FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Baffles me! Why not more responses to THOR art lately????
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Baffles me! Why not more responses to THOR art lately????
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 08:23 am   Permalink

I just noticed that the only one who didn't write me again after explaining my self was Tiki Rider!! TR!!..Do u still think I am an egotistical fool?? I am hoping not!!!
Again...if I was..I would spend a lot less time painting with a cat at my feet and far more time in Waikiki goosing wahine's at Dukes!! Haaa Anyway...hope to get to know you~~

~~~T

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 10:55 am   Permalink

Let me start by saying I'm a fan of your work and it is helping to inspire me to begin working on some new work of my own. But I've read through the responses here and I must say I find your attitude to be unbelieveably arrogant. Just when it seems you are coming to grips with folks here at TC not falling over themelves to buy one of your $8000 paintings, you practically admonish someone for "not responding to your explanations" of how you didn't mean any of what you already said. Classy.

I think your work is a good fit for what people are interested in here on TC. You obviously have a load of talent and I certainly don't begrudge *any* artist their success. Every artist wants to be successful and validated for their hard work and I'm no different in that respect. But actively fishing for "feedback" on a forum not primarily devoted to artwork, especially when you haven't posted any *new* artwork and are bragging about all your success at the same time, is just extremely bad form.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 12:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-11 08:13, finkdaddy wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-05-11 08:08, Slacks Ferret wrote:
Hey Flounder! Where you been hiding?

No kidding! Where you been? You're gone for several months, then show up now to tell us you've pooped in your pants?

Nice to hear from you again Flounder. Don't stay away so long this time. Pull up a stool, this one's on me.

I bought a fixer upper (shit hole really) and have just been to busy. I haven't even had much time to paint. So overwhelmed I don't even have time to clean out my poopy pants.

I miss it here and will try to make the time.

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 12:25 pm   Permalink

Tikibot!
Did you read all through the thread?? I am not "bragging other than to share what happening wish the art! I was sharing enthusiasm for the interest in what I am trying to do! You use the word "fishing for complements" I stated several times I was sharing what's happening to get "feedback"..criticism..complement or otherwise. Whn I got little of anything..I didn't understand..untill the character of the site was explained to me. I assumed many of you are sharing success in your passion...even boasting!! It enegizes every artist to have passion shared!!

I was under the impression that MANY are sharing great art and success here..not just me! I had no clue that just sharing what was going on was going to be interpreted as "arogant" boasting! Do I assume that many of the great house themeing photos and projects I see on here is arrogant boasting..hell I don't!!

Many I am seeing here have great websites and a lot of interest in their work. Many of which are very proud of what they are doing....participating in events and shows I am just learning about. I have a long way before I am secure with what I am doing is reaching my goals to justify this as a true career success. I anticipated people to share criticism and their own success with me in return here! I wanted to be inspired and inspire..NO MORE!
I sill have questions about my concepts..and as I said respected the feedback of this place. I was refereed here not understanding that to say "things are going really great!!..here's what I am doing..whata do ya think"? Would mean I am arrogant. I had no idea where I would stand in "success rating here...never assumed I was boasting and wanted to be challenged and inspired.

I wrote the last post to Tiki rider because I tied to more carefully explain my intent..and although several others wrote back and were supportive of my action to do that, it concerned me. Tiki-bot...I think I will try to state once more that if I am comming off the way portray me..please put the entire tread back into context. You will see how I began to understand the site better and how I will interact in the future. I expected anyone who I share my success with on here to share theirs also and were support each other..so I thought. I would love to discuss all of our successes and failures...again..respected the feedback or else would not be on here "advertising".

Franky..your repines seemed very harsh. It surprises the hell outa me also that people drop 8k on art..mine at that! I stated I don't understand the market yet..and have no idea where I fit. From this side..I am told that is not that much at all in the Hawaii fine arts market For a painting with the detaii, size and thought put into these to sell for what they do. That's news to me!! Also..I don't set the prices, as I said the galleries do.
Again..drop the arrogance accusations. Don't bark at me for just staing what's going on that I am excited about and sharing!! Share back!!! I want to be inspired by YOUR successes!! Hell..tomorrow I could be drawing cartoons at venice beach! I am never so confident that I boast my mortality.
Can we let this go?? Many of you seem warm and friendly..but there are a few who are seeming to display a hostility or bitterness or something that just isn't attractive to me. I was looking forward to this community but unless the majoroity can forgive my misunderstanding of the site initially and stop miscasting my persona and intent..I would just well not be part of this.
~~~ THOR

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thanatos
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 2:02 pm   Permalink

Yo Thor..... How's it going. Love your art and hope to see you commenting on others work. Being new to tiking, but always being a artist it is nice to have inspirations of all types. But I agree, it is time to let this go... Thor just lock the thread or kill it if you can and start posting.

View Profile of Thanatos Send a personal message to Thanatos  Email Thanatos     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 3:04 pm   Permalink

Sorry.. ya know..for me this went from criticism I was open to considering do to my misunderstanding to getting down right pissed at this last comment by tiki-bot.
Several of your statements proved to me you were reacting not by fact at all....
You state, "Just when it seems you are coming to grips with folks here at TC not falling over themelves to buy one of your $8000( sorry this comes off as just plain bitter!) paintings, you practically admonish someone for "not responding to your explanations" of how you didn't mean any of what you already said (I never said I didn't mean any of what I said at all..I said what I was saying was misread in context!) Classy."
Tiki-bot...Tell me..why would you..if objectively reading my post and the thread, make such an exagerated overstatement like " admonish someone for "not responding to your explanations" Where in God's name did I "adonish this person" I was..in a friendly way..still asking to be understood by this person. As I said "I was concerarned". You grossly over exagerated and misread this. You jumped on it like a shark where there is blood in the water!
Also..where do I talk about an 8 thousand dollar painting before you responded?? I did NOT talk about money at all!! You must have visited the site...that was your choice to know that info...and again..that was all displayed by those who publish me not me personally! And "fall over my work" ? did I not explain I am not needing anyone falling over anything..I asked for "CRITICISM". You totally reshaped the entire statement I made to suit your rage.
The last commebnt of "But actively fishing for "feedback" on a forum not primarily devoted to artwork, especially when you haven't posted any *new* artwork and are bragging about all your success at the same time, is just extremely bad form:"..... shows me you are responding NOT out of fact..but some context of emotion I am not aware of. Do you not all "fish" for feedback?? it helps us all..motivates us.
Also, I told you..again if you read the thread..that I was told there is a lot of art and creations here of all levels. You say this site is not much about art work?? News to me..I will consider that when the majority tells me this. I see art and creativity all over the site.

Also I did in fact just post "new" art!! The post onlie now was scanned and sent to me 3 days ago..U are the first to see this. It's still being printed. So it is in deed new my friend.

I can only say that I had no intention of or achived what I understood to be "bad form" I think that it's "bad form" to welcome someone this way that was eager to be part of this and excited to share my knowledge and learn from this place. So far, you are of a minoroity in this angered accusation thoug in any debate or even a grammer school scuff..there are those who love to jump in on "blood in the water".
Again..I can only hope you don't represent a heavy, easy to label and crucify persona that is typical of this site. Just chill out!!! My God..I was hoping this to be a refuge..not a pecking zone like a women's tea club on 5th Avenue!!

I am thinking that either the ability to actually drink a cold Mai-Tai on this site would either relax some..or that it would turn into a dog gone bar room scuffle John Wayne himself would have envied at this rate!! Can we let this go now??

Mahalo for the spirit at least~

Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 3:22 pm   Permalink

Finally!!! Someone on TC who overexplains themself more than ME.

Welcome aboard. Let it go and move on. You have kick ass art. We appreciate it. We understand that you were not trying to convey what you conveyed and are trying desperately to correct any misconception.

Lets move on. Come in and join the party and stop standing outside arguing with the bouncer.

Please stay and participate. There are never too many creative folk around these parts.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 3:38 pm   Permalink

Thanks Very much. Lemme have a drink in a few hours here in LA and chill myself after this banter. By the way Monkeyman..you mentioned trades and I am all for that
I can't get more of what you do to upload though on your site... is it me or is it still under construction?
Thanks again for the support...I will be far more cautious in talking about any "successes" for what they are worth in the future and keep it to just lounge mumbles through my straw!! lol
I do have a piece also that is about to go to print but was hoping to discuss ideas for it's placement or market with others who understand the retro era and "lounge feel"..I am hesitant now though here to be honest. I have to say..I already lost a finger here today..need at least 9 to paint!
~~~T

Aloha's THOR

Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 3:39 pm   Permalink

I guess what "baffles" me is what exactly were you asking for in your original post. New ideas for you to turn into paintings? Seems most artists simply post their work here for the enjoyment of others to share in. They don't ask for critiques or ideas or subjects to paint. There are many websites out there that will do this for you if that's what you are looking for.

I do stand corrected that you did post a new painting, and it's a nice piece. Why you simply didn't ask this question in that thread, I don't know. I don't think you can deny your original post was boastful. The boasting, combined with the heading "Baffles me! Why not more responses to THOR art lately????" and long, defensive, carefully-parsing-every-word replies just screams "troll". That sounds like "bad form" to me.

I don't think my post was harsh at all. I said I liked your work and am impressed enough to use it as a marker for what I would like to achieve in my own work someday. I have never sold a painting, nor do I intend to, and am not "bitter" at your success. I distictly stated this already. I just don't see any other artists here talking about how many pre-orders they have for prints or how well they are selling at suchandsuch galleries. This is known as "boasting".

But I think at this point the arguments are becoming circular, so I am done with this thread.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 3:48 pm   Permalink

Tiki-bot..
Though I still strongly disagree with you..sepecially after clairifying the context of my staements, I will just call truce here nad take my Mai Tai to the other side of the lounge... I think the time I have invested claifying myself does little to "cry out troll" and more truthfully supports that I cared to be part of this site...and not misrepresented. Truce buddy!...you want my pineapple?..I am headed for the table by the lava lamp.

congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 6:18 pm   Permalink

And I thought boxing and mixed martial
arts were fun to watch...My score card
reads "draw" with little interest in a
rematch! Tiki Bot lands a few nice blows
but Thor slides off the ropes and avoids
the KO.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kooche
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 8:24 pm   Permalink

old school vs. new school

apples and oranges

digital or analog

different (brush) strokes for different folks

View Profile of kooche Send a personal message to kooche  Goto the website of kooche     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 9:33 pm   Permalink

Yeh, the rollercoaster has got onto a loop and is just going round 'n' round...

Put it in the agree to disagree basket and move on.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 11:08 pm   Permalink

Thor, your paragraphs are lookin' better, makes all this much easier to read!

I love the imagery in your artwork, but really the amazing thing is the totally different business of professionally marketing and selling anything, but especially art, or dealing with the non-artists who do the marketing, etc.

What kind of cat sits on your feet while you paint? That's the important detail I want to know!

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-12 05:54 am   Permalink

Well I've been trying to keep out of this thrad, hoping peole would get tired of overexplainations and drop it. It doesn't seem to be the case. You.THORS, seem to have to rebut everything Anyone says about you.

The main reason you don't get much response is that you come across as very a selfish and perfect artist who only wants to talk about his art. Look at your posts, now up to 52, and EVERY post is in a thread authored by You!. In other words you haven't taken time to read many other posts(or you would have KNOWN all these things you are now Just learning)or respond to ANY other artists post!! That is the Whole crux of the issue.

I say Drop thisa post and say no more. SHOW us, Don't tell us. If you want to join in and be a part of this group, telling us that 'Oh now I understand" isn't gonna get it. Walk the talk, don't just talk the walk.

Everyone, this is enough fo this...

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation