[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ General Tiki Ľ Ľ What I've learned from Tiki Central
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
What I've learned from Tiki Central
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 06:52 am   Permalink

Today is my one year TC anniversary. It doesn't feel like it's been a whole year, but it has.

I discovered TC while looking for party ideas for my wife's birthday. I was instantly hooked, and it has been nothing short of life-changing. Here's a few things I've learned over the past year:

Don't be afraid to join in the conversation. For the most part everyone here is very receptive and welcomes new imput.

Always be sincere. As long as you are up front and honest to everyone, including yourself, about what you say and do people will respect you.

When you deside to carve a tiki (or draw, paint, etc), just dive in and do it and make sure to document your results. If there's anything TCers love, it's to see pictures and give advice and support.

Spred around the love. The other thing TCers love is to recieve advice and support.

Just be cool, have fun, and enjoy yourself. As Pablus once said,"It feels so good to pass a smile along"

If you just stick around, you will make friends. Congatiki, Benzart, Aaron's Akua, Hewey, Foamy, Sam Gambino, Atomicchick, and far to many others to list here are people I list among my friends and the list grows everyday.

And lastly, rum is yummy!

Thank you, everyone, who has helped to shape Tiki Central into what it is, and for letting me be a part of your world.

Mahalo,

Finkdaddy

[ This Message was edited by: finkdaddy on 2005-05-11 07:59 ]

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 07:46 am   Permalink

Congrats FinkDaddy!

Although, if you are like me, your liver probably hates you for finding tiki

View Profile of Jawa Send a personal message to Jawa  Email Jawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 09:42 am   Permalink

Very well said and so true.

My wife thought it was a one time thing for me to try carving, Boy was she wrong.
Its because of the great advice and support and kind peeps here that I am hooked.

Congrats Finkdaddy

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 10:33 am   Permalink

Happy Anniversary FinkDaddy!

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 10:35 am   Permalink

Aaaloo-Haa!

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 10:42 am   Permalink

Congratulations Finkdaddy!

I've been realizing, over the course of the past week or so, that joining Tiki Central has been a complete and permanent lifestyle change for me.

The things I've done and the people I've met have changed me forever, and for good.

I hope to meet you finkdaddy, and share in the great internal warmth. Oh wait, that's the rum.

Spread a little Aloha
-Tikiwahine

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 11:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-11 10:42, Tikiwahine wrote:
I've been realizing, over the course of the past week or so, that joining Tiki Central has been a complete and permanent lifestyle change for me.

The things I've done and the people I've met have changed me forever, and for good.

I agree wholeheartedly! The amount of ohana that exists here continues to amaze me.

I've been hoping to get some dates via Tiki Central......still working on that one.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 11:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-11 07:46, Jawa wrote:
Although, if you are like me, your liver probably hates you for finding tiki

My liver AND my waist-line.

Congratulation FinkDaddy... well said

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 12:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-11 11:35, cynfulcynner wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-05-11 10:42, Tikiwahine wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly! The amount of ohana that exists here continues to amaze me.

I've been hoping to get some dates via Tiki Central......still working on that one.

When Tikivixen told me about TC back in the Yahoo days, I never knew it would be pretty much NumberOne in my social life! The Ohana is an inspiration to us all!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 12:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-11 11:35, cynfulcynner wrote:

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 12:35 pm   Permalink

Tiki Central was a Bait and Switch for me.

The bait "Hey you should join and post here on TC once in a while" I thought.... OK Ive been on other message boards before. How much could there possibly be to talk about?

The switch- You will spend at least part of EVERY day doing something related to TC. Buying raw materials to make tiki stuff, Actually making Tiki Stuff, Attending Events, Home Parties, Meeting people for lunch, entertaining out of town TC guests, Tiki Road Trips, Tiki Vacations, Buying Stuff from your artisian friends, selling stuff, showing up to support your musician friends.

Its been an amazing ride so far 3 years and whos counting

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 12:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-11 12:35, Monkeyman wrote:

Have we discussed where the Tiki Central retirement home is going to be yet?
This place changed me too.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PapeToaTane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 1:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-11 12:44, Unga Bunga wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-05-11 12:35, Monkeyman wrote:

Have we discussed where the Tiki Central retirement home is going to be yet?
This place changed me too.

THAT'S IT!! Unga's got it!! That's what we should do - pony up our 401K $$$ and buy the Caliente Tropics, stop the ongoing madness - and open the TC Retirement Home!! A TIKI "Leisure World", if you will!! Mai Tais and shuffleboard. Martin Denny and midnight ping-pong games! Wheelchair races around the pool!! The mind boggles!!

View Profile of PapeToaTane Send a personal message to PapeToaTane  Email PapeToaTane Goto the website of PapeToaTane     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-05-11 1:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]

No, trust me, youíre better off alone.

In fact, Iíve learned a few important things here on tiki central. Iíve learned that tiki central is, more or less, a great group of fun people, and also that if you hear any of the following at a tiki central event, most likely it is a lie:

*This is my first mai tai of the evening/day
*Iím not a Jimmy Buffet fan
*This aloha shirt is vintage, not new from Wal-mart!
*I donít have a thrift store addiction
*Iím not just looking for a ďrockin tiki good timeĒ
*My other car is a tiki bar on wheels
*This is my first tiki central event
*Iíve never dated any other tiki central members
*Iím not as think as you drunk I am
*Iíve never sniped on ebay
*Sure, I remember my last tiki central event- wasnít there a bear involved?
*I know who WWJD is
*I donít spend all my work day goofing off on tiki central
*I have a very large tiki - want to see it?
*That bad smell is not me

(especially if uttered by drunk ughly men in tiki bars)

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-11 4:44 pm   Permalink

dangergirl299 - Hey! I am NOT ugly.

Finkdaddy - Happy TC B-day.

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation