FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tikiwahine's Creations - Update Jan 22 - Mug shelf & rockin' out
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Tikiwahine's Creations - Update Jan 22 - Mug shelf & rockin' out
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-12 2:26 pm   Permalink

Cool Puffer light! Didn't Flounder make a small one like that, too? I'd love to see a step-by-step on how to make something like that, I've wanted to investigate Puffer Lights that are more durable than those made from actual Puffer Fish, something that'll hold up to the outdoors.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fez Ape
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-13 04:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-27 11:42, Tikiwahine wrote:

I drew this guy one day, I was thinking that there aren't nearly enough moku sporting tikis. He's very simple, but I thought I'd share anyhow.

Awesome design, simple and clear!

View Profile of Fez Ape Send a personal message to Fez Ape      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-13 10:44 am   Permalink

Freddie: Thanks! I'd love to see what Flounder's done with a puffer. I'm also curious about Swanky's LED puffer project, I'm wondering if it's tiny enough to go inside one of these.

This one comes in a larger size as well, about as big as your fist.

For the glow in this tiny one I found a light up gemstone ring at the dollar store, the ones with the cheesy oversized diamond you twist to turn on. These are good because they emit a glow all the way around, instead of a focused beam. All the excess plastic was dremeled away(makes quite the mess!) so that it will fit inside his belly. A small slit is made in his underside, big enough to slip the little light inside and out. The necklace was added in the Hukilau Hurricane room by putting a little hole in his top, slipping both ends of the necklace through then tying a knot on the inside(which is easy with his slit belly) Ta-Da! If you like, I can take him apart and take a couple pictures.

FezApe, thanks so much! I'm glad you like him! I sketched this guy on a piece of paper, then scanned him into Illustrator and traced him vector style.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-14 8:24 pm   Permalink

Cool stuff wahine. I like the idea of that sign. Perhaps the idea in wood could work well? Blend in a little better?

The puffer fish is cool. Get a heap of them and make like a set of christmas lights!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-14 10:28 pm   Permalink

That necklace is something else, TikiWahine! Very cool!

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-15 2:54 pm   Permalink

I like the necklace. Will you be wearing it at this year's Hukilau?

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-15 4:12 pm   Permalink

Thanks Hewey!
Wood would blend in well! Maybe a flat relief? Like a panel or something?
I love the Christmas light idea, I could hang them all over the tree, or make a garlandy thing to adorn the house! I need to find a more appropriate ready-made light. Grinding all that plastic away takes so long, there must be another type of small light that doesn't flash.(maybe those tiny glow sticks people used to put in their mouths at clubs?)

Thanks Sam!
I'd love to make more and offer them to TCers, or get everyone making their own!

Hey Raffer!
If I can make it to Hukilau, I'll be wearing it.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-28 2:03 pm   Permalink

Let's Build a Solar Powered Tiki!
The parts I have used may not work with all solar light sets, but these plans can be easily modified.

Tiki Patio Lights

Here are some of the pieces you'll need to put this together. The blue thing on the left is an "ABS Test Cap" We'll be using it to create a large plastic washer, but any semi-rigid cuttable plastic would do.

We used metal washers, but another one made from plastic might be better, since the metal rusts.

The PVC fitting is a '1/2" Liquidtight Straight Fitting'. It's important that the fitting friction fits inside the metal post that holds the tiki above the ground.
The post is threaded inside on one end. It's important that you pound the fitting into the non-threaded end, since you will be screwing the pointy ground stake into the threaded end.

This is the set of lights I used. Any set will do, provided the light unit will fit inside the plastic tikis.

Remove and throw away the rubber o-ring. Remove the plastic nut, we will be using it later.

We will be inserting the non-threaded end of the PVC fitting into the non-threaded end of the metal tube.

Find a surface you don't mind mucking up(ie a block of wood) and pound that sucker in! You won't need to use a hammer, just take out a little frustration.

You'll need to make a washer out of the plastic, and a 3/4" wood spade bit made the right size hole.(use the end of the PVC fitting to figure out the size) It depends on your post size, so you might need to tweak it a bit(we used scissors to scrape it out a bit)

It doesn't have to be pretty, it will be hidden inside, but it should be a snug fit.

Like this.

Now put the washer on the bottom of the tiki, and insert the fitting.

Like this.

Holding the tiki and the parts on the bottom, insert the plastic washer through the top.

You will need some long pliers(at least 11"). We used chopsticks the first time, but it was very frustrating.

Using the pliers, push the plastic washer all the way down the threads on the PVC fitting.

Holding the plastic nut(flat side down) with the pliers, insert them both through the top of the tiki. Try to thread the nut onto the fitting. To tighten the nut, twist the post rather than turning the pliers. It's much easier.

Place the light on the top

All Done!
If you don't feel like going to all this trouble, I can make up some more and sell them for $20US each, plus whatever the shipping is. (will also swap for tiki art)

[ This Message was edited by: Tikiwahine 2005-08-29 12:28 ]

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 12:40 am   Permalink

Cool studd wahine! Awesome step by step. Im a little worried about how hairy your arms are for a "wahine" though

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 05:20 am   Permalink

TikiWahine, Excellent work and tha lighted puffer pendant is KILLER, and Sure to cause a Riot if you were to pull out a bag full for sale. You have steadily been producing some great art pieces. Just keep the flow coming. Very Nice.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 10:07 am   Permalink

Thanks Hewey & Ben!
I think I may have solved the glowing guts problem with the puffer. I think I've got an easy cheap solution, I'll post tonight if my idea works.

TikiTikiBoom
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 5:33 pm   Permalink

Would love to make a lil puffer light necklace myself! Can't wait to see the details! That is so cute!!

Tonight, we will have a big feast. And then, at the end of the feast, we will climb to the top of the Big Woo, and you will jump in. Okay?

View Profile of TikiTikiBoom Send a personal message to TikiTikiBoom  Email TikiTikiBoom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-30 11:38 am   Permalink

No worries Hewey, I was taking the pictures & Hubby was holding the bits and pieces. No hairy arms here.

TTB, my idea is to use a tiny little glow stick. They're only good for a one time use, but they're tiny and would fit through a smaller hole. You can probably get them for 50-75 cents(they're $1 for a pack of 2 earrings up here)

I totally forgot about it last night, as we were ripping up cork and preparing two meals at once(crock pot stew for tonight). As soon as it gets dark I'll post a couple of pictures.

Mahalo!

Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-04 11:30 am   Permalink

Well, the little glow sticks didn't produce enough light, so I'm off on another hunt to find a little light source.

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 06:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-04 11:30, Tikiwahine wrote:
Well, the little glow sticks didn't produce enough light, so I'm off on another hunt to find a little light source.

Maybe try an electronics store and get some LEDs?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation