FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge Your first concert: Who, Where, When.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Your first concert: Who, Where, When.
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 08:35 am   Permalink

Now this is a cool thread. Let's see, it must have been in 74-75? I went to see Deep Purple...Rory Gallagher was up first. All I have to say (and I'm a Deep Purple fan) is that Rory Gallagher just plain smoked Deep Purple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Jaodra7AY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1zsRRt1FWE&feature=related

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 2:14 pm   Permalink

Flashback, Babs! My older brother had a Rory Gallager live LP with Bullfrog Blues (first link) on it. Watching the video, he reminds me a lot of Alvin Lee/Ten Years After. Very similar sound and energy.

My first concert was Alice Cooper in '72, with Edgar Winter opening.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-27 7:40 pm   Permalink

That Bullfrog Blues video just proves white men can't dance! LOL Looks like Rory invented grunge and headbanging!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HelloTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-28 12:23 am   Permalink

Elvis at an early 1956 un-televised, Jerry Lewis telethon at a Miami school auditorium. My cousin Ellen wanted to get her record signed. WE all gave Elvis a dollar and shook his hand on stage.

View Profile of HelloTiki Send a personal message to HelloTiki  Email HelloTiki Goto the website of HelloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
420greg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-28 04:24 am   Permalink

My first concert was Bill Graham's 'Day on The Green' #4 on July 23rd 1978. At the Oakland-Alameda Stadium (Where the Radiers play).

In Order of appearance:

AC/DC
Van Halen
Pat Travers
Foreigner
Aerosmith

Kinda strange looking back that Pat Travers was a bigger act at the time the Van Halen or AC/DC.

My second show was 3 days later, Day on The Green #5, Mick Jaggers Birthday:

Rolling Stones
Santana
Eddie Money
Peter Tosh

Man what a great summer. Rode the BART to both shows.

View Profile of 420greg Send a personal message to 420greg  Email 420greg Goto the website of 420greg     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-28 07:34 am   Permalink

Wow! This thread is 3 years old already. Great to see all the participation. Now that I have a scanner I can scan stuff like regular people. This stub isn't from a rock show, and it's not my first show but in the interest of current events I'll post it. And let's face it, this guy was a rock-star anyway.

George, man. I love and miss ya. What is this planet going to do without you.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-30 1:41 pm   Permalink

Great thread.
First show was Haircut 100 at the Palace(?) in Hollywood.
Other noteworthy shows I've seen-
GWAR in Tijuana
Bad Brains in LA
The Smiths -Meat is Murder Tour(yummy steak)
Cheap Trick with Guns and Roses at a small craphole punk rock dive called Fender's in Long Beach
Bad Religion at Bottom of the Hill SF
Ramones at the Hollywood Paladium
The Damned
TSOL
Murder City Devils
Face To Face
Patti Smith
Billy Idol
Social Distortion
Doug Carn
Pharoah Sanders
Madness
Sex Pistols
Bauhaus
Cult
Smashing Pumpkins
X
Go Gos
Bowie
Adicts
Toy Dolls
Specimen
Jane's Addiction
45 Grave
Lords of the New Church
Sublime
Adam Ant
Tom Waits
Alright, this list can go on forever

www.tikikaimuki.com

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-30 2:27 pm   Permalink

Absolute first: Rubber city rebels, at the Golden Bear

First time I slept in line for tickets: Asia (not my idea)

First punk shows: Black Flag, Circle Jerks, TSOL--all at the Cuckoo's nest, I think. Also 45 grave/Vox Pop

Next early concerts I went to: AC/DC, RUSH, YES, Spyro Gyra, Larry Carlton, Miles Davis, Stanley Jordan, Golden Earring, Duran Duran, X, Oingo Boingo, Spandau Ballet, --those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head from when I was really young.

There have been many, many more since then. Rancid (back when they were nobodies) at a private party up in Berkely, Brian Setzer orchestra, Gap band, Christopher Cross (got drunk and started crying cause the music was so good)Salif Kieta, Yusef N'dour

Small jazz shows: Poncho Sanchez, Jack Sheldon

Bands I have opened for: Foghat

Last live concerts I went to: The Rippingtons (6 times now!!), Tom Scott, Bob James and Fourplay.

And most recently, this guy (who happens to be my uncle)
https://www.esflamenco.com/product/en95305400.html

[ This Message was edited by: Lucas Vigor 2008-06-30 14:44 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-30 2:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-30 14:27, lucas vigor wrote:
Absolute first: Rubber city rebels, at the Golden Bear

Golden Bear!
Great memories.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ahvyna
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-30 8:44 pm   Permalink

First ever was The Eagles. I was 6, my brother was babysitting and thought taking me along would be a great way to meet girls.

The first concert I saw as an adult was the Cars and Wang Chung sometime in the '80's. That would probably qualify as the worst concert I ever saw too. Wang Chung was off key and Rick Ocasek was too drunk to finish the set!

View Profile of ahvyna Send a personal message to ahvyna  Goto the website of ahvyna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-30 9:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-30 20:44, ahvyna wrote:
First ever was The Eagles. I was 6, my brother was babysitting and thought taking me along would be a great way to meet girls.

The first concert I saw as an adult was the Cars and Wang Chung sometime in the '80's. That would probably qualify as the worst concert I ever saw too. Wang Chung was off key and Rick Ocasek was too drunk to finish the set!

I saw that tour as well with The Cars and Wang Chung. My memories of it are a little bit better though since I was already a huge Cars fan at that time. Not crazy about Wang Chung though. I saw them at Forest Hills Tennis Stadium summer of '84 in Queens a few years before I actually moved to NYC. All I can remember is that we had really good seats in front. The Cars came out with 'Hello Again' and then about two-thirds into the show it started to thunder and lightning with a little bit of rain. The show went on. A few years ago before CBGB closed I saw Ric Ocasek perform. I was backstage after the gig and met him. I told him that I saw the show in '84 in Queens and he said "oh yeah! that was the night I got shocked". I don't remember that part. (have I told that story on TC before? Hope not). Also that same week I saw The Psychedelic Furs with Talk Talk on Pier 84 when they used to have shows there.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-06 05:29 am   Permalink

(edit of double post)

[ This Message was edited by: blindy the pirate 2008-07-06 14:27 ]

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-06 05:30 am   Permalink

My first concert was the 2nd Lollapolooza. Red Hot Chili Peppers was the headliner. Pearl Jam was the second band to go on, which was kinda funny. It was the summer that they blew up, and by the end of the tour, they were the biggest band in the world.

I got three tickets for it and had one of my friends back out, so my Dad went. It worked out pretty good, he held our stuff when we went to the mud pit in front of the stage. He spent most of his time at the second stage watching stuff like The Jim Rose Sideshow.

It was on the Sunday before my freshman year of high school. The tour shirt was about a school uniform that first day. On the plus side, all that mud cleared up my face and I went to school acne free that first day.

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-06 08:33 am   Permalink

Dr Hook and the Medicine Show about 1974. Dr Hook and the boys appearently made a side trip to Mexico 15 miles away before the show for a little "Special Medicine". They were stoned to the bejesus belt during the concert, smashing guitars and amps on stage and having a grand old time. They didn't need any stage lights because the glow from ten thousand doobies in the stands kept the place well illuminated.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-06 6:14 pm   Permalink

First concert: Cheap Trick at Philadelphia Spectrum, 1980
Most recent: They Might Be Giants at House of Blues, Dallas, 2008
Loudest: Van Halen, 1981. My hearing in my left ear was never the same.
Coolest show: B-52's & The Ramones at the Philadelphia Zoo, 1983.
Worst Show: The Cure, 1986. They SUCKED!

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation