FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » the lost chapter: Hop Louie and the Stockton Islander (image heavy)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
the lost chapter: Hop Louie and the Stockton Islander (image heavy)
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-19 6:29 pm   Permalink

I just received these pics from the Bank of Stockton. There is only one more that they have but it is almost the same as the one with the girls on stage I posted a few days ago. I included two current Pit Bar photos for comparison.

Lani

Pit Bar

current Pit Bar photo for comparison

current Pit Bar photo for comparison

Exterior

Aeriel Photo

Happy Hunting!
Abstractiki

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2009-10-19 6:49 pm   Permalink

Abstractiki,

I wish there was something more to say to you other than "Great Job!" but you really are doing excellent work. Thank you!

When you get done with Stockton please feel free to drive the 2 hours North to Fresno and find some good
Tropicana Lodge stuff.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-19 10:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-19 18:29, abstractiki wrote:

Exterior

Classic!!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-10-20 5:04 pm   Permalink

Amazing pictures, abstractiki! Thanks for sharing those.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-20 7:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-07 05:20, bigbrotiki wrote:
It would be great to find a better picture of the Bumatay Tiki to get confirmation that it was indeed the prototype for the mug.

My wish has been answered! Amazing. I never knew that banks have photo archives. So they're good for something!

One thought, please humor me: Now for us all here, heavily educated Tikiphiles that we are, urban archeologists who appreciate the faintest remnant of a lost Tiki temple, this is a fantastic find...BUT is it not also, after years of staring at that great exterior, and the endless parade of great Tiki mugs, a little bit of a let down?

I am not saying for me, I now like the clean, modernist style this place apparently had as opposed to the fully cluttered, nook'n'cranny full of tschotchkies look that some other Polynesian palaces sported. But I don't know if I would have put the bar photo in the Book of Tiki as a prime example of the style. For example, I left the interior postcard of Tiki Bob's consciously out of the book because it did not live up to the greatness of the name, the menu, and the mug. Sometimes it is more alluring to leave a mystery...

But this is mere mind babble, I love the fact that the Bumatay Tiki is clearly identified as the Islander's logo Tiki now, and I will never leave any image unpublished because I am trying to protect the myth. We have grown past that.

My sofa corner lamp

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-27 8:52 pm   Permalink

Sometimes, maybe most of the time, mysteries are alluring and exciting until their solved. remember watching Scooby Doo in the Mystery Machine 1973? exciting until the the last 3 minutes when they tell you the farmer did it or whatever and it all seamed so logical, mystery gone, fun gone, and then on to some Captain Crunch and Jonny Quest.

For me the Islander photos are as Unga Bunga said "Classic" and Bigbro & Jab said "Amazing". I didn't have years to dream of the Islander mysteries. Although I remember it as a teenager I didn't catch Islander fever until this summer. I had no real good idea of what I would find i just new I wanted to find it. When I finally found these photos, when I first laid my eyes on them it was so exciting. I couldn't wait to share them with everyone at TC. It was like finding buried pirate treasure, or a pot of gold. It wasn't a let down for me personally and I look forward to uncovering more Islander mysteries in the future.

So hears the latest:

Islander recipe for chicken in foil and a picture of the Islander in 1986 before it was moved to Pollardville.

recipe from Islander Chef Henry Lim 1964

oh ya, I found out that most of the Tikis inside and outside were carved by Modesto Artisans from Palm trees dug up from downtown Stockton's Hunters square area. Also many of the decorations inside were from Hop Louie's own collection.

and this; there is a brand new 8ft tall chain link fence with a big padlock around the Islander, the guard, the dog and the trailer are gone.

Happy Hunting!
Abstractiki

[ This Message was edited by: abstractiki 2009-10-27 20:56 ]

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-10-28 12:55 pm   Permalink

All of the interior shots have fairly low ceilings (fine looking ceilings they are), but what was in the center of the restaurant under that massive a-frame? There is still a mystery here, bigbro.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-28 1:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-28 12:55, thejab wrote:
All of the interior shots have fairly low ceilings (fine looking ceilings they are), but what was in the center of the restaurant under that massive a-frame? There is still a mystery here, bigbro.

excellent question!! what exactly did the mezzanine look like? before pollardville met its demise, neil told me how the center dining room opened up where you could look up at the mezzanine and see the tall ceiling with floatsam. most of the pictures seem to be of the side rooms.

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-28 6:27 pm   Permalink

When I was inside the place this summer I went up an unstable small stair case like the drop down ladder kind. I got up far enough to take some pictures of the "attic" where the main A- Frame is. I took pictures of the window area and you can see that pic earlier in this post. The floor in the attic was plywood and it was covered with old boxes and some old Christmas decorations and paper files and such. It was a mess. I wanted to look around up there but got cold feet and came back down. The dinning room underneath was nondescript and striped. I took a lot of pictures but missed this area unfortunately. I may have to go back, but the new fence, hmmm... I have to think about that one.

I just got back from a major Tiki expedition to Stockton and will be working on that post for a few hours. Found big treasure and it possibly will shed light on this attic A-Frame mystery.

abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-29 6:30 pm   Permalink

The other day I looked up The Islander architect Warren Wong’s name in a directory on the chance he was still alive and in the area. He is 85 yrs old and to my surprise he answered the phone! I explained the whole urban archeology /Tiki thing to him and asked him if he had the old blue prints or any pictures of the Islander. He said maybe but he needed help searching for them. I quickly agreed to help out and met him at his home today. Come to find out he’s got a great MCM home that he designed in the 50’s on the Port of Stockton main channel.

So next thing I know I’m in his car and we are driving around Stockton. We arrive at a huge old Mansion (14,000 sq ft) that he said he grew up in. He took me inside, we wondered around a maze of rooms filled with old stuff and then wound up in the living room. This room was filled with big drawers that contained his old blueprints. There were lots and lots of drawers and each one contained probably 75-100 blue prints. After searching about 30 drawers I spotted the words Pollardville. I pulled it out and there it was, The Islander.

Warren told me that these were original prints that include new notes and new instructions/drawings added to facilitate the moving of the Islander to Palardville and its reassembly.

I took pictures of all the prints, there must have been 10 separate prints in all. I asked Warren some questions about the Islander and there wasn't much that he could remember that I didn't already know. He didn't have any photos or menus or any of that stuff. He told me that Hop Louie was a nice man and that he ran into him in LA a long time ago. I showed him a copy of the Islander artist’s rendering and asked if he new who drew it and he said he did! I asked if he new where it was and he took me through more rooms to the basement.

I was feeling pretty good about this expedition already having found the blueprints. If I could just find the original artist rendering, what a great treasure that would be.

Once in the basement we looked through a weird print hanging cabinet where he had more blue prints and artist renderings of different projects. No luck. He said one more place to look. A tall metal cabinet with long narrow boxes for prints that were rolled up. One by one I shined the flashlight on the labels on the lids. One by one I read them off to him. After about 100 boxes I was on the next to the last row at the bottom of the cabinet. Then I saw it “Hop Louie Islander” !! My eyes were popping out, “I found it” I yelled. I got down on my knees and pried the little metal door open. I shined the light inside and… my heart sank, it was empty.

We looked around some more but he said if it wasn't in there then he doesn't have them any more. I helped him dust and clean his cabinets and then we left for his house. In the car I gave him an 8x10 print I made of the color Islander photo, and some from the Bank of Stockton photo Archives. He was happy to have them and poured over them with his old eyes. I thanked him for his time and he thanked me for the visit. He had been wanting to go over there and rummage around for a while now. Mr. Wong is a nice man who is still busy working and donating his time to help American Indians obtain affordable “green” housing and further their education.

I then left his house and headed south, in search of Tahiti Iti… but that’s another story…

Happy Hunting!
Abstractiki

[ This Message was edited by: abstractiki 2009-10-29 18:31 ]

Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-29 6:46 pm   Permalink

Holy Cow!!! That's amazing. What a way to spend a day.

Can't wait to hear about the Tahiti Iti.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-29 6:49 pm   Permalink

I think my head may explode! You struck a motherload! A shame about the rendering, but those blueprints - what a find! Thank you!

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2009-10-29 7:00 pm   Permalink

Good job, abstractiki!

You're getting me inspired to go out and do some more archeology and interviews. Really love the images on those blueprints. Now see if you can hunt down the company that did the Islander sign!

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-10-29 19:01 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fres-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-29 7:09 pm   Permalink

Thanks for sharing all your work - so many discoveries - so interesting!!

View Profile of Fres-tiki Send a personal message to Fres-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-30 12:49 am   Permalink

That's pretty good, son.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation