FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Hawaiian Spam recipes?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Hawaiian Spam recipes?
Chrisc
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-11 03:12 am   Permalink

I have read somewhere that Hawaii has the highest per capita
consumption of Spam in the world. (I mean the pink meaty stuff, not the annoying digital stuff).
Does anyone know any good Hawaiian Spam recipes?

CHRIS

View Profile of Chrisc Send a personal message to Chrisc  Goto the website of Chrisc     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-11 05:13 am   Permalink

Is there such a thing as a "good" spam recipe?

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-11 08:30 am   Permalink

Give this one a try... It's always a crowd pleaser!

SPAM MUSUBI

1 can Spam cut into 10 slices
3 1/2 cup steamed rice
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup shoyu (soy sauce)
1 tsp. rice vinegar
5 sheets sushi nori (seaweed)
Furikake Nori

Fry Spam until light brown and remove from pan.
Heat sugar, shoyu and rice vinegar until sugar is dissolved then return Spam to pan, cooking for 1 minute.

Using Musubi mold: (You can also use the Spam can to mold the rice so it's the same size as the Spam.)
Place nori on flat surface and center mold on top of nori
Place rice in mold and press down (rice should be 1/2" thick)
Sprinkle Furikake Nori over rice
Place seasoned Spam on rice
Add another 1/2" of rice on top of Spam and press down
Lift mold off then wrap nori around the rice
Turn musubi over placing on fold allowing the nori to seal
Slice & Enjoy!

Aloha,

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Royale 2005-07-11 08:30 ]

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
*Fourcrows*
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-11 12:04 pm   Permalink

ewwww....

just ewwww....

View Profile of *Fourcrows* Send a personal message to *Fourcrows*  Email *Fourcrows* Goto the website of *Fourcrows*     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
UtopianDreem
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-07-11 9:49 pm   Permalink

And here's a recipe for SPAM Cupcakes that DawnTiki posted a while back.
(maybe not Hawaiian, but how can you not love SPAM cupcakes?)

[ This Message was edited by: UtopianDreem 2005-07-11 21:50 ]

View Profile of UtopianDreem Send a personal message to UtopianDreem  Email UtopianDreem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dancin' Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 09:41 am   Permalink

Ummmmm...... SPAM...... Either ya love it or hate it.

I believe that Hawaii and Alaska hold records for the most SPAM eaten.

Try a real Hawaiian breakfast! The Loco Moco!

Start off with a bed of white rice.
Top with fried SPAM (cubed, sticks or slabs...hamburger patty can be used instead of SPAM...but why?)
Top SPAM with one or two eggs over easy
Pour brown gravy over the top.

Primo grinds. Don't knock it until you tried it.

View Profile of Dancin' Lizard Send a personal message to Dancin' Lizard  Email Dancin' Lizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 12:56 pm   Permalink

I think American Samoa has a higher Per Capita consumption of Spam, but Hawaii has a higher Total consumption.

As for recipies, I usually just fry it up 'til it's getting browned & a little crispy, then brush it with some nice Teri sauce & cook for about a minute a side to finish. I like to serve this with King's Hawaiian Bread French Toast.

[ This Message was edited by: freddiefreelance 2005-07-12 12:57 ]

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-22 3:03 pm   Permalink

Spam musubi has always been a crowd favorite at all of my tiki and backyard gatherings. I use variations on Tiki Royale's recipe.. mine are far less traditional but crowd pleasing. Instead of frying the Spam in sugar, soy, and rice vinegar mixture, I use bottled sauces from the local market. Of those I have tried, the sauces made by Iron Chef are the favorite. The General Tso and the Orange Ginger glaze work well.

After I fry the Spam using the sauce as flavoring, I add a small amount of the same sauce to the rice as I am molding it. This gives the rice some flavor as well as the salty & sweet flavor of the Spam.

Kids even like this stuff too!!

Have a try.

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-22 3:25 pm   Permalink

i had a roomate from Guam who made a pretty good SPAM fry with i think rice adobo. i had no complaints.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-22 4:48 pm   Permalink

SPAM is definately one of my favorite foods! I just love to fry it crispy and eat it on bread with mustard. mmmmmmm.

I will try that musubi recipe. My step son is Japanese and so we eat a lot of things like that. Sounds yummy!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-30 04:54 am   Permalink

I occasionally like SPAM in a stir fry of SPAM, red onions, and pineapple chunks served on rice. I came up with this myself then later saw it on a TV show being made in a Hawaiian "local kine" diner, so I guess one doesn't have to be secretive about the dish.

For a big Tiki party a few years back I made skewers of SPAM, red onion, and pineapple chunks. My sister and friends who helped grill food all went "Oooh-!" when the saw the tray of "raw" skewers. But the grilled skewers were the first food gone. The same sister just brought up the skewers the other day to some friends and the response was the same as it always is when one a dish with SPAM is described as good..."SPAM?! Really? SPAM?!" Maybe Hormel should use that as a marketing line..."Yes, SPAM. Really."

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-11 04:47 am   Permalink

Spam! Delicious!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070611/ap_on_bi_ge/burger_king_spam;_ylt=AjsjGEkdBZoQL0VSpEL.vl2oOrgF

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skootiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-21 1:38 pm   Permalink

Isn't it time to start considering some" SPAM for the holidays"recipes?

View Profile of skootiki Send a personal message to skootiki  Email skootiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-21 8:00 pm   Permalink

Sorry Sabu

Sabu's Spicy Coconut SPAM Skewers

1/2 cup apricot jam
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup canned coconut milk
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons curry powder
1/4 heaping teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 can Spam, cut into cubes
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
wooden skewers

Combine all ingredients, except Spam and coconut (and skewers of course), in a saucepan and heat while stirring until boiling. Reduce heat to medium/low and allow marinade to reduce somewhat, (about 15 minutes), stirring occasionally. Put Spam chunks in a pan and pour most of the marinade on top, saving a small portion in a container for later. Make sure all sides of the Spam is coated with the marinade and let pan sit in a refrigerator at least 2 hours.

Toast the coconut on a baking sheet or shallow pan in a 350-degree oven, turning the coconut with a spatula periodically so that it is a light brown. (dark brown works too, so don't worry if it's overdone).

Place the Spam chunks on the skewers and grill until browned, brushing with the marinade in the pan. Remove from the grill and brush with the reserved marinade you had set-aside at the beginning. Roll in toasted coconut and serve on Ti Leaf. Makes 12 skewers.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-22 12:51 pm   Permalink

KALUA SPAM

1 can SPAM
ti leaves
aluminum foil

Built a charcoal fire in the sand. Wrap SPAM in ti leaves, then in foil. Place in glowing coals.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation