enough of us hosting i think we can lure the folks from the tropics for a couple of hours.

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-04-28 10:23 am   Permalink

I know there's a certain scavenger hunt quality to this event, but I'd like to encourage those who are interested in hosting and are staying at Royal Sun, Travelodge, or other places to please announce it here.

Shelly, can you please make a note on your list of hosts when they are at other hotels besides Caliente?

It will be easier to strategize!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iuka Grogg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-28 11:09 am   Permalink

This is going to be such fun! I can't wait for y'all to taste the new original concoction from Beachbum Berry that Weird Unc will be pouring. For more information on where you can get the recipe (in the Maikai Gents new CD package), check this thread out:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=14350&forum=11&6

Just had to make the plug. Thanks, gang.

-I. Grogg

View Profile of Iuka Grogg Send a personal message to Iuka Grogg  Email Iuka Grogg Goto the website of Iuka Grogg     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Shocker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-28 11:18 am   Permalink

I can't wait to see everyone staggering from Reef to room and back all weekend trying to find and drink all the goodies on the kard.....

Can we leave a spot so we can put our names (aka TC Nick) on the cards....

View Profile of Dr. Shocker Send a personal message to Dr. Shocker  Goto the website of Dr. Shocker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation