FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Baffles me! Why not more responses to THOR art lately????
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Baffles me! Why not more responses to THOR art lately????
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 1:28 pm   Permalink

I was not ever offended by your post. Bring on the trades. I'll trade something.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 2:44 pm   Permalink

Thor,

All's cool as far as I'm concerned. You could be a great complement to our little community, as you probably have a lot to share to help some of us ratch up our marketing to the next level. I'd certainly like to here about how you approached/hooked your agent and gallery, etc.

Welcome to TC,

John

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thanatos
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 4:49 pm   Permalink

Thor.
As someone who is new and posting some artwork, It is hard. But I do see myself commenting and and chatting with people who comment and chat with me?? Your art is great. But with god knows how many post, I do focus in on The Sam G, Benz, Raff, people who have help me. Hope that makes some sense...

View Profile of Thanatos Send a personal message to Thanatos  Email Thanatos     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 5:25 pm   Permalink

I agree with Raffertiki and Thanatos. You obviously have great experience and skill not just in painting, but in the whole marketing, selling areas. Well, you said you are only just starting out, but you have got further than most of us.

The guys that get the most respect on here happen to be some of the most talented, but they are also the first to respond with positive yet constructive criticism when someone finishes a carving or artwork.

I beleive you could be a great asset to us. Hang around, and you can demonstrate that. This is your opportunity to demonstrate to those who dont like you that you are truely a down to earth tiki head, just like the rest of us.

I also agree with kooche. If you can do some smaller stuff for the common person, it would be tops. Either, a number of smaller peices, or some cheap posters. The small prints are cool, but you cant appreciate the detail that you put into your work, which is the whole appeall.

Looking forward to seeing more of you.

Tell those pencil necks to release some posters! They are just bludging off your talent! You put all the work in and they just ride the gravery train. Sure, it is not this simple, but stand up for yourself. Surely the fact that your stuff sells so well is good leverage. Good luck.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 5:34 pm   Permalink

For what it's worth...I have six of the
mini prints from the first series you posted
on TC....love em...thought they were a pretty
good bargain at 15 bucks a pop...and also
think they are fantastic artwork! My wife
always kids me about my "friends from Tiki
Central" but one does get the feeling that
you "know" people with whom you communicate.
Whenever I post something that I created
I am hopeful that I will hear something
positive from Ben..Finkdaddy...Monkeyman...
Raffer...or any of the other "Creating
Tiki" posters who I have gotten to "know."
Sometimes I don't respond regarding stuff
from "Big Time" artists simply cuz I think
they have reached the point where it's not
all that important. I am drinking one
Mai Tai for everyone involved in this post...
and it's starting to show. Love your
work..and proud to own a little bit of it!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beachin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 6:26 pm   Permalink

Yea...Raffertiki is right....How did you do it? Inquiring minds wanna know!

View Profile of beachin Send a personal message to beachin  Email beachin Goto the website of beachin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 8:17 pm   Permalink

Lemme say first of all..I had NO idea I was finding a site with such warm and wonderfully supportive people. Again, if you knew me and my character in person...you would understand how much I appreciate the traditional camaraderie of artist to artist. I am just seeing that here. As far as giving my feedback and sharing experience..I am a person that is very open and generous with that. Along with my job at Disney I taught workshops there to those wanting to learn to sculpt and paint or draw. Many were accountants or secretaries that just wanted a chance to learn. I love sharing what I know..and am always happy to do so here..as well as ask questions about what you all know. I wish this was a huge dark lounge loaded with couches and wicker chairs and a loong bar with endless little trinkets of past tiki eras to play with as we all sat and shared our passion for this stuff. I look forward to a time I can be part of a meet somewhere in the us...or Hawaii.
How I got where I am so far..for what it is worth is just a result of persistence and hard work painting and learning and most of all...never forgetting to be a kid. My memories from the early 60's when I was but a few years old are still vivid! I use these memories of Hawaiian hotels and restaurants or bars my parents used to frequent in my work. They fascinated me..scared me and intrigued me. I recall Trader Vic's and countless restaurants in LA now long gone. All this just gave me the passion to create the art as much as I have. Remember, though I am new to selling art to the public, this was never just a hobby. I worked my butt off at Universal and Disney Imaginnering for countless hours drawing and painting the images to motivate others to build these things at the companies..rides..shows...creatures and environments. I paid my dues..with plenty of sweat and blood. I left Disney to use this experience to share with others like me..who just wanted to be surrounded by cool little escapes in their own homes..magical tropical bubbles to lounge in and share with friends. You see this in my work..I don't just paint a tropical tree house..I step in there and build it...if you look closely.
In all cases, someone saw my work in a print shop or through word of mouth and that lead me to opportunities. I believe if you really believe in your art..it comes through..and people pick up on it. So any publishers or licensing connections I currently have happened cus these people were attracted to something that I am doing. I wish I had a secret formula..I don't know myself how to control things..so I just paint things I truly am passionate about. At Disney..I did that..and then had to get up and pitch to Michael Eisner or Disney corporate who were as tough a crowd as you would ever want to be in front of. I just let it all go..made noises and rolled on the floor demonstrating the actions that my paintings and storyboards would have if you were inside them. Much of the time..I pulled people into my worlds..other times...got a deadpan response and a simple statement of " ok...how much will it cost". Anyway...my point is..passion is a huge driving force to getting people to back you with money. So is strong, well executed and crafted art. I am still learning the business psyche part.
Anyway...there are a few questions addressed... I look forward to getting to know more of you!
~~THOR

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 8:40 pm   Permalink

You're in the right place Thor. All you're hard work and passion show thru. I'm just glad you don't need to impress corporate deadheads anymore. Corporations kill creativity. IMO being a freelance artist is the only way to go. The creative inspirations flow more freely and you can move in whatever direction suits you. Keep up the great work and may good fortune be yours.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beachin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 9:48 pm   Permalink

Thanks for sharing the background. We talked about "paying your dues" a while back in another thread and it looks like you've done a lot of that. Congrats on that.

If you want to meet folks in person, there are a lot of events hosted by TC where you can meet folks face-to-face. Nothing beats it, I tell you. I just wish I had had more time with everyone to learn more about their trade, but we were all very busy.

Hukilau is coming up in October. There are others, too. Good luck to you!

View Profile of beachin Send a personal message to beachin  Email beachin Goto the website of beachin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 06:21 am   Permalink

One more thing - try and work on some paragraphs so your posts are a bit easier to read

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-10 08:16 am   Permalink

HAAaaa Ok Hewey... I will make more paragraphs for ya!!! Aloha!!!

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 07:43 am   Permalink

I have learned much from this thread!

And I just pooped my pants.

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 08:08 am   Permalink

Hey Flounder! Where you been hiding?

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 08:13 am   Permalink

Flounder!! Long time no exchange. How are you?? Ya..this was a doooozy thread!! It was up and down like a rollercoaster and then swung up at the end.... I learned a lot too...believe me.
I want to interact more on here, but frankly overwelmed by all that's going on...in a good way!!! I look forward to seeing and sharing more art. Really, what I would love to do is share ideas and get feedback early on in projects I am thinking of painting.
Also..love the idea of contributing ideas to other's projects. Anyway....when you hsve changed your pants..write me!! (by the way..the person who actually used the "poop thier pants" line was this elderly lady in Hawaii who claimed she and her son were "regulars" on this site! for real!..hey another pun by accident "regulars"...way too many poop puns! I am back to my painting!

Aloha~

finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 08:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-11 08:08, Slacks Ferret wrote:
Hey Flounder! Where you been hiding?

No kidding! Where you been? You're gone for several months, then show up now to tell us you've pooped in your pants?

Nice to hear from you again Flounder. Don't stay away so long this time. Pull up a stool, this one's on me.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation