FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving AlienTIKI Traditional, Midcentury Polypop and a couple marqs
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
AlienTIKI Traditional, Midcentury Polypop and a couple marqs
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-20 11:56 pm   Permalink

Hey Alien.

Yep, those 'old' Maori sure left a tough act to follow. Just amazing what they achieved eh?

Check my latest post for more. Didnt quite know where to post it, so...

Have a good Xmas! Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-03 2:32 pm   Permalink

The Cannibal in progress about half way there. Carved from a African Tulip Tree.

He has already drawn blood twice, the bastard.

Mahalo for looking.

View Profile of AlienTiki Send a personal message to AlienTiki  Goto the website of AlienTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-03 11:18 pm   Permalink

Whoa! I really dig the style of this one. Not the common cannibal tiki. Very cool!

Custom Tapa Swag Lamps and Sconces Built By Kahaka

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-04 10:34 am   Permalink

Looking good. I'm working on a Cannibal as well, so its nice to see someone elses interprtation.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 07:04 am   Permalink

Very nice looking Cannibal, That Tulip wood is hard and Beautiful and you are certainly making the best of it. NICE

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-06 12:58 pm   Permalink

Thanks KAHAKA, it's loosley based off of the canibal at the BOT site here, and another one I saw on a Oregon Kon Tiki Menu in Tiki Magazine vol 2 #2.

AlohaStation, Thanks for the comments. I like your take on the cannibal too. The angles are cool.

Benz, thanks for the kind words, They mean more to me than I can express.

I scored some wood for xmas.

the 2 on the right are Mango and the 2 tone on the left Im not sure of. Both harvested from a beach house in Kihei.
progress shots of said cannibal on top of skateboard.

Mahalo for looking.

http://www.eibass.com

[ This Message was edited by: AlienTiki 2007-01-06 13:11 ]

View Profile of AlienTiki Send a personal message to AlienTiki  Goto the website of AlienTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 09:01 am   Permalink

wow i like it! that tiny bugger has no chance.
great work

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 1:14 pm   Permalink

Alien, your cannibal is Really looking More excellent. Closer to being done.
The Mystery log above, do you have any of the leafs from it? Nice looking stack'o wood.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-08 12:37 pm   Permalink

Thanks tiki duddy!!

Benz, I wish I had some leaves. the ones you see are the mango leaves.
I think the mystery log is Kamani. Not quite sure. More detective work is in order. There was also a 6 ft piece of that mystery wood still there so I'm going back today, it looked to weigh about 250 lbs.

I would be real happy if it's Kamani but either way it's realy pretty and will make a nice carving.

Red Sap and about 20 or so rings. The color of the wood is a little more red than it looks on my computer so I don't know of color corectnesss.

I'm not sure how long I should cure them. If any one can give me an idea?

Mahalo for looking.

[ This Message was edited by: AlienTiki 2007-01-08 12:41 ]

AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 06:58 am   Permalink

I finally got some sandpaper and finished my second Koa HeiTiki.

This wood is hard enough I could not imagine doing it in stone.

I should have the cannibal done soon!

Aloha,
Mahalo for looking.

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 10:42 am   Permalink

Nice one Alien!
Are you going to wear it? Glad to see no superfluous suspension holes have been drilled; you know this design hangs from the arm? I find it a harder design to produce than the 'upright' hei-tiki but really like the fact that it is 'pure'/uncompromised by any extra holes.

You'd be fine with stone; with the right tools its no 'harder' than wood...

Ka pai! Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 3:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

This wood is hard enough I could not imagine doing it in stone.

I agree. Your cannibal tiki design looks nice. I like the way you did the mouth and teeth.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-10 06:11 am   Permalink

Actually I think it IS harder to do in wood than stone, at least when you get it down to a small wearable size. The grain determines how fine of a detail you can get in the piece and Koooa in all it's beauty is Not a Fine grained wood and I think you got a Lot of detail out of it. Your Hei Tiki came out great and I Love the smooth finish . Excellent job.

tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-01-10 07:03 am   Permalink

Nice one! Love that Koa wood. The finish is real nice! The proportions look right too. I tried one recently and goofed it up because of bad proportion. I hope my next one looks as good as yours!

I did mine in stone - it wasn't too hard - just a different set of tools. And water.

Nice work on the first hei tiki too. You're trying all the tiki angles aren't you!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-14 1:51 pm   Permalink

Tamapoutini, Thanks for the kind words. I did not know this style was to be hung from the arm I just never drilled it. it's funny because I thought about drilling it but just decided not to. the image I used as reference has holes drilled in it. But I must admit I like the way your's looks hanging from the arm way better.
here it is.

JohnnyP, Thanks. I've paid special attention on the teeth, hopefully it will all be as detailed.

Benzart, Good point, the grain does dictate the design when it comes to size. thanks for the compliments.

tikigap, thanks I think your stone one turned out great.

Thanks again for all the compliments. Here's another progress shot.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation