FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events tabu tiki night - now it can be told!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
tabu tiki night - now it can be told!
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-06 12:39 pm   Permalink

One-year anniversary of Tabu Tiki nights!

If you make it to only ONE Tabu Tiki night event, make it THIS one!
Why wait?
It's summer time - live a little!

Experience!
The amazing King Kukulele, who will travel all the way from Los Angeles to delight and entertain you!

Hear!
JT's Kon-Tiki Sound System, (spinning vintage Exotica, surf, lounge, and Hawaiian music).

See!
Spectacular Tiki art by Chicago pop artist Esqui, and Tiki carvings, signs, and wall decorations by Dave from Lake Tiki.

Eat!
Complimentary pupus (appetizers) until 9:30.

Win!
Raffle for cool items from:

Lake Tiki (http://home.earthlink.net/~tikidavejenni/),
Tiki Farm (http://www.tikifarm.com),
Harmony Ball (http://www.harmonyball.com)
and
DvA Gallery (http://www.dvagallery.com)!

Imbibe!
Drink specials -
Our "drink of the month" special: a newly created rum cocktail invented just for tonight's event.

Save!
The usual $5 Zombie special will be in effect.

There's still room for artists and carvers to get involved - show off your work!
Contact James at:
tikibars@yahoo.com

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars 2005-08-03 12:27 ]

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-12 08:41 am   Permalink

Any of the local Chicago Tiki crew want to get together at the Chef / Hala with King K on Monday or Tuesday?

PM me...

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-13 07:46 am   Permalink

Hey hey... its Summer!

Congrats to JT and AJ for their dedication to keeping this great event going! Something to look forward to every month!

Hope to see all the usual suspects this Wednesday as well as many other new faces!

I've been real busy getting ready for the tiki art show at DVA, Tabu Tiki Night, Exotica and last but not least, Hukilau!
But I've managed to find the time to crank out some brand new items that will be premiering Wednesday night. Stop on down and take a look.

Bringing the handcrafted art of tiki to you here in the Midwest... Lake Tiki!

See you Wednesday!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lissette EsQui
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-14 12:00 pm   Permalink

Aloha everyone! Tomorrow's Tabu Tiki Night sounds amazing. Unfortunately we're going to miss the festivities since we're out of town again. We're gonna miss King Kukulele for the second time. Have a great time everyone and we'll see you for next month's Tabu Tiki Night and Exotica! Happy One Year Anniversary Tabu Tiki Night! Congratulations JT and AJ on your success!

Lissette EsQui

View Profile of Lissette EsQui Send a personal message to Lissette EsQui  Goto the website of Lissette EsQui     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-15 12:51 am   Permalink

So sorry you guys have to miss this one... because the rumours are true - this is the FINAL Tabu Tiki Night.

I will post the whole sordid tale on Thursday (already written, and it is long - 7 pages!).

If you've been meaning to make it out to Tabu Tiki night, this is your chance!

As I type this, King Kukulele is watching DVDs in my living room, and I am about to pre-load my car for tomorrow - I have three boxes of raffle prizes to load up, and lots of other madness in store for the last luau.

No holds barred... this is going to be HUGE.

BE THERE!

freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-15 09:22 am   Permalink

I'm sorry to hear this, JT, that means I'm never going to get to go. My wife's in Chicago to go to her family reunion & I think she might be there at TV's tonight with our Son & Daughter-in-Law (I've been trying to talk her into going for a week & a half), and I'm going to try getting some cousins & maybe a Sister-in-Law to go, too. I'm going to be making last minute calls trying to convince them to go as soon as I get off work.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-15 10:26 am   Permalink

Cool Freddie.

Make sure they come over and say hi.

I have raffle and promo items from several different sources that were supposed to last me through the August event, but they're all going home with people tonight.

Few regulars or friends of the ohana will leave empty-handed, I suspect.

Take home Tiki mugs from Trader Vic's, and you don't have to steal 'em!

hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-15 8:26 pm   Permalink

crap, im reading this at 10:30 pm on wed. and 2 hours away......welp, hope to see you all at the barefoot hawaiian shin-dig on friday, or the dva tiki art show on sat, or exotica....

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-17 1:36 pm   Permalink

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

tiki junkman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-17 5:29 pm   Permalink

It will be sad to see those nights go. They were a hell uv a time (those that I could make). James, the King, Dave, and all else who participated- a great big MAHALO for making those nights such a great time. Can't wait to see those big carvings from Lake Surfer at DvA Gallery this weekend. I got a sneak peek from his camera. Hopefully see everybody Saturday.

Aloha

tiki junkman

View Profile of tiki junkman Send a personal message to tiki junkman  Email tiki junkman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-17 11:01 pm   Permalink

I'll miss this guy every month... AJ is a class act.

What a great time the last Tabu Tiki Night was... such a shame to be saying that considering it was the last one, but we went out with a bang. The King was classic calling out Waiter Eugene and Waitress Angel... not to mention every other new person who entered the room was serenaded with "If I knew you were coming I'd have baked a cake." The King's bungee uke caught a few off guard too. It was great having you in the Midwest again Denny, look forward to seeing you at Exotica. I'll try to have "Underneath the Mango Tree" memorized by then!

Thanks to all those who took home a Lake Tiki product over the last year. It will be a bit harder to get a genuine Midwest tiki in Chicago without Tabu Tiki Nights but I'll have a truckload of tiki goodies at Exotica. And I'm making the voyage to Hukilau this year again.

JT... big mahalos for everything... I fully enjoyed the last year at Trader Vic's... look forward to seeing you at future tiki gatherings!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EsQui
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-29 7:00 pm   Permalink

Say it's not true! What happened? It's bad enough that the event is over, but I missed the last one!!! Any other plans?

EsQui.

View Profile of EsQui Send a personal message to EsQui  Email EsQui Goto the website of EsQui     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-03 12:29 pm   Permalink

(I posted a long, long story of how the people at the Palmer House jacked me around when I was trying to keep this event going. A recent conversation reminded me of this thread. At this time, I prefer not to air my dirty laundry, even if it is nearly six years old, on a public forum. So I removed it.)

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars 2011-03-05 11:32 ]

alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-03 1:02 pm   Permalink

couldn't get through the whole thing,but what was interesting was the apparent lack of physical documentation... in the future document everything and, remember, if something is really important to you, kickbacks can work really well, too! you can leverage your interest if you grease the wheel and send it spinning into a corner... hard to get out of it without someone's help...

[ This Message was edited by: alohabros 2005-08-03 13:11 ]

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-08-03 1:33 pm   Permalink

I agree with James. Go to Trader Vic's as much as you can! Buy its drinks and food!

Personally, as I mentioned at TV's last week, it's easy for me to forego a live band and other hoopla and just enjoy good food, good drink, good ambiance and good company.

James, that was terrible the way you were yanked around by those folks. If you would like me to write a disgruntled attorney letter on your behalf to the Palmer folks (sounds, at the very least, like a good small claims matter) - let me know.

If you have any connections to your local newspapers and media, you might want to place a call as well to see if anyone is interested in publicizing your story...

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation