FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki the lost chapter: Hop Louie and the Stockton Islander (image heavy)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
the lost chapter: Hop Louie and the Stockton Islander (image heavy)
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-30 03:19 am   Permalink

Don't cha just love the big address numbers?! I guess these are big so you don't accidentally walk into the wrong restaurant... especially if you're a fireman coming to put out the fire. Or maybe you've gutted all the good decor out of the place, so now you decorate with your street address.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-06 9:22 pm   Permalink

Been diggin for Stockton Tiki and managed to come up with some old Islander pics so here goes!

Artist rendering 1963, Architect on the Islander was Waren Wong

Islander construction 1963, 3.5 ton 88ft long beam

Latitude 20 3,500ft addition 1965, built for $90,000

Latitude 20 interior, Hop Louie behind the bar 1965

Pit Bar 1963

Foyer 1963

Hop and Minnie outside main entrance 1963

Lani Room 1963

Exterior 1964

Happy Hunting!
Abstractiki

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-06 10:08 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting the new images, they're great! Where did you find them?

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-06 10:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-06 21:22, abstractiki wrote:

Lani Room 1963

I wonder if the Islander's Bumatay mug was based on the tiki in this photo?

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-06 10:36 pm   Permalink

Wow those are some great images from a long lost treasure. Great to see what the inside looked liked.

Dig the Barney West tiki out front of Latitude 20.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-07 05:09 am   Permalink

Fantastic Tiki archeology job Abstract. Great finds. I took the liberty to mess around with a couple of the photos to try and sharpen them up. Sorry about the sepia color but that was the best way to see more detail. Keep up the good work.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-07 05:20 am   Permalink

Reeeeally nice, David! Love the architect's rendering, and everything else. It would be great to find a better picture of the Bumatay Tiki to get confirmation that it was indeed the prototype for the mug.

Isn't there a computer program out there that "fills in the dots" so that beyond sharpening and saturation, the images become clearer?
And then lets you look into the image holographically, like in Bladerunner?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-07 08:41 am   Permalink

this is mind-blowing david! i am so incredibly estatic that you were able to score these new photos! i had come across photos 2, 3, and 4 through articles that were in the stockton record, but i never had the chance of seeing the others. plus, these are so much more crisp than the crummy low-grade library copies i obtained.

the artist rendering as well as the photo of the bumatay tiki is absolutely fantastic! it is incredible to see more photos capturing the inside of the dark and mysterious islander. i am in love with the artist rendering, especially since i tried to hunt down the original blue prints (good ol' san joaquin county has destroyed everything prior to the 70's). is it just me, or does the bumatay tiki look painted?

i cannot stop pouring over these photos...so much for work getting done today!

[ This Message was edited by: tikicleen 2009-10-08 07:46 ]

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-07 12:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-07 08:41, tikicleen wrote:
...is it just me, or does the bumatay tiki look painted?

I thought the bumatay looked painted as well.

Abstract - Is the artist rendering you posted from the newspaper or an actual copy? I don't recall the tall post on the building's right actually being there. That was - roughly - the location of the AdArt sign. The construction photo is priceless.

Ovarian Cancer Research

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-07 12:57 pm   Permalink

That post ist most likely the vision of the artist for the sign, perhaps a Tiki totem pole? Obviously too artistic, so they used a more commercial design -which, in retrospect, is just AS artistic as the rendered one.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-07 6:14 pm   Permalink

Thanks very much everyone for all your great comments! I do appreciate them!

Tikicleen said-
Quote:
"these are so much more crisp than the crummy low-grade library copies i obtained."

LOL Tiki said-
Quote:
"Is the artist rendering you posted from the newspaper or an actual copy?"

These are awesome in the sense that we all love the Islander but these are all crummy low-grade copies like tikicleen said. What i did was re-photograph them with my cannon 10-D camera and worked the brightness and contrast over to make them a bit better to see.

I would love to get my hands on the original artist rendering, that would be a treasure find.

LOL Tiki said-
Quote:
"I wonder if the Islander's Bumatay mug was based on the tiki in this photo?"

Can someone post a picture of the Bumatay Mug for comparison? uummm...I've never seen one.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-07 6:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-07 18:14, abstractiki wrote:
Can someone post a picture of the Bumatay Mug for comparison? uummm...I've never seen one.

Abstractiki,

Love all of your research.

Here's the mug.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-07 7:25 pm   Permalink

Thanks DC!

I made the image you posted more slender, adjusted the contrast, put a film grain filter on it and made the image black and white. Looks like the same artistic vision to me. They probably took a picture of the Tiki and sent it to the mug maker for inspiration. If I only had a 3-D program to rotate the mug image im sure it would match up pretty good! Ok can someone with one of these mugs take a new picture the side angle!

martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2009-10-08 11:56 am   Permalink

similar bumatay was also at Kelbo's: (in the back)

[ This Message was edited by: martiki 2009-10-08 11:57 ]

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-08 12:15 pm   Permalink

...and, somewhat similar, at the Sea & Jungle store:

The one in Abstract's photo and the mug share Bumatay's unique "ray-eyes", like in this ceramic satue:

And that makes the photo/mug connection that much more likely.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation