FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge The Dead Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 Next Page )
The Dead Thread
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-02 10:18 pm   Permalink

Guitar innovator Link Wray dies at 76
Fri Nov 25, 2005

LOS ANGELES (Billboard) - Musician Link Wray, best-known for his 1958 instrumental single "Rumble," died of unspecified causes November 5 in Copenhagen. He was 76.

In a career that spanned six decades, Wray made his mark with a piercing guitar sound that paved the way for punk and heavy metal. He is credited with inventing the power chord and pioneering distortion by deliberately punching holes in his amplifier.

"Rumble" peaked at No. 16 on the Billboard Hot 100. His 1959 hit, "Raw-Hide," which he performed with his band, the Wraymen, hit No. 23.

In the late 1970s, Wray became known to a new generation of fans playing alongside rockabilly artist Robert Gordon. His music has appeared in such movies as "Pulp Fiction," "Independence Day" and "Desperado." Wray is said to have inspired Pete Townshend, Bruce Springsteen, "Little" Steven Van Zandt and other well-known artists.

In 2002, Wray was named one of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time by Guitar World magazine. He gave his last performance in Los Angeles in July. He is survived by his wife and son.

----

I have seen Link Wray play live 3 times, he rocked harder than any other band I'd ever seen... he was a jolt of pure adrenaline! I'm a little late on the news but I'm really sad to hear this news...

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-04 06:23 am   Permalink

Wendie Jo Sperber of 'Bosom Buddies' Dies

Thu Dec 1, 1:36 PM ET

LOS ANGELES - Actress
Wendie Jo Sperber, who starred opposite
Tom Hanks on TV's "Bosom Buddies" and who in his words became "a walking inspiration" after she contracted cancer, has died. She was in her 40s.

Sperber died at home Tuesday after an eight-year battle with breast cancer, publicist Jo-Ann Geffen said Wednesday.

A Los Angeles native, Sperber appeared in dozens of television shows and movies, including all three "Back to the Future" films.

Her publicist first said Sperber was 46, but later said she was 43 based on an Internet resource. The Associated Press in September reported Sperber's age as 47.

Sperber also had roles in
Steven Spielberg's "1941,"
Robert Zemeckis' "I Wanna Hold Your Hand," and Neal
Israel's "Moving Violations" and "Bachelor Party." Her television credits include "Murphy Brown," "Private Benjamin," "Will & Grace" and "8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter."

After being diagnosed with breast cancer in 1997, the actress became an advocate for cancer care. In 2001, she founded the weSPARK Cancer Support Center, which provides free emotional support, information and social activities for individuals and families affected by cancer.

Sperber helped unveil and promote a breast cancer stamp for the U.S. Postal Service in 1998, Geffen said.

"The memory of Wendie Jo is that of a walking inspiration," Hanks said in a statement. "She met the challenges of her illness with love, cheer, joy and altruism. We are going to miss her as surely as we are all better for knowing her."

Sperber is survived by a son and daughter, her parents, two sisters and a brother.

View Profile of tikimug Send a personal message to tikimug  Email tikimug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-06 2:31 pm   Permalink

Herbert L. Strock, 87; Creature Feature Director, Pioneering TV Producer

December 4, 2005

Herbert L. Strock, a pioneer television producer and director who also directed the B-movie creature features "I Was a Teenage Frankenstein," "How to Make a Monster" and "The Crawling Hand," has died. He was 87.

Strock died Wednesday of heart failure at Riverside County Regional Medical Center in Moreno Valley after a car accident, his daughter, Leslie Mitchner, said.

Strock launched his television directing career in the late 1940s and worked on countless series, directing the first 10 episodes of "Highway Patrol" and episodes of "Sky King," "Sea Hunt," "Maverick" and "77 Sunset Strip."

But he is best remembered for his drive-in movie fare, which included "Blood of Dracula" and "Gog," shot in 3-D.

"He was just a real old-time type of get-it-down Hollywood moviemaker, who'd just go in knowing what needed to be done and very efficiently handling everything," said Tom Weaver, a horror and science fiction film expert who interviewed Strock for Fangoria magazine. "He always turned the stuff out within schedule and budget, which made him the producer's darling."

Born in Boston, Strock moved with his family to Los Angeles when he was 13. At 17, while still a student at Beverly Hills High School, he became the director of gossip columnist Jimmy Fidler's Hollywood segments for Fox Movietone News, in which Fidler visited with stars.

A 1941 graduate of USC, where he studied journalism and film, Strock served a brief stint in the Army's Ordnance Motion Picture Division before landing a job at MGM as an assistant editor on the 1944 film "Gaslight."

Several years later, he became a television pioneer as the producer and director of 13 episodes of "The Cases of Eddie Drake," a half-hour filmed detective series starring Don Haggerty and Patricia Morison. Although made for CBS, it aired years later on the DuMont network.

"It was the first television show ever put on film," Strock said in an interview with Weaver. "We shot it in 35-millimeter black and white. My budget was $7,500 per half hour, and we shot one a day. This was unheard of in Hollywood. I would shoot four pictures in a batch, all mixed up, in four days."

The story in each episode was set up by having detective Haggerty go to crime psychologist Morison's office to tell her what had happened.

During the filming of the series, Morison recalled Friday, she learned she had gotten the female starring role in Cole Porter's "Kiss Me, Kate" on Broadway.

After telling Strock that she would have to fly to New York to begin rehearsals, she recalled:

"He said, 'Oh, this is so exciting. We'll rearrange our schedule and shoot all your segments in 10 days.' He didn't give any argument. That's what I remember about him: how generous he was."

Strock made his transition to feature film directing when, as associate producer and film editor, he took over as the uncredited director of the 1953 science-fiction thriller "The Magnetic Monster." He also took over as the uncredited director of the 1953 science-fiction horror film "Donovan's Brain," whose cast included Nancy Davis Reagan.

Strock, who owned a post-production facility after he quit directing in 1980, wrote about his career in the 2000 book "Picture Perfect," part of the Scarecrow Filmmakers Series.

In addition to his daughter Leslie, he is survived by his wife of 64 years, Geraldine; daughters Candice Dell Strock and Genoa Dodd; and two grandsons.

A private memorial service will be held.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-05 10:06 am   Permalink

Stripper Candy Barr is dead:
Quote:
Candy Barr, 70; 1950s Stripper and Stag Film Star Personified the Joy and Danger of Sex

By Myrna Oliver
Times Staff Writer
Published January 3, 2006

Candy Barr, infamous 1950s stripper and stag film star once romantically linked to mobster Mickey Cohen and associated with Dallas nightclub owner Jack Ruby, has died. She was 70.

Barr died Friday of pneumonia in an Abilene, Texas, hospital. She had lived quietly in her native south Texas for several years.

Born Juanita Dale Slusher in Edna, Texas, on July 6, 1935, Barr forged a life exotic enough in the mid-20th century to inspire a biopic. (One was contemplated but never produced in the late 1980s, with Farrah Fawcett portraying Barr.)

Before the dancer's career was derailed in 1960 by a prison term for marijuana, she was earning $2,000 a week in Los Angeles and Las Vegas clubs.

It was Barr who trained actress Joan Collins for her role as an exotic dancer in the 1960 movie "Seven Thieves," earning her a credit as technical advisor.

"She taught me more about sensuality than I had learned in all my years under contract," Collins wrote in her autobiography, "Past Imperfect." Collins went on to describe Barr as "a down-to-earth girl with an incredibly gorgeous body and an angelic face."

Barr became a landmark in the sexual liberation of Texas men in the 1950s, Gary Cartwright wrote in a 1976 Texas Monthly magazine article, the same year the 41-year-old but still shapely Barr posed nude for Oui men's magazine.

Cartwright wrote that in her early career, Barr had epitomized "the conflict between sex as joy and sex as danger. The body was perfect, but it was the innocence of the face that lured you on."

In 1984, Texas Monthly listed Barr among such luminaries as Lady Bird Johnson as one of history's "perfect Texans."

"Of all the small-town bad girls," the magazine said, Barr "was the baddest."

And Barr earned her place in the exhaustive 2004 volume published by Oxford University, "Striptease: The Untold History of the Girlie Show."

Barr said she began life as "poor white trash." After her mother died when she was 9, she was ignored by her stepmother and sexually abused by a neighbor and a baby-sitter.

She fled to Dallas at the age of 13, married a safecracker at 14 and soon fell into exotic dancing and prostitution. Later claiming that she was drugged and forced to perform, she was featured in a 1951 blue movie "Smart Alec."

She befriended Ruby, owner of Dallas' Carousel Club, who was subsequently convicted of killing Lee Harvey Oswald, the assassin of President Kennedy. Federal agents questioned Barr after Oswald's killing, but she insisted she knew nothing about Ruby's involvement in any conspiracy in the Kennedy assassination.

In the early 1950s, Barr got a job as cigarette girl at Barney Weinstein's Theater Lounge in downtown Dallas. Impressed with her startling beauty, Weinstein's brother, Abe, gave her her stage name, had her bleach her hair and showcased her as a bump-and-grind burlesque queen in his Colony Club.

Barr developed her trademark costume 10-gallon hat, pasties, "scanty panties," a pair of six-shooters and cowboy boots and quickly became a favorite with fraternity boys, Dallas crime figures, businessmen and political leaders, who booked her for stag parties.

Conservative Dallas residents, however, were less impressed and began pressuring police and prosecutors to shut down Barr's act.

In 1957, she was arrested for having less than four-fifths of an ounce of marijuana concealed in her bra. She maintained that she was framed by police and was only holding the drug for a friend.

"We think we can convince a jury that a woman with her reputation, a woman who has done the things she has done, should go to prison," Assistant Dallas County Dist. Atty. Bill Alexander told the Dallas Morning News after Barr's arrest.

"She may be cute," Alexander, who would prosecute Ruby six years later, told the jury in his closing argument, "but under the evidence, she's soiled and dirty."

Barr was convicted and, under tough state laws for what would now be a misdemeanor, was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

The trial garnered national publicity and only enhanced her fame. The judge even asked to be photographed with her in his chambers.

Awaiting appeal, Barr was hired to perform in Las Vegas' El Rancho Vegas Hotel and Los Angeles' Club Largo on Sunset Boulevard, drawing $2,000 fees.

It was during this period that Barr met and dated Cohen for two months. They publicly said they were engaged, and he crisscrossed the country with her, consulting lawyers in the appeal of her sentence.

But neither the romance nor the appeal could go on forever.

"It's all over," the dapper ex-bookie told The Times in May 1959. "We're just two different kinds of people. No, we didn't have no fight. It was more like what you might call a discussion."

Two years later, Barr revealed Cohen's answer to her drug sentence when she was returned to Los Angeles to testify against him in his trial for income tax invasion, in which he was convicted and sentenced to 11 years in prison.

Barr testified that although Cohen paid her lawyers $15,000, he also gave her cash and phony identification documents, had her dye her hair and flee to Mexico. She said she got bored and returned to the U.S. shortly before her appeal was denied.

"I always wanted a brick house of my own, and it looks like I am going to have one," Barr told an assembled crowd and news media when she finally walked into Goree Farm for Women in Huntsville, Texas, in December 1959.

Then-Texas Gov. John B. Connally paroled her in 1963 and pardoned her four years later.

During her imprisonment, she took high school courses, worked as a seamstress, sang in the prison choir and played in its band.

Barr also wrote a book of poetry, which she published in 1972, titled "A Gentle Mind Confused." Its title poem stated:

Hate the world that strikes you down,

A warped lesson quickly learned,

Rebellion, a universal sound,

Nobody cares No one's concerned.

Fatigued by unyielding strife

Self-pity consoles the abused,

And the bludgeoning of daily life

Leaves a gentle mind confused."

Barr was arrested a second time for possession of marijuana in a 1969 raid on her home, but charges were dropped for lack of evidence.

She tried briefly to restart her career as a dancer in 1967 at the age of 32, again at Hollywood's Largo club, performing before a backdrop of prison bars.

"Time has been kind to Miss Barr. The onetime fiancee of Mickey Cohen is in good, if slightly gaunt, form and is still an energetic dancer," wrote Times critic Kevin Thomas. "From the audience, she seems a young woman with an aura of sadness and sorrow who is doing the thing she knows best."

Barr largely retired to a reclusive life in Texas, surrounded by her pets.

"Let the world find someone else to talk about," she told Texas Monthly in 2001. "I like being left alone."

Barr married and divorced four husbands. She had a daughter and became a grandmother, but information on survivors was not immediately available.

It's tough to find SFW images of her, but she was a beautiful woman:

[edit] NSFW links:
http://www.imagemakers.mb.ca/pinups/burlesque/candy_barr/candy1.html
http://javasbachelorpad.com/candy.html

[ This Message was edited by: freddiefreelance 2006-01-05 10:18 ]

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 01:21 am   Permalink

I was born too late.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 06:18 am   Permalink

Candy Barr is a dead ringer for my mother in law.
So from that you can infer that my wife is damn cute.

--SBiM

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 08:49 am   Permalink

lou rawls

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 08:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-06 08:49, alohabros wrote:
lou rawls

sux

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-01-06 10:48 am   Permalink

I saw Lou Rawls in the mid-90s at the Solano County Fair. He was the consummate entertainer and a super classy act. And what a voice! I always wanted to see him at the Nugget in Sparks (he sells out every year there) but I never got around to it. Damn!

- - - - - - - - - - - -

January 06,2006 | LOS ANGELES -- Grammy Award-winning singer Lou Rawls has died of lung cancer in Los Angeles. He was 72.

The velvet-voiced singer started as a church choir boy and went on to sell more than 40 million albums. He won three Grammy Awards in a career that spanned nearly five decades and a range of genres.

Rawls died this morning at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. He was hospitalized last month.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 12:22 pm   Permalink

... saw lou rawls at lax baggage claim years ago... there were also a bunch of hot disco chicks with poofie hair getting into a limo... boobs and stuff fully hangin' out and totally mackin' on each other... sidetracked would be an understatement...

... chicks rule...

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-01-19 5:00 pm   Permalink

Wilson Picket R.I.P.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1521238/20060119/index.jhtml?headlines=true

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-24 12:10 am   Permalink

Dr. Stanley Biber, 82; World Renowned Sex-Change Surgeon
By Dennis McLellan
Times Staff Writer

January 22, 2006

As a physician and general surgeon in the remote southern Colorado town of Trinidad, Dr. Stanley Biber treated the usual sore throats and broken arms and did his share of delivering babies, removing appendixes and replacing hips and knees.

But that's not what made Biber the most famous resident of Trinidad and put the former coal-mining town in the eastern foothills of the Rocky Mountains on the map.

Biber, who died of complications of pneumonia in a Pueblo hospital Monday at age 82, was known for turning tiny Trinidad into the "Sex-Change Capital of the World."

By Biber's count, he performed sex changes on 5,000 men and 800 women over the last three decades. At one point, he could boast of doing 60% of the world's sex-change operations.

"He did it for 35 years, so it's pretty hard to imagine eclipsing" his record, Dr. Marci Bowers, who took over Biber's sex-reassignment surgery practice in 2003, told The Times this week.

"He was a very huge presence for the local community here," Bowers said, "but he was an even larger presence for the transgender community."

Biber had said his sex-change patients included politicians, actors, models, police officers, judges, clergymen, teachers, a 245-pound linebacker, three Georgia brothers and an 84-year-old man "who wanted to die as a female."

Biber referred to them all as "my transsexuals."

A short, balding man given to wearing a Stetson hat, blue jeans and cowboy boots, Biber was proud of his reputation as "America's dean of sex-change surgeons."

But as he told the weekly newspaper Denver Westword in 1998, "I didn't just decide to do this. They came to me."

An Iowa native who moved to Trinidad in 1954 after serving as chief surgeon of a mobile army surgical hospital unit in Korea, Biber ran a general medical practice while serving as the town's only surgeon.

But Biber's professional life took a new direction in 1969 after a social-worker acquaintance dropped by his office. She had referred young clients with cleft palates to Biber and was impressed with his skill as a surgeon. The conversation, as Biber recounted in numerous interviews, went like this:

"Can you do my surgery?" the social worker asked.

"What kind of surgery?" Biber said.

"I'm a transsexual."

"What's that?" Biber said.

It turned out that the social worker was really a man who had been undergoing hormone treatments that soften skin, redistribute fat and cause breasts to develop in preparation for a sex-change operation.

"I wasn't very humble in those days," Biber told the Rocky Mountain News in 2004. "I was young. I told this girl, 'You know, I haven't done any, but there's no reason why I can't do this.' "

After seeking advice from Dr. Harry Benjamin, a pioneer in transsexual research, and examining hand-drawn diagrams sent to him from Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore that detailed the procedure for transforming a man's genitals into a woman's, Biber performed his first sex-change operation.

Although he later described the results as aesthetically unsatisfactory, he said his patient was pleased.

Over the years he refined the procedure and boasted in a 1995 Times interview that his work was so good that one former patient was married to a gynecologist who didn't suspect a thing.

Biber performed his sex-change operations at Trinidad's only hospital, Mount San Rafael, which was initially run by Catholic nuns.

"I hid the files from the first two or three cases in the administrator's office in the safe so nobody would know about it," he said in his Rocky Mountain News interview.

Aware that word would eventually get out, Biber gave the local Ministerial Alliance a series of three lectures about sex-change surgery and the psychological needs of the patients.

"That was the smartest thing I've ever done," he told Denver Westword. "Much to my amazement, there was no opposition. They were very understanding and accepting. All of a sudden, townspeople became very sophisticated and knew everything about transsexuals."

Not that everyone was supportive.

Biber said in the interview with The Times that he initially was ostracized by some doctors, who believed transsexuals were suffering from psychiatric problems best treated nonsurgically. It is now believed that gender dysphoria discomfort with one's natal gender has a biological basis, Bowers said.

Soon, patients from around the world were showing up at Biber's office in an old stone bank building in downtown Trinidad, a onetime stop on the old Santa Fe Trail with a population that's now about 9,000.

"He was pretty much the only place to go for quite some time," Bowers said. "In the early '70s, what happened is that while university gender dysphoria treatment programs were restricting access or getting out of the business altogether, Dr. Biber welcomed these patients.

"Dr. Biber looked at patients without judgment. He performed a safe and reliable surgery and, moreover, he believed in them. He understood what they were all about. He made it OK."

Over the years, Biber's reputation as a leading sex-change surgeon led to appearances on the Oprah Winfrey, Sally Jessy Raphael and Geraldo Rivera shows, as well as the Learning, Discovery and Playboy channels.

The prolific sex-change surgeon also was featured on the "Guinness World Records: Primetime" TV show.

Biber performed his last sex-change surgery in 2003, giving up his sex-change practice after his insurance carrier left the state and other prospective insurers placed him in a high-risk category that carried premiums of up to $300,000 a year, which he could not afford.

He figured the high premiums were because of his age.

"It's a shame," he told the Rocky Mountain News. "Intellectually, I'm sound. My hand is steady. This has been my life."

"It is indeed the end of an era with Dr. Biber retiring," Angela Gardner, executive director of the Pennsylvania-based Renaissance Transgender Assn., told Denver Westword at the time.

Trinidad officials marked the occasion by declaring Oct. 10 Stanley Biber Day.

Born in Des Moines, Biber attended a rabbinical seminary in Chicago after graduating from high school and worked as a civilian in Alaska for the Office of Strategic Services, the forerunner of the CIA, during World War II.

During the war, he decided to become a doctor instead of a rabbi and earned his medical degree from the University of Iowa in 1948. He ended his military service after the Korean War as head of the orthopedics department in what is now Ft. Carson in Colorado Springs. When he moved to Trinidad in 1954, he thought he'd work as a surgeon there for a year or so and move on. He never left.

Biber, who owned a large cattle ranch in the area, served as a Las Animas County commissioner from 1990 to 1996.

After finding an insurance company that would insure him as a general practitioner, he resumed practicing medicine in early 2004.

"He couldn't stay away," Bowers said.

Biber is survived by his wife, Mary Lee; seven children; seven stepchildren; and 22 grandchildren.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-24 9:31 pm   Permalink

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Actor Chris Penn, brother of Sean Penn, was found dead Tuesday at a condominium near the beach in Santa Monica, police said.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/24/chris.penn.obit.ap/index.html?section=cnn_latest

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
badmojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 06:38 am   Permalink

R.I.P. Nice Guy Eddie

View Profile of badmojo Send a personal message to badmojo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 5:22 pm   Permalink

Anyone else catch this??

First:

Shelley Winters starred in 120 films

Shelley Winters, a brassy actress and raconteur who appeared in more than 120 films and twice won the Academy Award for supporting performances, died Saturday at a rehabilitation center in Beverly Hills, Calif. She had been hospitalized in October after suffering a heart attack. She was 85.

Winters won her Oscars for The Diary of Anne Frank (1959), as the sloppy and nervous Mrs. Van Daan, and for A Patch of Blue (1965), in which she was one of the true screen vultures, mercilessly abusing her blind daughter (played by Elizabeth Hartman).

Her last Oscar nomination was for The Poseidon Adventure (1972), the much-lampooned all-star drama about an overturned luxury liner. She played a former swimming champion who, despite her girth, tries to take others to safety.

Then a few days later...

Actor Anthony Franciosa, Shelley Winters' ex-husband, dies

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Brooding American method actor Anthony Franciosa, who was once married to Oscar-winning screen star
Shelley Winters, has died, just five days after his famous ex-wife, his publicist said.

Franciosa, who was 77, died Thursday in a hospital in Los Angeles, where the double Academy Award winner Winters -- his wife from 1957 to 1960 -- passed away at the age of 85 last Saturday.

News reports said Franciosa, who starred in a string of television and big screen movies in a career spanning four decades, died of a massive stroke, but his publicist declined to confirm the cause of death.

"I can say only that you that Mr. Franciosa died yesterday (Thursday) just before 1:00pm (2100 GMT) at the UCLA Medical Center," publicist Dick Guttman told AFP.

"His funeral service is going to be held in a private ceremony, but it has not been determined yet," he added.

...Freaky, huh?

View Profile of tikimug Send a personal message to tikimug  Email tikimug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation