FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » tikis by marcus thorn
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 Next Page )
tikis by marcus thorn
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-21 04:22 am   Permalink

Got to spend a couple of hours, share a few beers and some poki with Marcus at Karen's house before the show! Some proof that Marcus was actually working

Karen's Dad was keeping himself busy and out of trouble...boy, some of his stories about his earlier days in Hawaii were hilarious....We won't mention the firetruck

Forgot to bring my camera to the show

Aloha, Freddie

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-21 04:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

You can tell this guy was hand applying his penis enhancing creme...
Freddie

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-21 7:19 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the update guys love to see whats up with Markus.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 01:09 am   Permalink

"Marcus Thorn, tiki carver in Hawaii". Im sure its good and interesting, but I dont have sound on this computer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XESaZF33pOQ

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kroozzn62
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-02 06:57 am   Permalink

i just a hour watchin tiki tv etc coool

View Profile of kroozzn62 Send a personal message to kroozzn62      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-02 12:32 pm   Permalink

Nice interview Marcus, Thanks for the props.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-03 8:25 pm   Permalink

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to have been away so long. Just home again after another trip to Hawaii.

Thought before I got stuck into projects here I’d say an overdue Hey, and follow up on what’s been happening in Hawaii.

I arrived in late June and finished “Henry”. His Hawaiian name given by Karen’s uncle Keoki, is Heneri Kumu Manako- which translates to Henry Mango Tree.

The tree came from Henry street on the Windward side of Oahu and was really nice to carve, initially it was softer and had a texture similar to palm.

It hardened up between trips with very little cracking. Our mango didn’t have a lot of color or character so we decided to finish it in “Trader Vic’s”- which has nothing really to do with Trader Vic’s is just is the name of our Antique finish. We are really happy with the results.

This trip I began an 8’ New Zealand style carving “ Kappy”.

Kappy’s Hawaiian name is Ohai Kapiolani - after Kapiolani Boulevard and Ohai the Hawaiian name for Monkeypod.

Kappy is made from a beautiful old log, it is my first time with this wood and I loved working it. Kappy has a beautiful long sweeping grain, a light sap wood and deeply colored heart. The result is a nice high/low shading similar to what occurred on the Tiki Beat tiki. My plan is to do a lot of surface tattoo work on this piece which I’m looking forward to.

I arrived in June and the late July date for the Hawaii all-collectors show rolled around quickly. Loading sculpture at this scale is a challenge. Karen’s cousin Pomai has never missed a Big Tiki move for her, even though he lives on Maui. Pomai, a Maui fireman and former Honolulu Bus driver got the driving honors because I prefer the other side of the road and don’t really know the city all that well.

There were moments that didn’t go so smoothly, someday we will show the film under heading; “How not to move 1000+ lbs. of wood”, but Kappy, Henry and their stupid humans survived.

The show was such a good time we signed on again for next summer. Ilene and Wayne who run the show were awesome to work with. They offered so much assistance (fork lift) and support, and are just the nicest people. It’s an enormous show, and I highly recommend it as a not to be missed experience for anyone interested in seeing lots of Tiki, Hawaiiana and Vintage Collectables.

Karen has always had a lot of support from her family for her Antiques and Collectables business, so our double booth was fully staffed with Pops, Cousins, Nieces and the indispensible Auntie Irene.

To date I’m the only non Maguire ever to work in the booth, so I think this means I’ve been adopted into the Ohana.

With my 2 big carvings Karen showed a nice collection of Vintage Velvet paintings: Tyree (2), Leeteg (1), Behan (3), and Miller (1).

I met some great Tiki Central folks. Freddie- House of Ku is a new mate, enjoyed the good times we had enjoying Pau Hana beer and poke. Max is a new friend too, many of you may know him from his association with the Thor store. Mr Van tiki whose been doing outstanding work with art mugs also stopped in to say aloha. The Tikimaster himself; Jerome made a point to come in to the show to welcome me to the Islands. I really appreciated the support he offered for our venture. I also met a couple that share my love of Art and Hot rods; Jason and Tracy. Both artists themselves, they treated me to a nice ride in their sweet old 51 Chevy and 53 Dodge.

Yvette, made everything possible by holding down things at home, I’m looking forward to a trip soon where she’ll get to meet everyone in Hawaii and experience the Aloha Spirit first hand.

I will post photos later today.

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-06 03:37 am   Permalink

Ok I know I said I would post photos today (yesterday) but I ran out of day so here they are now...

Hawaiian Cultural Centre - One of my rare days off the chain Karen took me on an outing. (however, I am now suspicious as I feel it may have been work disguised as a day off?)

Giving Henri the tiki beat "trader vics style" antique finish

My next project in its natural state

taking shape

Loading tikis onto the truck to take to my live carving debut in Hawaii

All tucked in waiting for my return next month.

Thanks for taking the time to check out my stuff - Hewey I am sorry I am becoming a bit of a tourist down under great to see that you are starting on some projects of your own however I feel it is a sad thing that you have stopped the striping because you do have a flare - but admire your choice to concentrate on one or two things - I wish I had more time to paint, maybe next year.

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-06 03:42 am   Permalink

Ps. Tikibeats home for sale in Australia, Greenbank Queenlsand - check it out if you are looking for a new place
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=depi&id=105094006&width=800&height=600&img=m&p=10&s=qld&t=res

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 03:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-06 03:37, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:

Unbelievable! Probably the nicest tiki I've seen posted here all year - classic, vintage style Poly Pop, but 100% Marcus all the way too. These trips are definitely bringing out something special in your work!
I can't wait for the next chapter....

Edit: I should preview my posts...I wasn't referring to the RAW LOG! Fixed now
PS Swank pad Marcus - my wife insisted I saved all of the photos!

[ This Message was edited by: Paipo 2008-08-06 13:10 ]

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kroozzn62
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 04:27 am   Permalink

love the antique finish and design marcus, next time your in sydney let me or hewey know well have to meet up ,we might be organising a tiki carving night at a vw/hotrod/custom bike shop in penrith when it get a tad warmer .Cheers Brendon

View Profile of kroozzn62 Send a personal message to kroozzn62      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 04:30 am   Permalink

Very nice work mate

Quote:
I wish I had more time to paint, maybe next year.

Love the house pics too, they're great

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 08:21 am   Permalink

Truly outstanding tiki's. Love the toolmarks and the finish. Exceptional work as always!!

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AKUAE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 09:12 am   Permalink

Rockin work - a outstanding finish and great details
i cant' wait to see more pics
greets
Akuae

tikiller - coxico - benella - laojia - bai - akuae and jimmy virani

for more informations go to :
http://www.myspace.com/tiki-tribe

http://www.myspace.com/akuae

View Profile of AKUAE Send a personal message to AKUAE  Goto the website of AKUAE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 11:55 am   Permalink

Wow, Marcus, What a treat, Unbelievable tikis. I believe your work has Really blossomed with these trips and exposure to the Far off tiki worlds. Very professional looking stuff here and you know now that you have raised your bar we'll expect nothing less from now on
I can't say enough how much respect you have earned.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation