FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving tikis by marcus thorn
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 Next Page )
tikis by marcus thorn
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-17 4:40 pm   Permalink

here they are...

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-04-18 2:56 pm   Permalink

thanks for that hewey coooooooooool

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote

Posted: 2007-04-23 12:23 am   Permalink

A few more progress pics on the Akua. hope you like

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-23 03:11 am   Permalink

With a name like "Big Knob Racing", Im sure people are going to make a point of having a gander at the shifter... Looks fantastic! Cool to see it in-situ and in its proper context. (I wont pretend to be a fan of Nazi-esque paraphenalia, but there is no denying it is one cool car!) You're addition gives it that finishing X-factor.

Im amazed at seeing the process with Akua. He is emerging fully finished it seems - Most carvers I know tend to rough-out the entirety down to a point, then go over in finer measures slowly closing in on finished levels/shaping etc. I notice Haikai works in a similar way. I guess your 'vision' is mighty strong & little variation occurrs..? Impressive!

Eagerly awaiting progress reports. Wondering what's going to happen to the belly..?

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-23 05:26 am   Permalink

Yeah, What T3 said and the belly really sparks the imagination with so many possibilities.
I'm Very happy to se you posting Multiple progress shots of your work here. we are So Starved for that kind of thing you know!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-23 07:25 am   Permalink

Master Marcus...

Man, your work is most amazing!!

I've cruised your thread and am blown away. If you don't mind me asking....what type of finish did you use on that scull?

Best,

Babalu

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-23 9:21 pm   Permalink

He got a flat belly, being Marcus it can only mean something cool and different

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 02:57 am   Permalink

He looks great Marcus! I've always loved your "toes to nose" progress. What a wild approach to carving you have!!! I love the thickness-feeling I get from your pics. They always feel so "substantial." Yeah, I'm a fan......

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote

Posted: 2007-04-25 3:01 pm   Permalink

To explain the way I carve its like I already see the tiki in full laying there in the wood - so I pick my point at the feet usually and just work my way up. I hadnt really noticed that I do this until a few of you pointed it out - it does seem a little strange now that you mention it!

Babalu - I stained the little head and rubbed it back until I am happy with the wood exposure that shows through and then I put a matt lacquer finish on it. any choice of stain will work.

Hewey - thanks for the nice comment mate
GMan - thanks for pointing out my funny carving style - and for the admiration very humbling.
Tamapoutini - I am no big fan of "nazi" insignias but I wanted to complete the car design chosen by the owner so I had to compliment it with my gear shift knob. Thank you for your complimentary words - the belly will be a traditional style belly and like I mentioned above I really didnt see it until you fellas pointed it out, I guess the inner carver in me takes over and its not until I step back and look at the piece that I can see for the first time what I have created. Bit of a buzz.

Ben - as always thank you for stopping by and commentary - I hope you like these next progress shots.

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 3:50 pm   Permalink

I wouldn't worry much about the helmet, the Imperial style predates WW1 and was long gone in Germany by Hitler's time. I was just rereading my "Lowbrow art of Robert Williams" book the other day and he's a huge collector of these, so they have obviously had a long association with lowbrow/hotrod culture.

Another powerful looking tiki Marcus - as Benz said we are lucky to get these pics. Seems like everyone's gone pendant crazy these days and we don't get to see as many big boys as we used to. These to me really are the closest I've seen here in form and surface treatment to the old museum pieces from Hawaii, but with enough originality to make them your own.
It is also pretty interesting to look at how you work these out from the bottom up. I thought there was going to be some sort of attachment on the belly too?

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 4:54 pm   Permalink

This is another typical Excellent Marcus Tiki. You need to know that I am VERY Envious of your ability to create these traditional looking pieces with such ease. Also, Paipo hits the nail on the head with his assessment of your Museum quality work standing alone in the community. You have no idea just how terrific your work is and the impact it has on me and other artists. Thanks for the pictures, HappyHappyahappy.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 5:00 pm   Permalink

Indeed! Happy Happy!!

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 9:01 pm   Permalink

Lookin Sharp Marcus!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote

Posted: 2007-04-26 4:26 pm   Permalink

wow i love you alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-26 4:59 pm   Permalink

Hows that Buick coming along mate? Should be getting somewhere? Is that "custom body" sign for it or kustom city?

oh yeh, super sweet tiki!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation