FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki the lost chapter: Hop Louie and the Stockton Islander (image heavy)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
the lost chapter: Hop Louie and the Stockton Islander (image heavy)
Hop Louie II

Posted: 2013-05-13 12:22 pm   Permalink

Thanks Abstractiki, bigbrotiki, Atomic Tiki Punk, Hale Tiki and the other Tiki Central members for the warm welcome !! Aloha !!

View Profile of Hop Louie II Send a personal message to Hop Louie II      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-16 07:59 am   Permalink

Back in 2010 Valerie Lee Acoba,(Tommy Lee's oldest Daughter) sent me a photo of her family in front of the Islander. Recently I was able to visit her home to view and photograph her collection of family mementos from the Islander.

She wanted to share this history with the folks at TC.

Valerie with her husband and daughter out side the Islander. Mid 70's

Valerie and her daughter inside the front door.

Valerie and family in Tommy Lee's Office.

Framed photograph of Tommy Lee's Mercedes Benz out side the Islander. Note the sign, On Stage Randy Sparks and the Back Porch Majority.

Cool pencil artwork of Tommy Lee's Benz in front of the Islander. Valerie didn't know who created it. The painting is signed V.G.C. 72

She had a bunch of these platters.

Ashtrays

Business Card

Wooden Nickels

Match books including one I have never seen before saying just Thomas Lee on it.

Salt and Pepper Shakers

Cool Mugs

Thanks Val for sharing with us!

Happy Hunting!
Abstractiki

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-16 12:20 pm   Permalink

You are always bringing us great info and updates...many thanks abstractiki for the tireless research. OGR

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-16 12:39 pm   Permalink

Mahalo to you and Valerie for sharing this, abstractiki!

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-16 1:36 pm   Permalink

Excellent, thanks for the photos and for sharing! I was only at the Islander twice . . . wish I remembered more!

[ This Message was edited by: The Blue Kahuna 2013-06-16 13:36 ]

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-16 1:52 pm   Permalink

Wowzers!!! Abstraciki does it again!!!

Those family photos are great! I actually know Val... she taught dance at my high school! I totally recognize her daughter, too!

The platters are cool! I wonder how many other pieces of dinnerware were created for the restaurant?

I think you mentioned it before, but how did you come to make Val's acquaintance?

Mahalos again!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-16 3:11 pm   Permalink

i am doing the happy dance in seeing those new (old) pictures that val was willing to share! i love it! thanks david!

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 06:07 am   Permalink

So very very cool. Thanks to you, and to Valerie for letting you photograph it.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 2:44 pm   Permalink

Mahalo ORG, Tiki Tom, Blue K, Tobunga, T Cleen, Hale T for you comments!

Tobunga I was contacted by her three years ago after she saw my posts on the Islander on Tiki Central. I have a few more things relating to Tommy Lee's life outside the Islander that I will post at a later date.

I really love that photo of the Benz outside the Islander and that Islander art is so 70s period cool.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN

Posted: 2013-06-17 9:59 pm   Permalink

Wow David, thanks for posting those...the front profile with the car is fabulous. Maybe someone can do a hut bowl some day...wink wink Wendy!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-02 2:57 pm   Permalink

Time to bump this great post. I found a few more photos from the Stockton archives of the Islander.

Exterior photo

With the sign announcing the Ink Spots.

The Islander on the move ...

To Pollardville.

And, a photo of Tommy Lee in his office.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-02 3:46 pm   Permalink

Cool progression (or should I say eventual demise?) picture series DC!

I never noticed the words on the building during the moving picture. Anyone know what they say? Definitely not Latitude 20. I wonder what the short term reincarnation was...possibly during dick degrades ownership.

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-02 4:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-02 15:46, tikicleen wrote:

I never noticed the words on the building during the moving picture. Anyone know what they say? Definitely not Latitude 20. I wonder what the short term reincarnation was...possibly during dick degrades ownership.

Looks like it says Cosmopolitan's something.

The move was also captured on film, maybe a local TV station?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-04 11:23 am   Permalink

Cosmopolitan Room.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-08 2:10 pm   Permalink

Check it out!

Today:

1968:

1965ish:

This was obtained by a guy who bought it off a worker during the "move" of the Islander building in the 80's. As previously discussed in this thread, the construction crew were allowed to take home the tikis is they wanted, otherwise they were tossed out. This particular one stood in front of the latitude 20, one of two that greeted you in the walkway. The twin tiki was split badly by the time the 80's rolled around, so it probably met its demise then. No word on the cool Barney West moai.... *sigh*

Any thoughts as to if this was OA? Here are more close-ups.

Man, I love the islander.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation