FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Capt'n Skully's Tiki #1 Finished
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Capt'n Skully's Tiki #1 Finished
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-30 5:05 pm   Permalink

Captain, that is a great tiki, really unbelievable for a first. I like the sharp angles and different levels that you've incorporated. And judging by the pencil lines, there's lots more detail to come. You are obviously taking your time, which is great. It looks dynamite now, but wait till it's detailed, sanded to perfection, stained and glossed. Are you going to carve out the inside of the mouth? Please keep us posted.

Cheers,

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-30 7:49 pm   Permalink

Thanks again everyone! With your help, I've got the design finalized now- just figuring out a pattern for the front of the crown. I've left the chin area basically alone, just deepening it to enhance the lower lip.

Sanding has begun.

Can I cut all that out of the mouth? Without making it prone to any damage with time? It would be a little over half the depth... I'd like to scoop it all out. Is supporting the top an issue? (Palm)

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-30 9:21 pm   Permalink

Half the depth would be no problem. I've taken out up to 2/3 the depth with mexican fan palm, and it was no problem. Yes, it will look way cooler with a big gaping tiki mouth! Go for it!

A-A

-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-05-31 7:51 pm   Permalink

Well...shiver me timbers! that's one keen lookin' tiki!

awesome for #1!!!!! (you must realize that after posting a tiki like this, you have to continue carving and posting...)

Cut deep! all non-tiki wood must go!
here and here

are two examples of tikis with mouth totally cut out

I'm sure over time, the weight of the head will cause it to sag and maybe snap the wood...but that's years in the future and if the tiki is neglected and allowed to rot. I say go for it!!!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-31 9:02 pm   Permalink

You are off to a fine start with that one.
I can see that you have studied your TC carving threads well grasshopper. We are awaiting the completion of this project but you must realize that you have passed the point of no return. You are one of us now...

Congrats.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-01 6:49 pm   Permalink

welcome to the central, that tiki looks exceptional, especailly for a first. Your tiki has good style, and the cuts are very crisp, good job. Keep up the good work and keep posting those pictures. i can't wait to see this guy all finished up.

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-01 9:22 pm   Permalink

Ahoy Cap'n Skully!

What kind of palm is that anyway? I'd swear it's mexican fan palm, but I don't think you east coast guys get that type. Whatever the variety, it's holding the detail well. Pretty seasoned wood, I presume?

A-A

-Pablo Picasso

Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-01 11:39 pm   Permalink

Thanks to each of you for the compliments- really appreciated.

AA- I don't know what type of palm it is, besides free, cut and plentiful after hurricanes...

It's one of the three standard Palms around here- a Royal Palm maybe? I gave it about 2-3 months to dry before stripping, and did seal the ends when drying became more obvious... It has a tiny bit of mold that I bleached on the ends- the freshly cut inside of the mouth is beginning to mildew and is soft/mushy. I figure another bleach/prestain treatment and some grinding will cure that enough...

But after sanding, certain areas are holding crisp detail, and I can't wait to see more of the grain effects when it gets varnished- I'm going to go with a quality quick-dry indoor/outdoor marine varnish- Satin finish (recoating possible after 8 hours, 3 coats recommended). I'll give it 24hrs in between, tho.

[ This Message was edited by: Capt'n Skully on 2005-06-04 10:14 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Capt'n Skully on 2005-06-05 15:31 ]

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-05 3:34 pm   Permalink

More progress made, and I have purchased my varnish and stain. Just have to notch the teeth and a simple pattern on the headdress...

[ This Message was edited by: Capt'n Skully on 2005-06-23 16:14 ]

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-06 05:08 am   Permalink

Excellent progress shots Cap'n Skully. A couple spookey shots in there. Did you notice how this gut=ys expression Lights UP when he's putting the bite on anyone? Watch him, he's got the Devil in him.
Cool tiki almost looks Art Nouveau-ish. I like your attention to crisp detail.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-06 05:43 am   Permalink

Great first tiki!! Can't wait to see him with all finished up.

BTW, I love your signature! Arghhh...

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-06 4:05 pm   Permalink

he looks very well, i'm very impressed, you did a good job on him. Love all the photos, from start to finish. can't wait to see him all stained up and varnished.

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-07 5:25 pm   Permalink

When your tiki passes the tiki god pose it means you have a winner.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 4:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-07 17:25, Raffertiki wrote:
When your tiki passes the tiki god pose it means you have a winner.

AYE-AYE.
We should have a thread ONLY allowed for 1 picture of each finished tiki carved here- and only in the TIKI GOD POSE

Well, I'm finished with #1- Ookii Kowaii

You can see my

Progression Pics
here.

A huge thanks to everyone's encouragement and tips. Seriously.

rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-23 4:43 pm   Permalink

Damn thats 1 fine tiki.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation