FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving tikis by marcus thorn
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 Next Page )
tikis by marcus thorn
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-03-12 11:05 pm   Permalink

Quote from Benzart
___________________________________________________________________________________
Not to steal any thunder from your Ultimate Maori, but explain more about this Hula girl off the screen to the right If you would. Is she a reeal life model? A painting?
Perhaps a blow up doll or maniquin? She certainly is beautiful! I would certainly love to see pictures of your studio space there, it really looks magical, with never before seen glimpses of your secretive art world. C'Mon, PLEEZE???
______________________________________________________________________________________

As requested Ben I have taken photos of my "studio - Tiki Room" (or as my wife refers to it Arrgghhhh!)

The story of my Hula girl - would you believe somebody threw this beauty into a skip (thats a dumpster for you yanks) - she was a mannequin for Billabong Surf Shop, her rescuer was a lady who new that I would appreciate this little girl. She stands 5foot.

The rest of the room is a mixture of inspiration and a very large collection of gifts from friends and clients near and far. I have utilised a couple of vintage bamboo bars to store my stuff and display it in some kinda order.

I need to buy myself a tiki bar so I can show off all this stuff to Australians - I have a huge stash of memorabillia on Australian Tiki stuff, and my wife would love to see the end of my "studio" at home.

www.tikibeat.com.au

[ This Message was edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2007-03-12 23:17 ]

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote

Posted: 2007-03-12 11:16 pm   Permalink

Oh and to prove I havent been just sitting in my studio playing with my tikis - photos of my latest piece - it is a gear shift knob for a 32 salt flat drag car.

The request was for a customised WW1 German helmet as they are using helmets like air cleaners and the client wanted to streamline all of the accessories. So it started with the helmet and grew from there

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-12 11:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-12 23:05, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:
I need to buy myself a tiki bar so I can show off all this stuff to Australians - I have a huge stash of memorabillia on Australian Tiki stuff, and my wife would love to see the end of my "studio" at home.

Mate, if you ever need to downsize, well give me a call I particularly think those Mooneyes mugs take up too much room...

This is actually a really nice bamboo covered bar. So Marcus turns it around and uses it as shelves...

What about a nice big tiki hut up the back of your block? Yvette could get some peace and quiet in the house, and you could store all of your tiki collection in there, and Yvette would get another room in the house...

The shifter actually has quite a monkey look about it, but Im guessing it's going to be a skull? Nice

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 11:19 am   Permalink

Marcus, Thanks for taking the time to show all those pictures of your stuff. The Hula girl is a great story. What a magical room to have as your studio, Fortunate you are!
Thanks again.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote

Posted: 2007-03-13 5:36 pm   Permalink

thanks hewey and ben

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 7:07 pm   Permalink

Marcus, you are always amazing, your studio looks great. I love the backward bamboo bar, what happened to all the liquor???:)

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2007-03-13 8:58 pm   Permalink

Dude, you gots some SKILLS! Some nice art you're you're putting out. GROG like

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-14 3:22 pm   Permalink

hey Marcus,

good to see some more pics - the mural is great (and nice moai in-cognito too).

how was the burlesque night? didnt make it as we had a gig at the Zoo, and now im living in Argentina for a few months before trekking around Sth Am...

keep the tiki alive in Qld - be sure to post about any events happening so i can keep in touch with it all.

cheers,
tim.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote

Posted: 2007-03-16 6:31 pm   Permalink

Hiltiki - grog is all stored in the hut in the back yard - wife runs a great cocktail bar from there - thanks for the kind words, thanks to you too Grog.

Nice to here from you Harro - hope your travelling goes well - shame we missed your last gig - the burlesque night was Hot!

Posted: 2007-03-16 6:38 pm   Permalink

Progress on the gear shift knob

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-17 12:42 am   Permalink

Kool pad Marcus; love the hula-girl (I knew what a skip was too, heehee)
Great shifter; what are the dimensions of this wee Nazi? Its hard to tell from the photos & my brain wants to believe that it is a fullsize skull & helmet. You're a clever bloke; must have 3-D blood?

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-17 3:09 pm   Permalink

Yeah 'tis a sweet piece...I have a soft spot for skulls - for years all I was interested in drawing were skulls and skeletons. The anatomy on this fella looks spot-on!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-17 7:11 pm   Permalink

YES, The skull is Sweet (A Skull CAN be Sweet, Can't it?) and I Looked right AT it earlier and the Hula Girl had my tongue and I couldn't talk. You get to do the Most Clever pieces. What kind of wood is he?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote

Posted: 2007-03-22 01:17 am   Permalink

and some more progress on the gear shift knob.
Ben the wood I used was a piece of wattle (native australian tree)
I like to try and use timber that is not normally used for sculpture.

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-22 04:52 am   Permalink

"Skullpture"????

Very cool Marcus!

-G

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation