FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Bilge » » Your first concert: Who, Where, When.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Your first concert: Who, Where, When.
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 12:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I saw Van Halen in the 80s it had to be, even to this day one of the loudest shows I've ever been to.

I totally agree, Van Halen, was crazy loud, even the rafters rocked. I was at the Ramones show in the early 80's and on the floor half the people pogoed and the other half moshed. Soon it was just a mess. Today I hang in the rafter haze.
[/quote]

Motorhead or The Celibate Rifles were the loudest shows I ever saw. The Celibate Rifles were trying to out-loud Motorhead at the time, by playing at some ungodly decibel level. I remember the stack of amps they had, it was crazy!
I remember my whole body vibrating, and stuffing wadded up cocktail napkins in my ears! Now I take earplugs, cause I'm old.

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 12:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-14 12:01, mrs. pineapple wrote:
Motorhead or The Celibate Rifles were the loudest shows I ever saw.

The loudest show I ever attended was, surprisingly, Bettie Serveert at the Fillmore. I am not making this up!

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 12:32 pm   Permalink

another good show was Elliot Sharp with Firehose at Bogart's. It was funny cause the first time they played together it was clear that Firehose (as the rhythm section) couldn't quite connect with Sharp's sonic assualt. The second time, however, it all clicked. Another great gig was the Mau-Maus & Stains (others as well- I think Castration Squad even) at the Hideaway - Killer riot inside and out - full police riot squad. Killer! Or Eddie & the Subtitles, Middle Class, Adolescents and others I can't remember at La Vida Hot Springs... some punk got a biker's knife in the eye. So many to try and remember... Great fun!

Ahh, the fond but flickering memories of a delightful & demented youth...

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 1:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-14 12:13, cynfulcynner wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-07-14 12:01, mrs. pineapple wrote:
Motorhead or The Celibate Rifles were the loudest shows I ever saw.

The loudest show I ever attended was, surprisingly, Bettie Serveert at the Fillmore. I am not making this up!

Dinosaur Jr. play at Motorhead levels in bars & small clubs, now that's insane.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-07-14 2:09 pm   Permalink

Mission of Burma played real loud, and did so on their tour last year as well.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 2:50 pm   Permalink

Oops, I forgot: I always think of Cheap Trick as my first "rock" show, but I did see Elvis at the Anaheim Convention Center in 1974. I went with Mom and grandma and sat in the nosebleed seats. To understand how far away we were from the stage, hold a Tic-Tac at arm's length and cut that height in half - that's about how tall he was onstage. "In the Ghetto" indeed. They played the whole 2001 intro music and he had the white jumpsuit and threw sweaty towels to the crowd and all.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 3:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-14 12:13, cynfulcynner wrote:

Hey, CC, I was at that show! I don't recall it being too loud, but then maybe my hearing was still trashed from also seeing Van Halen in '83.

The Cheap Trick show I mentioned was the loudest show I remember, but maybe that was due to my virginal ears. Queen in '82 was particularly loud, as I also recall.

As for bad concert behavior, it was at Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Foreigner (!) show at Anaheim Stadium, 1981. They had tech problems that caused a 2 hour delay between Scorps and IM sets. It turned into a roiling food fight with people in the terrace seating vs. people on the field level. People from our section grabbed all the condiment containers - those huge jugs o' mustard and such - and hurled them onto the people below. That was the beginning....

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 3:59 pm   Permalink

Oingo Boingo
Dead Mans Party
Greek Theater

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 4:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-14 15:59, Tiki Bird wrote:
Oingo Boingo
Dead Mans Party
Greek Theater

oooh, I was there, too!

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 4:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-14 15:03, Tiki-bot wrote:

As for bad concert behavior, it was at Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Foreigner (!) show at Anaheim Stadium, 1981. They had tech problems that caused a 2 hour delay between Scorps and IM sets. It turned into a roiling food fight with people in the terrace seating vs. people on the field level. People from our section grabbed all the condiment containers - those huge jugs o' mustard and such - and hurled them onto the people below. That was the beginning....

Don't forget the Loverboy was on that bill, too (and had higher billing that either the Scorpions or Maiden!)

Yup, I was there at the "Summer Strut" as well - I'd won tix from KLOS and had brought in a big banner that I'd made with all the bands on it. Took it down and carried it for the rest of the show when the food started flyin'.

Spermy was at that show, too!
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Riptide
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 5:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-14 16:55, Doctor Z wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-07-14 15:03, Tiki-bot wrote:

Spermy was at that show, too!

I don't want to know what Spermy was throwing.

View Profile of Riptide Send a personal message to Riptide  Email Riptide     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 8:16 pm   Permalink

My first concert was the "California Jam", an all-day rock festival at the Ontario Motor Speedway. I was around age 13 or 14, and in a car with 6 teenagers. We got into a pile-up on the freeway on the way there. We abandoned the car and hitch-hiked the rest of the way. When we got there, my boyfriend and I got seperated from our friends. They had the tickets, the food and water, and all the money. When the gates opened, I got trampled by the crowd, and lost my eyeglasses and shoes. I had a whiplash, cracked ribs, and a displaced pelvis. I was ready to go home then but boyfriend wanted to stay. It was one of the most miserable days of my life, and I can't even remember the bands that played that day.

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 8:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-14 20:16, ookoo lady wrote:
My first concert was the "California Jam", an all-day rock festival at the Ontario Motor Speedway. I was around age 13 or 14, and in a car with 6 teenagers. We got into a pile-up on the freeway on the way there. We abandoned the car and hitch-hiked the rest of the way. When we got there, my boyfriend and I got seperated from our friends. They had the tickets, the food and water, and all the money. When the gates opened, I got trampled by the crowd, and lost my eyeglasses and shoes. I had a whiplash, cracked ribs, and a displaced pelvis. I was ready to go home then but boyfriend wanted to stay. It was one of the most miserable days of my life, and I can't even remember the bands that played that day.

holy crap, you lived my parents worst nightmare!

I lost my shoe at a Replacements concert, but I found it aftger everyone cleared out...

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 9:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[I had a whiplash, cracked ribs, and a displaced pelvis. I was ready to go home then but boyfriend wanted to stay. It was one of the most miserable days of my life, and I can't even remember the bands that played that day.

And he wasnted to stay after that? Sheesh! I hope you broke up with that dude after all that.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bombay
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-14 10:47 pm   Permalink

Yes my first music visit to presentation. Here in India music presentation are at school at very young age. When I was eigt my school class visit with now world famous Ravi Shankar. I had never heard such beauty. Months later we visit with Black Sabbath. I was much impressed yes but I do not understand why they play so loud.

View Profile of Tiki Bombay Send a personal message to Tiki Bombay      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation