FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving AlienTIKI Traditional, Midcentury Polypop and a couple marqs
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
AlienTIKI Traditional, Midcentury Polypop and a couple marqs
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-21 05:13 am   Permalink

Alien,
I really dig your moai and Ku. Nice job on the color choice for both. The moais are difficult to carve and you really did a nice job. Power to the hook knife.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-21 12:29 pm   Permalink

Conga, thanks for the compliments! The monkey pod is hard stuff but rewarding if you have patience and take your time. And I can't say enough about the hook knife. I'm learning that there are specific tools for every job and to increase your tool bag saves time and headache.

Loki, Thanks for kind words. I'm gonna try again on the Moai. Practice makes perfect and man do I need allot of practice.

Aloha
E

View Profile of AlienTiki Send a personal message to AlienTiki  Goto the website of AlienTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-21 12:49 pm   Permalink

Nice carvings. I like the pendant.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-21 5:45 pm   Permalink

Like your stuff...love the Hei Tiki. The jade they made these from was Narangi, or sacred jade.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-23 12:50 pm   Permalink

Thanks JohnnyP and BasementKahuna. You both have inspired me with your craftsmanship.

Sacred jade, ah yes the jade was and is sacred to many cultures.

Some people believe jade was even traded between preColumbian Americans and Chinese and maybe even the Polynesians. I know the jade we are talking about comes from New Zealand. When I was a kid I found a piece of jade while walking on the shore at the beach. It's quite abundant on some beaches even today.

As my Texan friend would say.
Mahalers y'all
E

View Profile of AlienTiki Send a personal message to AlienTiki  Goto the website of AlienTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-23 7:12 pm   Permalink

That Ku really does it for me. Your carvings all look great, though. That was a good choice to go natural on the Monkeypod. They should make a Monkeypod stain!

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-24 08:43 am   Permalink

WOW Alienguy, you are pulling out ALL the stops. These are some Really Fantastic tikis. The Alien was freky real looking and really Kool but the Monkeypod tiki is Really great too. I Love that you left the wood unstained, beautiful. The next tikis were great too including the Heitiki. Great stuff man, givin us all this stuff at once is givin' me the big one.MArtha Call the Doc...
Thanx

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-26 12:40 pm   Permalink

Thanks Aaron! The ku took the longest to carve. But I'm getting faster.

Benzart, without your great "how to" and "step by step" treads I wouldn't have done half this stuff. we are truly lucky to have such a great resource here. By resource I mean you. thanks for your kind words.

mahalos
E

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-15 1:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-23 12:50, AlienTiki wrote:
Sacred jade, ah yes the jade was and is sacred to many cultures.

Some people believe jade was even traded between preColumbian Americans and Chinese and maybe even the Polynesians. I know the jade we are talking about comes from New Zealand. When I was a kid I found a piece of jade while walking on the shore at the beach. It's quite abundant on some beaches even today.

Bumping this thread so everyone can see your old stuff, and also because this is a favourite subject of mine.
When I was in Rarotonga I met a couple of artists who were involved with the voyaging canoe society, who told me all about the old trade/migration routes between the various Polynesian islands. Jade adzes from NZ have turned up all over the place. I have one I bought on ebay from a guy in Hawaii that was IDed by Terence Barrow when he was working at the Bishop Museum - it was dug up at an old village site in Hawaii, and it is very ancient. Going on what I know about jade, I would guess it had been in the ground for many hundreds of years. I think it's pretty cool it made it back to where it came from, and although aesthetically it's one of the worst in my collection (it was broken in 2 when excavated), its history means it is one of my most prized possessions. If it could only speak.....

By the way - what beach did you find your jade on? Was it in NZ?

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-15 4:05 pm   Permalink

Most Excellent looking Stuff AlienTiki and very traditional too. The finish is also top notch.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-15 6:23 pm   Permalink

very cool Alien!!! traditional with your own style mixed in....nice stuff

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-16 02:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-15 13:59, Paipo wrote:

Bumping this thread so everyone can see your old stuff, and also because this is a favourite subject of mine.
When I was in Rarotonga I met a couple of artists who were involved with the voyaging canoe society, who told me all about the old trade/migration routes between the various Polynesian islands. Jade adzes from NZ have turned up all over the place. I have one I bought on ebay from a guy in Hawaii that was IDed by Terence Barrow when he was working at the Bishop Museum - it was dug up at an old village site in Hawaii, and it is very ancient. Going on what I know about jade, I would guess it had been in the ground for many hundreds of years. I think it's pretty cool it made it back to where it came from, and although aesthetically it's one of the worst in my collection (it was broken in 2 when excavated), its history means it is one of my most prized possessions. If it could only speak.....

By the way - what beach did you find your jade on? Was it in NZ?

That is so cool, I've seen some jade beads found here in Hawaii but never an adze head. What a score.
I wish it was in NZ that i found it but I've never been there, someday. I found the jade among other rounded stones on the coast in San Pedro, California.

Ben, Thanks for the kind words. Your positivity goes a long way.

Queen Kam, Mahalos, Real nice of you to say I have a style.

AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-18 04:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-30 05:26, Benzart wrote:
AlienTiki, I loe yor mugs especially the Maori one, That is Really super Awesome. They don't take offense unless you Copy their mokos. Thats when they get bent out of shape I showed pix of some of my carvings to a fairly prominent Maori artist and first off he was very pleased that I had Not copied anyones Moko. The only warning he gave was to be careful what I came up with on my mokos as without knowing how to read or write in "Moko Talk" I could inadvertently offend someone or embarras myself. He advised that I learn the language of the moko.
So back to reality, I really love your maori mug.

Thanks Ben, I'm glad to see you guys making a Maori mug now.

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-18 12:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I read these pendants were originally made from old ads heads made of green stone. Instead of just discarding the used ads head the Maori people would make a pendant out of it.

Function before fashion.

Hey Alien: I was just having another flip back in time & caught this...

It is true that many hundreds (pos 1000's?) of pounamu/greenstone/jade adzeheads were refashioned into hei-tiki, although this came into favour more as the 'tourist' demand increased with European visiters/settlers. The steel tools they bought with them made the older stone impliments obsolete. Before this, broken/chipped tools were more often reground/repaired for use.

Tis true that very little jade went to waste & offcuts & broken pieces were often refasioned into smaller 'detailing' chisels or jewellery. The jade really only comes from a few small pockets of the Sth Island but was traded the length of the country.

Facinating stuff eh? Dont get me started...

Tama

***Just been to your website too. Very interesting bio & background. I dig your humour & some of the more outrageous subject matter/composition...

The truth IS out there! TTT

[ This Message was edited by: Tamapoutini 2006-12-18 12:09 ]

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-18 3:58 pm   Permalink

It makes perfect sense that tourists demand would create this sort of industry.

What is fascinating to me is the pre contact stuff and the intricacy of craftsmanship on some of those items. When I talk about this subject with a friend he joking claimed that the Maori people have been hiding their diamond bit technology for centuries. This friend melts glass so I think the heat of his kiln has affected his brain.

I know there are still places on the West coast of north america where jade can be found. I did not realize it was only found in one place in NZ.

Mahalo for the kind words, history lesson and interest in my art work.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation