FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving AlienTIKI Traditional, Midcentury Polypop and a couple marqs
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
AlienTIKI Traditional, Midcentury Polypop and a couple marqs
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 6:24 pm   Permalink

Thanks Flynny and Haikai! I appreciate the kind words.
Here's what I started today. Ku out of Mango.

The first out eight. A project deadline is one month and I've barely started today.

Check back here as I hope to post progress on the 8 mango pieces frequently.

Mahalos for looking.

View Profile of AlienTiki Send a personal message to AlienTiki  Goto the website of AlienTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 6:41 pm   Permalink

Mango-Ku; sounds like a new fruit drink! Are they a commissioned series..? Theres just something extra special about a 'body' of work intended to be displayed together. Be sure to keep us posted.

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-06 4:11 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Tamapoutini!
Yes a mangosmoothie, or better a MangoRita. A Mango Ku doesn't sound as appitizing(it reminds me of Ku the maggot mouth) it smells real nice when sanding it though.

The 8 will be for eight groomsmen. They probably will only be shown together once and I hope they appreciate them. I have a thing about carving for unknowing recipients. If you(you the figurative you) didn't ask me to make it or to have an already made piece of art, I would NOT offer any work.

I once gave a beautifully carved Koa tiger shark to a person who was important to me. The recipient said thanks but obviously did not appreciate the carving. One day I was visiting them when I noticed one of their children playing with the shark. All the delicate fins had been broken off and the sharks curly koa finish was scuffed beyond recognition. And it was a hard lesson learned but here I am again making art for the unknowing recipient. Hey at least I'm getting paid, right?

"Progress until there's nothing left to gain"

Mahalos for looking!

View Profile of AlienTiki Send a personal message to AlienTiki  Goto the website of AlienTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-06 6:41 pm   Permalink

Excellent looking stuff so far. It's Sad that we even Have to think about where our art will end up. Your story really is a wake up call to the modern times of Uncivilized kids.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-06 8:00 pm   Permalink

Hey Alien

Rest assured, this guy is in good hands

He's currently kicking back with a Finkdaddy pendant and a Gman bone pendant on the top of my tiki shelves, will get some pics.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-06 8:04 pm   Permalink

Ditto: the Brady tiki still has all his fins attached

Beautiful piece you have going. Gonna be tough to part with all of them aye?

-G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-09 05:14 am   Permalink

Well thanks guys. I would be hard pressed to find two better patrons than hewey and Gman or a mentor as great as Benz. you guys ROCK.

Mahalos

benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-10 12:27 am   Permalink

Really beautiful, alien.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-10 12:35 pm   Permalink

Mrs Hoptiki here,

Hi AlienTiki, that story you told about your Koa tiger shark made me very sad. Sometimes people just dont realize how much heart and soul, not to mention blood sweat and tears a person puts into their carvings. I have arthritis in my hands and often when I carve it gives me lots of pain. So I sacrifice myself a bit for each carving. Geeze Id be pissed if that happened to me. Anyway, your work is beautiful, keep creating, there are many people out here who understand the value of your art.

Mrs Hoptiki

View Profile of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki Send a personal message to Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki  Goto the website of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-13 6:10 pm   Permalink

As promised, heres your moai boy hanging with Finkdaddy #1 and a Gman hammerhead. If he behaves himself, I might even take them for a drive to go see the South Pacific

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-13 9:03 pm   Permalink

Aloha Alientiki, the Mango Ku is shaping up nicely and I'm sure will look at least as nice as all of your other great tikis. I'll be in Maui 6/23-7/2. Can I look you up?

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-14 7:04 pm   Permalink

Aloha Benella, Mahalo for the kind words. They keep me going sometimes, like carving fuel.

Thanks Mrs BPHoptiki! You know, it must of been a lesson I needed to learn. I'm kinda thick headed like that so I'm stuck learning the hard way.

Thanks for posting the pic Hewey, I always miss the little moai but I rest easy knowing he's in a good home.

Shootz Aaron'sAkua, I wouldn't miss a chance to Meet up with some TC ohana. And I should have all eight mango Tikis finished then.

I'm going to post some progress shots real soon.

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-14 7:20 pm   Permalink

Pics! Let's see 'em!!!

-G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-16 2:59 pm   Permalink

Sorry not much progress on this guy.

I have started a new one but I'm kind of in a carvers slump. I just haven't been up to carving much so I'm off to get some inspiration at the
festival of Canoes. It's Dubbed "Maui's Signature Cultural Heritage Event," so I bet they've got some cool stuff for the carvers to see. I'll give a full report with lots of photos later.

Aloha and Mahalos for looking

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-16 3:31 pm   Permalink

I like the style on this guy, he's coming along nicely

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation