FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Trader Vics in Dallas, TX Now Open!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Trader Vics in Dallas, TX Now Open!!
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-29 8:40 pm   Permalink

So we need to start to figure out when we need to hold our gathering at TV. I'm up for early to mid-March if any of you want to wait that long. But Feb 24th is fine with me. I was also wondering if any of you would want to do a crawl to a few of the other tiki.... inspired bars around Dallas (sans Tiki Bob's Cantina) OR would any of the Dallas area ohana wish to open their homes to us so that we could view their collections, creations, home bars and to share a drink.

If I still lived in Dallas I would love for you guys and gals to swing buy. But I currently live in the Lubbock area. But if anyone travels to this site of the state, my door is open for you to come by. Just give me a heads up before hand, please.

I also want non-Texas tikiphiles to know they are welcome to come down as well to help celebrate this exciting event.

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ This Message was edited by: Unkle John 2007-01-31 16:45 ]

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
whorton
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-01 7:53 pm   Permalink

Regarding the Trader Vic's opening . . .

Noticed that the web site, tradervicsdallas.com is returning a blank page as of Feb 1, at 2145 hours. . .

"I gotta bad feeling about this one. . "
John McGinley Platoon & Wall street

I really hope not, I would love to come down and be a part of the festivities.

Wesley Horton
another pesky Oklahoma Tiki

View Profile of whorton Send a personal message to whorton  Email whorton     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-01 9:08 pm   Permalink

No worries, brother to the north. Kenike is on the guest list for the opening on the 11th. The site isn't loading for me either, probably just server problems. From what I understand, the 11th is a trail run, for the papers and people who want to be there. The true public opening will probably be a week later.

We are thinking sometime in the spring or summer for our meet-up when the weather is warmer and safer for ohana coming from areas were traveling can be hazardous. Details are on the tiki texas board I run. Again anyone is welcome to join in.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hazmania
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-02 09:08 am   Permalink

The Dallas Morning News reports today that the public Grand Opening for the new Trader Vic's is Februaury 16. There are a couple of private parties before then.

View Profile of hazmania Send a personal message to hazmania  Email hazmania     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-02 09:28 am   Permalink

I look in the paper every day for news about TV and somehow I always miss it. Thanks again Hazmania!

Return of Vic's

The resurrection of Trader Vic's is at hand. The owners of Hotel Palomar have restored the venerable Mockingbird Lane tiki emporium and are planning to open the doors to the public Feb. 16. But in the days leading up to the opening, they're having a couple of private shakedown luaus. Invited friends of operators Jeff "Lava Lamp" Berry, Kip "Coconut" Sowden and Rusty "Rat Fink" Fenton will serve as guinea pigs as the staff figures out how to properly place the pu pu platters.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BrickHorn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-02 09:44 am   Permalink

Hopefully, they're merely updating the site to reflect the Feb. 16th date.

View Profile of BrickHorn Send a personal message to BrickHorn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
whorton
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-05 03:23 am   Permalink

Hey Unkle John,

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know how to get on the list for the unofficial opening on the 11th? The better half and I would love to come down if possible!!

I am guessing that the gala opening on the 11th would have fewer people, and as such might be the better choice.

Regards,
Pesky Oklahoma Tiki

View Profile of whorton Send a personal message to whorton  Email whorton     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-06 09:38 am   Permalink

From yesterdays Dallas Morning News:

Flurry with the tiki?

Like a scene from a rejected Gilligan's Island script, something strange happened when the big new tiki statue was put into place Wednesday in front of the about-to-open Trader Vic's at Hotel Palomar.

"As soon as we put up the tiki, it started snowing," says Palomar and Vic's co-owner Jeff Berry. "I don't know what that means."

For you historical purists, this isn't the original Trader Vic's tiki statue that, for more than two decades, watched sphinx-like over Mockingbird Lane.

"It's not the original big one, but it's big and imposing," says Jeff. "We still have thoughts of getting original Mr. Tiki up."

No snow but here's the tiki:

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-06 12:19 pm   Permalink

Is this "new" tiki, um, female? Like, really-flat-female? Or just anatomically incorrect male with very compact, round pecs?

And from whence came s/he?
I remember reading about their getting it out of some dusty old warehouse or something, but that could be a lie or my bad memory, or both.

See you soon, Kenike!
F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-06 9:14 pm   Permalink

To read about the old Trader Vic's tiki you can click here:
old Trder Vic's Tiki article

Addition: The Trader Vic's tiki that showed up on ebay a while back actually belong to the one in Dallas? Or did we determine it was one like it? ebay Trder Vic's Tiki

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ This Message was edited by: Unkle John 2007-02-06 21:59 ]

Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-07 02:04 am   Permalink

I don't remember what that Ebay tiki looked like. The Moai pictured in the first link (laying on his back) is the original. In that same thread there's a post by TheJab that had some pics he took in 1999 of the Moai when it was still holding vigil in front of TV. The pics aren't there anymore but luckily I saved them:

In the first pic you can see the entrance to TV in front of the Hilton (which is now the Palomar). This area has doesn't look anything like this anymore.

Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-08 5:00 pm   Permalink

The preview dinner has been pushed back a week...the official opening..??? I'm guessing the 23rd or so.

Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-08 6:34 pm   Permalink

(Sighs heavily) ... why does that not surpirse me at all.
I wonder if it's all a cruel joke on us.

PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-08 7:00 pm   Permalink

Well, remember their nice website with all the Flash animation? Now it just says:

Quote:
Trader Vics Dallas
has been suspended due to non-payment.

If you represent the client that has failed to make payment please resolve this issue by contacting Brainfood's billing department.

http://www.tradervicsdallas.com/

Ooopsey! Not a good thing to have your web presence disappear so close to opening.

I wonder if they're even aware of this?

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-08 7:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I wonder if they're even aware of this?

LoL, I guess they are now!

Apparently there's still some construction issues at TV. Luckily we have a flexible babysitter.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation