FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge Your first concert: Who, Where, When.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Your first concert: Who, Where, When.
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-21 6:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Not quite sure why Seals and Croft was on the bill (at California Jam). That made as much sense as Sha-na-na at Woodstock

At first glance Sha Na Na doesn't make sense playing at Woodstock, but in fact, in a weird way, it did make sense. Sha Na Na rose to fame in the late 60s/early 70s with their act that was largely spoofing the 50s..the era when all the hippies and baby boom music lovers of the 60s were growing up. I guess this was one of the first examples of irony in pop music/youth culture. I have a show that was video taped live at the Fillmore East in 1970 where Sha Na Na was on the bill. The crowd went nuts when they did 'Teen Angel'. Pretty funny.

Now Seals & Croft at California Jam...yeah..doesn't make any sense at all. Makes as much sense as Britney Spears playing the former Yasgur's Farm, site of the original Woodstock. She played their a few years back when they were using the grounds (periodically) for concerts. Now that only doesn't make any sense, that's just plain blasphemous!!!!

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-22 08:55 am   Permalink

You have a good point there.

But ya gotta admit, Seals and Croft on the same bill as Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and Black Oak Arkansas is one of the most mismatched bills in rock history.

A more accurate comparison would be Jimi Hendrix being the opening act for the Monkees.

Or Elvis Presley being the opening act for Shecky Greene in Vegas back in the Fifties

On second thought, that would have been a great show.

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-07-22 10:45 am   Permalink

Speaking of Woodstock, I just was reading a special edition of Mojo magazine on The Who and there was a great Pete Townsend quote in there from just after Woodstock. I can't remember it verbatim but it was along the lines of: "If that's the American dream they can have it. Sitting around in the mud smoking f*$%ing marijuana all day isn't for me. I'm heading right back to Shepherd's Bush where people are people."

I couldn't agree more with that viewpoint on the whole hippie scene, at least as it was by the time of Woodstock.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-22 10:50 am   Permalink

A few years ago at Bumbershoot, I saw Mel Torme, who was performing right before the Ramones. Now *that* crowd had an interesting composition.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-07-22 10:55 am   Permalink

The Who opened for Herman's Hermits on The Who's first US tour.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Selector Lopaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-22 12:45 pm   Permalink

Me so late to this thread, must peek in Bilge more often.

My first real concert was J. Geils Band with Ian Hunter and Mick Ronson opening at the Springfield (MA) Civic Center in June of 1979.

Humu, I was at that Bumbershoot show as well. Mudhoney played before Mel. Word was that Mel felt that was one of his best performances ever, being able to perform for the "kids" and get such a warm response. A bizarre, yet amazing bill, especially in retrospect.

View Profile of Selector Lopaka Send a personal message to Selector Lopaka  Email Selector Lopaka Goto the website of Selector Lopaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-22 4:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-22 10:45, thejab wrote:
Speaking of Woodstock, I just was reading a special edition of Mojo magazine on The Who and there was a great Pete Townsend quote in there from just after Woodstock. I can't remember it verbatim but it was along the lines of: "If that's the American dream they can have it. Sitting around in the mud smoking f*$%ing marijuana all day isn't for me. I'm heading right back to Shepherd's Bush where people are people."

I couldn't agree more with that viewpoint on the whole hippie scene, at least as it was by the time of Woodstock.

I hear Pete (one of my all-time heroes) and you on this point, however I think that the 60s had more going on than just 'sitting in the mud and smoking pot'. Not that that kinda mindless stuff didn't happen. It definitely did. Unfortunately alot of the 'greatness' of the 60s counter culture is not only exagerrated it is also way over-simplified. Not everyone involved was some tie-dyed zoned-out moron, there were alot of youth that were actually THINKING and DOING back then. Say what you will, that happened too. Therefore I can only answer Pete's (and your) observation with this: What are the current crop of American youth doing THESE days?

I'll take the 60s (or the 70s,80s, AND part of the 90s) over the affected-disconnected youth culture of today anytime.

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc 2005-07-22 16:19 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-07-22 4:52 pm   Permalink

I think what Pete was talking about, and what I relate to, was what the 60s counterculture had evolved into by 1969, not what it was like in 1965-67. The violence of 1968 freaked-out the hippie movement and changed it from one of action and protest into one of retreat and denial. "Let's just form a commune in the country, live off the land, and get high without being hassled by the man" feeling that was common at the time. I'm not saying they all ended up that way but a lot of them did, until they decided "if you can't beat 'em join 'em" and became yuppies in the 70s and 80s.

The cultural changes that happened after WWII (the sexual revolution, civil rights movement, women's rights, the beat generation's rejection of traditional values, etc.) all started way back in the late 40s and grew into the mid 60s when the government really started to worry and crack down. By the time of the 1967 "summer of love" the great accomplishments had already been made, and the hippie movement just became a trendy scene.

I would have loved to have been a young man in the 60s, but I would choose London c.1963-66 or the Sunset Strip c.1965-66, not Woodstock c.1969.

The early 80s was damn good too though!

donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-22 5:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

The early 80s was damn good too though!

I hear you on all points, except I would say that alot of those social changes were galvanized by the youth of the 60s. Not so sure they were given attention by the government simply because they were starting to crack down and worry. I don't think the oldergeneration had really seen anything like thaq before. Why didn't that happen with Eisenhower when Kerouac & company were getting popular.

In retrospect, the early 80s (pre-MTV..which was really 78-80) were cool. I'm glad to have been old enough to see that. As far as the 60s I would have like to have been a young person for all of it in all places. L.A., San Fran, London, New York, Detroit and wherever it was happening. Once again I have to come to the defense of Woodstock and say that unfortunately that event has been widely over-simplified, nostalgized, genericized,and generally de-valuated. True, it was the point when investors were like 'Hey...look at this..why hasn't this happened before..this is a friggin goldmine' and killed the honesty of things like that that followed. But if one thing can be said about Woodstock in retrospect is that it was definitely content over style with NO corporate involvment. Yeah two of the guys that made the initial investment were rich kids, but essentially the whole thing was an 'organic' (no pun intnended) event. Without getting to lofty here, there was a sort of 'religious' aspect to it, the likes of which will never be seen again. I mean...think about how the word got out for that. It was a huge contingent of like minded people hanging out for the same reasons. So I submit..."what's so funny (or stupid or wimpy or whatever) about Peace, Love, and Understanding?"

People have tried over the years to try to emulate that spirit but it just ain't gonna happen again. There are alot of cheesey elements to hippie culture. The New-Age stuff is where I particularly get a little creeped out, but by-and-large people of that era were taking chances ARTISTICALLY and were successful at it. People these days,especially in the music biz, love to refer to themselves as 'artists' but the real stuff, like the sutff in the 60s rarely happens anymore.

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc 2005-07-23 14:42 ]

Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-22 11:13 pm   Permalink

Who: Pink Floyd
Where: Cowboys Stadium, Irving TX
When: 1994
I still have the t-shirt!!

I have been a Floyd fan since I was 8 or so and never really was a big concert goer. Then when they announced that they where going to tour in 1994 (to promote the Division Bell album and secret farewell tour), my best friend (who is a Floyd fan as well) skipped one of the biggest high school senior activities to go to the concert. No it wasn't graduation. We figured we would have more fun seeing Pink Floyd live than people we didn't care to see again after seeing them our whole lives. Apparently so did a few of our stoner classmates. As much as I smoked that night, I still remember the whole concert it like it was a few months ago. Shoot, we still talk about it.

I remember that Steve pulled a ticket that got him in 3rd in line for ticket sales (to deture people from sleeping at the box office) and got the best seats for us. I was extra happy that we didn't get seats in the field, everyone stood the whole time and it rained on all of them. We were bone dry in the last row before the field starts.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-24 1:40 pm   Permalink

Who: Peter Frampton
Where: Long Beach Arena
When: 1978
Tour: Frampton Comes Alive

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-24 2:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-20 23:28, RevBambooBen wrote:

Dunkest/Druggiest: Germs. Starwood.

when I saw the Germs in '79 at the North Park Lions Club, Don, Pat & Lorna spent half the time changing strings, fixing cords, tuning up and arguing while Darby Crash solicited the crowd for drugs and alcohol.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JonPez

Posted: 2005-09-21 09:53 am   Permalink

Who: Adam Ant (opening act The Romantics)
Where: Jai Lai Fronton, Tampa, Florida
When: 1983
Tour: Friend or Foe

View Profile of JonPez Send a personal message to JonPez  Goto the website of JonPez     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-21 10:45 am   Permalink

Little 7 year old DawnTiki, 1973 Knotts Berry Farm...I don't think they actually sang a word, it was all about the lip sync..is that the right term? But lil' Tony DeFranco was so dreamy who cared?
First real concert 12 years old DawnTiki, July 1978, The Rolling Stones, Some Girls Tour, Angels Stadium.
Most vivid memory? An ancient toothless old lady offering me pot, terrified I said no thank you, politely like my mom had taught me...such a good girl
After her offer, I noticed the ancient, toothless old lady hoisting one of her ancient toothless old lady, hangin' mighty, mighty low, sweaty (it was late July) braless breasts to pull out her bag of smuggled stash.
See it was educational too! The things you can learn at concerts if you just pay attention!
BLECK!

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-21 11:07 am   Permalink

Headliner: Mountain
opening act: James Cotton
At: UMBC

Best I ever saw: Roxy Music at Carnegie Mellon w/Crack the Sky

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation