FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Oceania, Etc: vendor of South Seas Art
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Oceania, Etc: vendor of South Seas Art
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 8:42 pm   Permalink

I want.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 06:19 am   Permalink

Hey Liz, definitely a great find! I will have to travel down there one of these days.

It is especially cool to see stuff from the Dani and the Trobiands, as I had to write tons about them this semester. Very cool people...I would have liked being a Trobriand Islander before the missionaries and British got there, they are very "free spirited"! And then you have the Dani men with the penis gourds...gotta be careful around them, could poke out an eye.
Later
Jason

View Profile of Jawa Send a personal message to Jawa  Email Jawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
joefla70
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 06:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-10 18:53, hewey wrote:
Looks like they got some really nice stuff. Pitty it is on the other side of the world...

Would love to see more pics of what else is there.

Hewey... its ironic that its on "the other side of the world" to you... because some of the pictured items look as if they originated in your neck of the woods... in the Sepik river region of Papua New Guinea.

View Profile of joefla70 Send a personal message to joefla70  Email joefla70     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nokala Rocky
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-11 7:23 pm   Permalink

Boooyyyy, can't wait to go back down! Gotta start the tradin biz back up again!

View Profile of Nokala Rocky Send a personal message to Nokala Rocky  Email Nokala Rocky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-12 2:09 pm   Permalink

Hewey and others wanting to see more, ask and you shall receive. Just got these pics from Dominique today. Her own narrations on the pieces are included.

"Door from Timor house"

"Next to the furniture on right is a large head from timor carved out of palm"

"bench from Timor"

"bench from Timor with face and totem pole from bali handcarved in back, silver crab from java"

Enjoy

[ This Message was edited by: I dream of tiki 2009-02-21 22:22 ]

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-12 4:15 pm   Permalink

Post deleted due to discontinuation of regular store hours.
Visitation to the store is now by appointment only. Please do call to arrange a time.

[ This Message was edited by: I dream of tiki 2006-03-29 13:29 ]

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-12 7:48 pm   Permalink

More pictures

Ancestor Face

Overhead view of "Oceania,etc."

Mask from Bali

[ This Message was edited by: I dream of tiki 2009-02-21 00:37 ]

Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-12 10:06 pm   Permalink

WOW! Great pictures I dream of Tiki!

I've got a hankering for a PNG mask, alas, I'll have to make a trip to that shop at some point I suppose.

Mucho mahaloz!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-13 08:30 am   Permalink

First topic of the day: weapons and tools

"All from Irian jaya( referring to the above photo. From left to right, the tool with stone and a yellow strip (the yellow tone come from dried out dendrobium orchids which stems are yellow when dried) is used by women to chop one of their fingers off when a male member of their family has died, husband or son. I have seen women with only a few fingers left. The stones are sometimes 300 years old and were passed on from generation to the next as valuables as stones are hard to come by in Irian jaya and were obtained mostly by trade.

Dani women are as tough as tough can be. When they chop their finger off with the stone, they first hit their elbow hard to divert the pain. Unbelievable the pain they can take!

The next 3 weapons(2 shown with sheath, one without)are rare cassowary bone daggers from the femur of a large cassowary bird, hunted for food, for its feathers which are on many masks from the area and for its bones used as weapons when shaped in a point. The cassowary is a dangerous and evil tempered bird the size of an ostrich. It can disembowel a man in one kick of its powerful claws. All weapons are resting on a woven asmat bag from the region, with designs produced with natural pigments. Fascinating culture!"

"This is another tool, a stone axe from there as well."

"A very old sword from the dutch occupation of Sumatra. I believe it is 150 yrs or more."

[ This Message was edited by: I dream of tiki 2009-02-20 23:55 ]

I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-13 09:50 am   Permalink

Next topic: Mask, Jewelry/adornments and armory

"This is a necklace made out of boar tusks that was once worn in a singsing festival and the one below as well,which is adorned with cassowary feathers all around and which tusks are held by a fiber cloth, called Tapa: actual pounded-into-a-fabric- bark. Statue is from Timor."

"This is an unusual Sepik mask , the only one i ever found with yellow color."

"This is a rare Dani armor to protect warrior in battle. In 25 years, I've never found another one like it, full of cuscus skulls and fur, bark cloth underlining, tusks, fiber string decorations and weaving on the sides. I just sold it but i thought i should share it, it is so beautiful and unusual. The body is made of thousands of little nassa shells worked into the bark underlining."

"These above are body armors from Sulawesi east of Borneo, entirely made of bone plaques on a woven fiber backing, used by the people of Toraja during battle."

[ This Message was edited by: I dream of tiki 2009-02-20 23:52 ]

rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-13 09:58 am   Permalink

What great photos.
Its so nice to see a caption along with them for those of use that dont know much.

Thanks for sharing.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-13 5:27 pm   Permalink

Sorcerers' Bags and other adornments!

"These are sorcerers' bags full of magic spells I found in the highlands of Papua New Guinea. I sold all of them but one that i just listed on ebay. There is everything on them from skulls and bones, tusks, dried penis, fur and feathers and carvings. I find them very interesting."

"This one had carvings and a chicken feather handle."

"How about this one? Simple but yet elegant! Handle of little shells and a body of chicken bones on a bilum netting."

"On this Asmat ceremonial boat below used during boys' circumcision, rests a bilum bag from Irian Jaya with decorations of cuscus skulls hanging all over as well as another weapon with cassowary femur bone within the sheath."

Better pic of Irian Jaya bilum bag

"Above is a rare necklace from the highlands again made entirely of little cuscus skulls. I put it on an Asmat carving."

[ This Message was edited by: I dream of tiki 2009-02-21 22:33 ]

I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-13 5:45 pm   Permalink

Canoes

"This is a large canoe we brought back from the sepik.I pointed to it and asked if i could buy it and you never saw people pulling something out of the water so fast. By the time i got my camera out, they had grabbed 3 children and fish from it and eased it to shore. It was so funny! The whole village came to view the scene.

In the boat is a open carving that came from the top of a man's house from the Sepik region among other stuff i thru in there."

Crocodile canoe
"A section of an entire 10 feet canoe that we collected on the Sepik. Has been sold as well but a beautiful piece. The entire boat was full of carvings in and out."

[ This Message was edited by: I dream of tiki 2009-02-21 00:04 ]

I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-13 6:25 pm   Permalink

"Below is a set of stairs, 8 in total that were about 7 feet tall. The stairs has been sold as well but the story board carving all along is beautiful. Next to is is the prow of a full crocodile canoe." (See above post for more detail)

This is worn by the chief on his head during singsings below, woven fiber, natural pigments, boar tusks, cassowary feathers, nassa and cowrie shells. Again great headgear for a night on the town.

"...as well as accessories of pig teeth below"

"...and this wonderful necklace with an ancestor's head for protection."

"Now a final treat for all tiki lovers, a rare poster bed from Timor. Completely handcarved throughout. Hard to see it as we use it for a display in my daughter's store that sells accessories but it is gorgeous. Came with a straw roof that we could not bring back. Used outside for timor naps or inside for florida naps! Only a portion is seen here. Hard to photograph the whole thing."

"...and in the center of the bed is what all tiki fans must have, hah, hah, a tiki bar all handcarved with totem columns and a straw roof, indeed a miniature of the bed."

[ This Message was edited by: I dream of tiki 2009-02-21 22:45 ]

I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-13 6:56 pm   Permalink

"Below is a rare Bride's headgear Ambusap head ornement from the Sepik known as a bridal cap. The same headdress can also be worn by men in the course of certain rituals. In that context, disguised as a bride, they represent an ancestress.

It is the most significant piece of personal adornment worn by the Iatmul people, Lower Sepik River region, Papua New Guinea. Consisting of a woven natural bark fiber veil studded with both nassa and cowry shells, such headdress were once painstakingly decorated for countless hours, often with added attachments of pearl shell and bird's feathers. Often at the base of the veil is a skillfully shaped woven crocodile head. Such pieces, worn by a bride when she first entered the Men's House, are intricate and extremely rare."

"Below is a mother's backpack baby carrier from the Kayan people of Central Borneo, used to carry her baby in the fields, the motifs are meant to repel evil spirits and protect the child as well as hanging talismanic decorations. The anthropomorphic figure in the center of the beaded panel suggests that this carrier was used by a family of prominent genealogy. Woven rattan backing, wood seat, plaited shoulder straps, various beads, shells, and bells for adornment and empowerment."

"This is a fun Asmat piece that looks like 2 boxers! There are no boxers in Irian Jaya but these fighting tribal men imply such! I like that piece, it is unusual!"

A different look, hand painted pillows, Balinese signed paintings are used within. Not as primitive as the rest!

This glass case below has all sorts of artifacts from Irian jaya in it including a woven mask to be used in the next movie of Halloween the 13th!

[ This Message was edited by: I dream of tiki 2009-02-21 22:44 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation