FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Marketplace Enchanted Tiki Room Tikis - Is this for real?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Enchanted Tiki Room Tikis - Is this for real?
joefla70
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-13 06:54 am   Permalink

I saw these two auctions on ebay with this description:

Original 1962 ENCHANTED TIKI ROOM Disneyland TIKI ROOM TIKI # 3

This is an ORIGINAL 1962 TIKI # 3 from DISNEYLAND's ENCHANTED TIKI ROOM Attraction. This is one of the TIKIS that descend from the Tree in THE ENCHANTED TIKI ROOM GARDENS Show. This TIKI DESIGN is also featured in the NEW SHAG TIKI ROOM ART PRINTS. This Original TIKI has stamped in the clay on the backside "C 1962 WED ENTERPRISES" This HAND PAINTED TIKI is 12 inches tall and in GOOD CONDITION. Buyer pays $90.00 for INSURED FIRST CLASS OVERNITE MAIL.

ARE THESE FOR REAL???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3974643286&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3974645025&rd=1

View Profile of joefla70 Send a personal message to joefla70  Email joefla70     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-13 07:28 am   Permalink

it looks real enough. You got to wonder where this came from. WHo had it all this time. Look at that shipping price alone. And only a buy it now.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-13 07:28 am   Permalink

it looks real enough. You got to wonder where this came from. WHo had it all this time. Look at that shipping price alone. And only a buy it now. opps

look at the prints under it, kinda cool. says shag.

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY on 2005-05-13 07:29 ]

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
joefla70
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-13 11:04 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2005-05-13 07:28, teaKEY wrote:
look at the prints under it, kinda cool. says shag.

I've never seen shag art that looks like that.

View Profile of joefla70 Send a personal message to joefla70  Email joefla70     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-13 11:30 am   Permalink

We must send out the Tangaroa-signal. He can save the day.

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-13 12:05 pm   Permalink

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-13 12:14 pm   Permalink

hey all...

the seller, Tikidug is a long time collector of disneyland and tiki stuff. his collection is pretty amazing. i believe he found those at a antique show in LA many years ago.

i have one myself, so i know they're real:

these are actually from the exterior of the building as opposed to Tangaroa babies. i haven't been to the 'new' tiki room yet, but up until a few years ago, some of these still adorned the lanai area along the roof of the Dole Whip entry way and some of the bamboo poles on the outside of the entrance.

the pics in his auction don't do them justice though. whether they're worth $21,000...well, who knows.

start breakin' open those piggy banks!

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-13 12:21 pm   Permalink

Paying $100-300 a foot for a carving is one thing, $500-600 an inch is another!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-13 12:25 pm   Permalink

well swank, as a wise ol' drunk once said, 'it's not the size of the ship, but...'

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-13 12:26 pm   Permalink

well swank, as a wise ol' drunk once said, 'it's not the size of the ship, but...'

Atomicchick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-13 2:02 pm   Permalink

I have bought many things from Konacat. He use to work at Disneyland for many many years. Something happened (not sure of the details) but he left "the happiest place on earth" and was so disgusted he moved to Hawaii. He has been a collector for (I believe he said) 20+ years, you can trust this guy, he's a good guy.

View Profile of Atomicchick Send a personal message to Atomicchick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomobile
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-15 10:51 am   Permalink

Doug is an ex-Imagineer. He designed the little short film tag that was added to the Flavor of Hawaii film that plays in the Tiki Room pre-show. He is trust worthy and has an AMAZING collection of Disneyland props and memorabilia.
Regarding the SHAG artwork, yes, Shag did use these 2 designs on his Tangaroa print. That's the one with the tree in case you are not familiar. These 2 tikis are hanging from the tree on Shag's print. They are 2 out of 3 "Tiki babies" designs. If you go to the Tiki Room today, all the Tiki's hanging from the building have been removed, and the Tangaroa Tikis have been reduced to 2 different designs.
Your friend,
Louis

View Profile of Atomobile Send a personal message to Atomobile      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-17 10:02 am   Permalink

Hey all - sorry - I was camping!

Tiki1963 - my opinion is.....
well - 1st I need to know - does your Tangaroa baby have that WED stamp on the back?

Because (as Doug & I discussed at one point) these may have been for sale to the public - why else would it have the WED 1963 copyright in the back?

Still - very cool & I'm amazed that Doug is selling them... Wish I had endless $$$$!

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-17 11:29 am   Permalink

hey tang...

hmmm..are you sure you're not speaking of the smaller retail versions that were for sale? i have a few of them that do have a 'walt disney productions' stamp but i don't think the larger ones did. they measure around 6 inches tall or sumpthin like that.

my larger baby was definitely hanging somewhere at the tiki room as the rope is all original from how it was displayed. there's no question they are rare...especially with dug's dr. evil prices!

new e-ticket yesterday. what a surprise...didn't expect another for a while. tang, you have to start doing covers for jack...yipes!

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-17 1:33 pm   Permalink

I guess I am confusing them with the smaller ones - sorry bout that! But why did they stamp them on the back? I mean - why would they if they were just castings used as decoration only in the lanai?

Yeah - new "E" Ticket this month - I updated the website last week too:
http://www.the-e-ticket.com/

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation