FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Help Atomic Cocktail find Old Tom Gin & Batavia Arrack
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Help Atomic Cocktail find Old Tom Gin & Batavia Arrack
JaredB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-14 4:22 pm   Permalink

Yes, bevwar and a few other places have Plymouth gin, but it's not the Navy Strength. That one is U.K. only. Let's hope that changes in the future.

View Profile of JaredB Send a personal message to JaredB      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-05 3:52 pm   Permalink

I got some Old Tom Gin thanks to the Jab. he found it at Weimax, a liquor store in Burlingame (south of San Francisco).

Interesting stuff!

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
UtopianDreem
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-07-07 11:10 pm   Permalink

Well, so far no luck on getting Batavia Arak, but got some info. Grunerwald Batavia Arak is sold in the Netherlands but the supplier, H. van Toor Jz. Distillery B.V., does not have a US distributor.

Anyone going to the Netherlands who can pick up a bottle or 12?

View Profile of UtopianDreem Send a personal message to UtopianDreem  Email UtopianDreem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-07 11:21 pm   Permalink

I keep seeing this thread and thinking that Atomic Cocktail wants some Bavaria Attack. I'm not quite sure what that would be -- cuckoo clocks gone terribly awry, pecking out eyes and making eardrums bleed? I can't imagine why anyone would want that.

But if anyone would, I think it would be Atomic Cocktail.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-11-08 10:45 pm   Permalink

Here's a heads up on the Plymouth Gin.

The Plymouth Gin "original strength" is on sale at BevMo. Normally $21.99 for the 750ml bottle, it is now on sale for $10.99 until January 2, 2006.

Whudduh deal!

All you Martini (and Singapore Sling) aficionados, stock up now!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-11-09 12:44 pm   Permalink

Thanks for mentioning that- what a sale! I got two last week.

BTW, I have met the promotions rep for Plymouth Gin, who is a famous local bartender. He tells me there are currently no plans to bring Navy strength to the US, but he's lobbying and hoping that will change. He's supposed to be coming over to see me at Vic's with some samples of Navy Strength as well as Plymouth's Sloe Gin and Fruit Cup. Can't wait!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-10 7:21 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the info I got 2 at Bev Mo in Woodland Hills, 2 more left.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-11-18 10:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-09 12:44, martiki wrote:
BTW, I have met the promotions rep for Plymouth Gin, who is a famous local bartender. He tells me there are currently no plans to bring Navy strength to the US, but he's lobbying and hoping that will change. He's supposed to be coming over to see me at Vic's with some samples of Navy Strength as well as Plymouth's Sloe Gin and Fruit Cup. Can't wait!

Please give us a review of the samplings you lucky #%$@ !

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-22 9:47 pm   Permalink

Not having found this thread, in spite of searching, I started another thread looking for Arraks.

My pal KuKuAhu located a web site for it:

http://www.saturnus.se/eng/produkter/likorextrakt.html

As stated in my other thread, a bartender here in Chicago had Saturnus brand Arraks Punsch and made me an excellent drink with it.
I am now on a mission.

And you know what happens when I become obsessed.
Books happen.
hmmm... next flight to Sweden leaves in three hours.
I can make it...

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2007-01-22 11:24 pm   Permalink

Arrack Punch is a sweetened Batavia Arrack.
Sounds good to me!

From
CocktailDB.com:

Swedish Punch/Punsch

Type:
Liqueurs, spirit-flavored

Also known as:
Caloric Punch, Caloric Punsch, Arak Punch, Arrack Punch, Arak Punsch, Arrack Punsch

Description:
Generic for a type of smoky Scandinavian liqueur, Batavia Arak/Arrack-based & flavored. Batavia Arak is a distillate of fermented sugar cane juice and fermented Javanese rice - which creates a sharp smoky rummy spirit. Swedish Punsch (or Punch) sweetens this with cane sugar to produce an unforgettable liqueur. Notable brands are Cederlund's Carlshamn's and Gronstedt. Like a dark smoky rum and when added to other lesser rums tends to enhance their value in an estimable way.

Flavor:
rum, smokey and sweet

Availability:
Limited availability. Produced and sold in Sweden. Rarely exported. Regional.

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2007-01-22 11:55 pm   Permalink

More than one Swedish Punch available by mailorder:

Carlshamns Flaggpunsch Original

Carlshamns Dry Flaggpunsch Original

I have no idea if these are any good or if they are even close to what tikibars had.

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2007-01-23 12:47 am   Permalink

This place sells the Saturnus Arraks Punsch:

http://www.marinamarket.com/Holiday%20Specialties.htm

van Oosten
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-09 06:18 am   Permalink

Batavia Arrack is now available in California and starting next month in New York. Feel free to email me for more details.

The ingredients for the Saturnus Arraks Punsch Extract, referenced in the prior post, is shown on the producer's website (here translated): "Water , sugar, invert sugar, fructose syrup, aromas, juice of lemon, preservatives E202 and E211, ascorbic acid, citric acid. Add vodka or other spirit."

I'd suggest making your own Swedish Punsch - it's very easy once you've got the base spirit.

View Profile of van Oosten Send a personal message to van Oosten  Goto the website of van Oosten     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stickyii

Posted: 2007-08-09 06:22 am   Permalink

Haus Alpenz <a href="http://www.alpenz.com/portfolio.htm">carries Batavia Arrack</a>. I think it's now available in NY, but if you contact them, I'm sure they can work something out to ship to you.

View Profile of stickyii Send a personal message to stickyii  Goto the website of stickyii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-05 4:25 pm   Permalink

Tiki Bird just let me know that Hi-Times in Costa Mesa carriers Batavia Arrack!!!!

http://www.hitimewine.net/istar.asp?a=6&id=166569!2803

My journey is almost over.

Perhaps it will wash the taste of the bathtub gin from me mouth.

AC

Now that's f*cked up, Y'all!!!!!!!

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation