FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving AlienTIKI Traditional, Midcentury Polypop and a couple marqs
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
AlienTIKI Traditional, Midcentury Polypop and a couple marqs
curb creature
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-13 10:33 am   Permalink

i dont want to be a "knowitall" but a couple of tips on the flames..make sure the "teardrops" in all the flames are the same size.you ever look at some flames and say "i dont like those flames for some reason"...thats usually it.skinny "necks"..long flowing"licks"..once you have the "flame formula" down..you are golden...my 2c.

View Profile of curb creature Send a personal message to curb creature  Email curb creature Goto the website of curb creature     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-13 11:33 am   Permalink

[/quote]
Did the tree's leaves & flowers look like this?

African Tulip Trees grow nicely throughout the tropics & here in San Diego, too.

AlienTiki, next time you see Mike the Sandalmaker in old Lahaina, tell him Joyce & Fred said "Hi!"

[/quote]

Thanks Fred I appreciate the compliment.
I'm not certain that is the wood . That tree does grow there but there are 2 other types of trees on the property.
Now you have me really wondering.

If I run into the sandal maker, I will most definatly tell him you said hi. It's rare that I get over to Lahaina side. And I don't know this fellow. I wear ruba slipas.

Quote:

On 2005-07-13 10:33, curb creature wrote:
my 2c.

Thanks for the input on the flames. I'm gonna try it out.

E

[ This Message was edited by: AlienTiki 2005-07-13 11:38 ]

View Profile of AlienTiki Send a personal message to AlienTiki  Goto the website of AlienTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-13 11:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-12 11:19, Sam Gambino wrote:
That is so cool, with lots of character too! Great going Alien Tiki. Those flames are fine on him too.

[ This Message was edited by: Sam Gambino 2005-07-12 11:20 ]

Thanks Sam I appreciate the feed back.

Aloha
E

View Profile of AlienTiki Send a personal message to AlienTiki  Goto the website of AlienTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-29 10:18 am   Permalink

Here's a gecko I carved out of African Purple Heart.
I once had a job were I would sit at this harbor and watch a bunch of tourists cars while they went out on a boat trip.
I widled away at this very hard piece of wood with a pocket knife and an exacto(pencil knife).

AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-29 10:29 am   Permalink

Here's a new work in progress. its of the same wood. "African Tulip tree"

Quote:

On 2005-07-12 12:30, freddiefreelance wrote:

Did the tree's leaves & flowers look like this?

Thanks for posting the pic. That's the one.

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-29 3:57 pm   Permalink

those are good flames. Actually more natural than probably the hot rod flames CC is talking about. The Gecko is nice too

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-29 6:23 pm   Permalink

your work is excellent, great job on the scetch and the carving of the first one. the flames look good, and the tiki has a nice style. THe gecko looks great, both the top and the bottom veiw. the guy you have in progress is looking good as well and i can't wait to see him all finished out.

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-29 6:36 pm   Permalink

Really neat looking Gecko, I Really love it. That wood is perfect for it.
It looks like the Alien is also gonna be Dynamite, can't wait to see it finished.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-29 7:08 pm   Permalink

Looking fine, ATiki. That Gecko is nice too - he looks a little slippery - just like a real Gecko! Thanks for posting!

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-29 10:02 pm   Permalink

Sam's right - the gecko looks pretty squishy for something that's made of hardwood. If you can make your Alien look like that you'll have really hit the target. Nice work, A-T!

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-30 2:08 pm   Permalink

The new truely looks like an alien/tiki.

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-31 03:19 am   Permalink

Love that gecko, awesome detail in it. Can't wait to see that alien finished.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-31 3:59 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys, The new tiki has actually came a long way since these pic. I need to get some new Photos he looks a little different now. Some one wrote about chiseling away everything not tiki. Well Im still working on it.

The gecko is quite smooth but now i see the pics and say to my self "wow I could have sanded in there better" or "that area looks bad" I guess I'm always my own worst critic.

Many Mahalos again for all the kind words.

AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-30 12:24 am   Permalink

Here are my 3 sketches for the mug contest.
#1 untitled (traditional)

#2 Ta Moko (I meant no offense to any Maori peoples)

#3 untitled (contemporary)

Free Image Hosting

Aloha
E

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-30 05:26 am   Permalink

AlienTiki, I loe yor mugs especially the Maori one, That is Really super Awesome. They don't take offense unless you Copy their mokos. Thats when they get bent out of shape I showed pix of some of my carvings to a fairly prominent Maori artist and first off he was very pleased that I had Not copied anyones Moko. The only warning he gave was to be careful what I came up with on my mokos as without knowing how to read or write in "Moko Talk" I could inadvertently offend someone or embarras myself. He advised that I learn the language of the moko.
So back to reality, I really love your maori mug.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation