FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Trader Vics in Dallas, TX Now Open!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Trader Vics in Dallas, TX Now Open!!
suelo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-04 3:26 pm   Permalink

Okay, I found the link to my pics.
http://members2.clubphoto.com/kristen204272/1643105/guest.phtml
The hotel is undergoing some MAJOR construction right now, and the only thing going on around the tiki area is that the a-frame that was above the front door has been destroyed. It was pretty run down so I imagine they will reconstruct it. Wow, these pics are about a year & a half old now...I've lost 20lbs. since then & have blond hair...how times change!

View Profile of suelo Send a personal message to suelo  Goto the website of suelo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-04 3:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Hi! This is long lost Suelo

Suelo! Where have you been??? I'm ready for a Dallas get-together when you are.

Those pics of the interior are great. They're the only ones I've seen of the interior of the Dallas location.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hazmania
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-24 10:25 am   Permalink

The Dallas Morning News had an article in the Guide section today re: Dallas Trader Vic's reopening in August. Reporter said it was ready to go now and looked great. I think they are waiting on the rest of the building to be finished. Anyone know how to get an advance preview?

View Profile of hazmania Send a personal message to hazmania  Email hazmania     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-25 08:49 am   Permalink

From the Dallas Morning News:

MAI TAI TIME

Yes, those are tiki drums you hear beating in the distance. Dallas' old Trader Vics at Mockingbird and Central is readying for an August reopening in the ultrahip Hotel Palomar (with condos and Exhale spa). During a tour Thursday, Trader Vics looked ready to go, with its original Polynesian carvings, bamboo walls and wicker-basket lights. Dallas' Polynesian passion pit will be run by Jim Sibert, who started the trailer-trash-inspired Double Wide on the edge of Deep Ellum.

OK, so I guess we're on again?

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-27 5:16 pm   Permalink

I freekin hope so!

BTW My band has played at the Double Wide a few times. And yes, it is a double wide mobile home.

www.unklejohn.com

My Tiki Lounge http://unklejohn.suddenlaunch.com/index.cgi

[ This Message was edited by: Unkle John 2006-02-27 17:19 ]

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-28 08:56 am   Permalink

I got an email today from the developers.

Part of it said...

"I am working on the Dallas Trader Vic’s . My client is the franchisee and we are working with the corporate office in San Fran.

The original closed over 15 years ago and is intact and slated to reopen in August of this year. The kitchen is being renovated and a new entry corridor will take guests to the original entry and interior. It is part of a massive hotel renovation and mixed use development called Palomar (kimpton hotels from san fran.)

The interior is amazing and we are doing all we can to restore and keep it original. "

...sounds like they're doing it right!

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-28 1:22 pm   Permalink

Mahalo James...I guess that makes it official!

tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-28 5:46 pm   Permalink

Alright! August Tiki road trip!

This is good news, particularly with the rumor of the closing of the Beverly Hills location.

And there's plenty of googie in Dallas/Arlington/Ft Worth, too.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 09:18 am   Permalink

I am *SO* making the trip for the opening!!

(Please, God, don't let it be on a Friday night after school starts so I can keep my promise!!)

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suelo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-02 06:50 am   Permalink

What I want to know is if anyone has heard of an opening date. If you drive by the site, it really doesn't look like the whole building, condos and all could be ready in a few months. It's not up to speed with the typical Dallas "new money" condos that are popping up on every corner. Maybe they will keep the architecture true to the original form?? That would be a novel idea...sorry if I sound a little bitter!
Nevertheless...the tiki's are coming, the tiki's are coming, the tiki's are coming, the tiki's care coming.....

View Profile of suelo Send a personal message to suelo  Goto the website of suelo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-10 12:11 pm   Permalink

More news on the Dallas Trader Vic's...

From the Dallas Morning News

Quote:

Tiki me fancy: Trader Vic's to relight the torches

10:04 PM CST on Wednesday, March 8, 2006

ALAN PEPPARD

Grab your coconuts, folks: Polynesian Pop is making a comeback. Luckily for restaurant and nightclub veteran Jim Sibert (State Bar, Double Wide), Dallas' venerable Trader Vic's restaurant has remained virtually sealed in amber since it closed in the spring of 1989. With the South Pacific resurgence, new Trader Vic's locations are opening this year in Scottsdale, Ariz.; Bellevue, Wash.; Chicago; Las Vegas; and Dallas.

Jim owns the local franchise for Trader Vic's. He and general partner Angus Wynne plan to reopen in the original Trader Vic's location (in what was the Dallas Hilton Inn) in late summer concurrent with the opening of the new Hotel Palomar.

Expect a traditional-Tiki- meets-neo-Tiki décor. The original furniture and fixtures are still in place.

"But we've got a treasure-trove of new decorations, furniture and wall coverings that we're adding," says Angus. "Plus there will be a whole new kitchen. Most of the original stuff isn't up to code now." (The Dallas Trader Vic's opened in 1966.)

Angus reports that they are in negotiations with a top-name chef to run the kitchen. "It will be great food," he says, "and, of course, lots of eight-straw drinks."

And don't forget the sexy Polynesian dark ambience conducive to illicit rendezvousing.

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-03-10 12:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

"But we've got a treasure-trove of new decorations, furniture and wall coverings that we're adding," says Angus.

Uh oh. I hope he doesn't mean beer posters and strings of little white lights.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-10 2:26 pm   Permalink

[quote]On 2006-03-10 12:39, thejab wrote:
Quote:
Uh oh. I hope he doesn't mean beer posters and strings of little white lights.

Party City brown, purple and green plastic tiki masks...

Has somebody gotten these boys in touch with Bamboo Ben, Crazy Al, etc.?
I know BB is crazy busy with the Kon-Tiki, but I'd sure rather wait for pros like him to do it well, than for it to be done quickly and crappily by any Joe Schmo.

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-12 7:52 pm   Permalink

Working for a beer company in Dallas back in the late 90's, I can say the three distributors (Miller, Bud, Coors) are probably beating a path back to TV so they can place thier POS banners, table tents, and just all over. It's a very competative market. I say, let the beer companies have Tiki Bob's (if that discrace is still open) and leave TV alone to the "upper-crust booze conisours" and tiki lovers. I will shed a tear if i see a neon sign or anything (other than a menu) advertizing beer. I love beer, don't get me wrong, I don't think TV needs it.

PS, please send this thread to the owner so he can see our support.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suelo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-04-22 5:33 pm   Permalink

I drive by this location quite a few times a week since I only live about 2 exits up the highway from it. Today was the first sign of construction around the Trader Vic's part of the building. If ANYONE gets wind of an opening date, please post so we can plan a TX TIKI event! Mahalo!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation