FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving AlienTIKI Traditional, Midcentury Polypop and a couple marqs
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
AlienTIKI Traditional, Midcentury Polypop and a couple marqs
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-21 12:31 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the props Hewey.

I went ahead and started another of the eight. I better get cracking just 4 weeks left.

Lono of the same mango, just started & roughed out.

I'll post some in progress shots soon.

View Profile of AlienTiki Send a personal message to AlienTiki  Goto the website of AlienTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-21 4:39 pm   Permalink

Nice cuts brother. These mango guys are gonna be smokin'! I can't wait to see all eight lined up and ready to go. You better get chipping.....tick tock, tick tock!!!

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-22 04:04 am   Permalink

Good 'classic' delineation Alien. Im not so hot with my Hawaiian Gods; a Lono? Ku? Could you name them as you go? Thats assuming they are particular types..?

Ditto; just waiting to see them all together!

Go Man-go!!

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-22 1:36 pm   Permalink

Thanks GMAN! I'm carving like crazy.

Quote:

On 2007-05-22 04:04, Tamapoutini wrote:
Good 'classic' delineation Alien. Im not so hot with my Hawaiian Gods; a Lono? Ku? Could you name them as you go? Thats assuming they are particular types..?

Good question. This latest tiki with the elaborate head-dress has been referred to as Lono here at TC. From what I have read (Bishop Museum stuff) the image is referred to only as a "akua ka'i", which just means deity figure. The only first hand accounts of these tikis in use are from western explorers, as much of the history and names of these deities was lost when the Hawaiians were given a "New Religion". You know the decimation of thousands by means of introduced disease can make people question there faith. Most of the tiki's were destroyed when Kamehameha died. Well now I've gotten off on a tangent,

Here is the only known image of Lono.

Kinda ugly ain't it?

In this next image a lithograph by John webber, 2 tiki's can be seen and have been described as akua loa(long god) and akua poko(short god) both are said to represent Lono.

So there is no specific correlation between Lono and the tiki carving I started at the top of this page or at least I haven't found it yet.

[ This Message was edited by: AlienTiki 2007-05-22 13:37 ]

[ This Message was edited by: AlienTiki 2007-05-22 13:41 ]

View Profile of AlienTiki Send a personal message to AlienTiki  Goto the website of AlienTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-05-22 2:43 pm   Permalink

good morning alientiki that akua is looking mighty fine keep up the good work

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-22 3:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-22 13:36, AlienTiki wrote:

...as much of the history and names of these deities was lost when the Hawaiians were given a "New Religion". You know the decimation of thousands by means of introduced disease can make people question there faith.

Here is the only known image of Lono.
Kinda ugly ain't it?

Hey, thanks for that Alien!

Its not so hard to imagine. So much Maori history/lore has been lost also. Also read: Australian Aboriginal, Native American, Easter Island, etc, etc... (Amine)
I hate to say it, but perhaps it is the fact that its lost forever that makes the rich 'Sth Seas' exsistance so mysterious/alluring..?

So we have many images that we know are 'traditional'/real, but cannot be certain as to their identity. I was recently reading about 'Uenuku'; a wooden figure that was supposedly bought to NZ from the legendary 'Hawaiiki' at the time of the 'Great Migration'; there are only three works in existance known as Uenuku & two of them are in the Honolulu Museum, and I gather that all three look quite different.. I believe the intention of the carver & the name given to a piece is the most important thing. To a race with strong/important oral-tradition & no written language, names were remembered & all recited history accepted as accurate.

Im rambling. Thanks for the info. Keep up the Good Work!

Tama

PS: yeah, the original Lono is much uglier than I would have imagined...

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-26 04:06 am   Permalink

Hey Alien! The lono is coming along nicely

I scored these bamboo coasters for 50c each at a thrift store. 5 minutes and some tape and the moai and Finky #1 are hanging in style now As you can see Ive kept the moai's cord on him so I can easily take him off and wear him when I want.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-27 2:13 pm   Permalink

Thanks Hewey, The little coaster looks like it was made to frame a small tiki. What a perfect find.

Here's a couple progress shots.

I need a boss to tell me to stop taking breaks or I'll get nothing done. "Back to work, Slacker!"

benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-27 3:11 pm   Permalink

I wondered how you would carve the teeth because of the little you had at this location, I now know you've made a meticulous work.
Greetings.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-31 03:52 am   Permalink

Time is short man, the delivery date is looming....

You must have more pics for us? These look great, what are the other subjects?

-G

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-14 9:00 pm   Permalink

Alien,

How goes it on the set of eight? You must be almost done, yes? Let us see!! Please?

-G

Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-15 2:59 pm   Permalink

ooooh man, looks great! really like the eyes and nose....well i just like it all.
cant wait for more!

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-15 4:38 pm   Permalink

Looking Great AT, Lots o' sanding left to be done Slacker, get to it!
That Mango wood finishes up very nicely.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-27 02:22 am   Permalink

Sorry I did not post sooner. I've had some computer issues and may not be able to post for a few weeks.

Well the eight proved to be too lofty a goal and I only got half way there.

So here's the 4 mango tiki's that this slacker actually completed.

Unfortunatley these blurry image are all I have to share now.

Club/portable tiki?

Mahalos for all the encuragement you guys.
I'll post some new stuff as soon as can.

Aloha and mahalos for looking!!

benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-27 03:14 am   Permalink

Fantastic !

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation