FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Bilge » » What is your favorite bad horror movie?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
What is your favorite bad horror movie?
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-25 10:52 pm   Permalink

Trilogy of Terror...not actually a full length movie, but classic in it's little piss and vinegar demon. (especially when he pops out of the oven)

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-25 10:54 pm   Permalink

Oops! I accidentally deleted the topic...this was my original post...

The zombie post got me thinking about this… My all-time favorite, obviously miniscule budgeted horror film was this piece of crap from the early 70’s called “Shriek of the Mutilated.” The bad aspects – lousy acting, cheesy monster costumes, lame gore effects and a severely amateurish technique of using overexposed black and white film to simulate a blizzard just make the film that much better. The plot is simple - a bunch of college kids and their professor head off to Boot Island in search of the mythical yeti, as time goes along the college buddies are knocked off one by one by the scary man in the teddy bear costume. Eventually the teacher’s pet discovers that the yeti myth was cooked up as a ploy to get fresh meat for a cult of cannibals after being attacked by a blood thirsty mob of crazies wielding razor sharp forks. I got my copy of Shriek of the Mutilated when I recorded it off “Chiller Theatre,” a late night program that weekly showcased one terrible horror movie after another, about 22 years ago and every Halloween I pull out the tape and watch it in its entirety. Oddly enough I found a commercial release of the movie about 10 years ago and bought it hoping for scenes that had been edited out of the TV copy but amazingly it cut out all the gory scenes that played on the airwaves sometime in 1983! If my description of this charming film hasn’t motivated you to go out and find a copy for yourselves let me give you one more incentive…Popcorn! Yes, Shriek of the Mutilated featured Hot Butter’s Popcorn in one of the lamest looking college party scenes you’ve ever seen in your life! A must see! What was your favorite p.o.s.?

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ This Message was edited by: johntiki on 2005-05-26 16:44 ]

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-26 04:13 am   Permalink

Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things. It's by the guy who would later create Porkys.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-26 05:12 am   Permalink

Turbogod - that's another one of my favorites! That movie is cheesy as hell but it still manages to be surprisingly creepy...

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-26 05:57 am   Permalink

I have to go with the classic A Bucket of Blood by Roger Corman.

OK, so it's more of a comedy than a horror film, but who can resist the opening poetry, "Where are John, Joe, Jake, Jim, jerk...dead...dead...dead"

-Z

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
joefla70
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-26 12:09 pm   Permalink

I like trilogy of terror as well. The little guy with the speak kinda looks like a tiki!

Do you remember a movie called "Don't be afraid of the Dark"?

It was about a young couple who inhereited an old house. They don't know that the house is inhabited by three small demons that are locked in a blocked off fireplace. The caretaker/handyman knows about the little demons and warns the wife not to open the fireplace, that some things are better left alone when she wants the old fireplace opened up. The wife ignores him and opens the fireplace herself thus releasing the little demons into the house where they terrorize her.

I also like puppet master.

View Profile of joefla70 Send a personal message to joefla70  Email joefla70     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-26 12:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things. It's by the guy who would later create Porkys.

Even more amazingly, it's the same guy who went on to make "A Christmas Story" (Bob Clark).

An early memory of a bad, creepy movie was "The Abominable Dr. Phibes" with Vincent Price. I couldn't sleep face-up ever again after that movie since I thought someone would drill a hole in my ceiling, paralyze me with drugs, drench me with cellulose goo and cover me with a thousand carnivorous insects that would eat me alive!

I also liked a movie called "Arnold" about a guy who dies and leaves a bunch of booby-traps that kill all the slimey people who are out to get his inheritance by hooking up with his widow. I'm sure it would suck mightily now.

And, of course, who doesn't like the dopiest sci-fi/horror flick of all time, "Dark Star". Funny thing is, except for a few details and a significantly smaller budget, Dark Star is exactly the same as the first "Alien" movie. It's is not so outrageous since Dan O'bannon wrote both of them.

Aw yeah - alien beachball!

Popcorn popper helmet with muffin-tin control pack! Darth Vader - eat your heart out!

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-26 1:08 pm   Permalink

Probably not my real favorite, but thought it deserved a mention.
"The Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes"
AOTKT Theme Song

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-26 1:54 pm   Permalink

My faves: Anything that's been on MST3K and "Titanic."

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PapeToaTane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-26 2:26 pm   Permalink

Wow. That brough back memories!

The few times I have been honest-to-goodness, crap-in-my-drawers scared silly by something on the big (or little) screen:

1) Any scene in Reagan's bedroom in "The Exorcist" the first time I saw it!

2) The graveyard scene with Gregory Peck and those hellish Rottweillers in "The Omen".

3) When the puppet pops out from under the kids bed in "Poltergeist"

4) When the cat jumped out of the locker in "Alien".

5) That damned spear-chucking little "demon" in the "Trilogy of Terror"!!!

View Profile of PapeToaTane Send a personal message to PapeToaTane  Email PapeToaTane Goto the website of PapeToaTane     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-26 2:51 pm   Permalink

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark, as mentioned by Joefla70,(I haven't seen it) reminds me of something I saw as a kid. I think it was Twilight Zone or something.
This lady comes back from a tropic vacation and there's some little tiny thing that came with her. I think it hid under her bed/couch and came out and got her feet. Creepy! Every since then, I've had a thing about little, scary critters. And the movies about them!!

View Profile of Hau 'oli Tiki Send a personal message to Hau 'oli Tiki  Email Hau 'oli Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-26 2:52 pm   Permalink

Reminds me also of CAt's Eye- Steven King. The little tiny ogre. Ick.

View Profile of Hau 'oli Tiki Send a personal message to Hau 'oli Tiki  Email Hau 'oli Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-26 2:59 pm   Permalink

The first few that come to mind were films I loved as a kid. I have since gone back and rented them and they Truly are bad films, but I remember them fondly:

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-26 3:01 pm   Permalink

Perhaps it's unoriginal of me, but I absolutely adore Evil Dead 2.

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-26 3:24 pm   Permalink

MAchTiki - I remember seeing Prophecy in the theater and everyone busted out laughing when the sleeping bag, supposedly with someone in it, gets hurled against the rock by the skinless muta-bear. For some reason the filmmakers thought that the predominant explosive element of such an impact would be the down feathers from the bag and not the human body inside.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation