FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tikiwahine's Creations - Update Jan 22 - Mug shelf & rockin' out
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Tikiwahine's Creations - Update Jan 22 - Mug shelf & rockin' out
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-06 10:53 pm   Permalink

Nice step-by-step, TW! Thanks for putting that together for us. Way cool idea!

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 11:15 am   Permalink

This weekend I finally got my mug shelf put together and mounted.

I stained the shelves & shelf supports, and used a dowel to make pegs that will support a fishing line rail along the front. I used a dremel to carve little Tiki Bob tributes into the 5" pegs before staining, then gluing & screwing them into the shelves. The shelf is 16' long.

Here DrunkenMunky pre-drills holes for the drywall anchors.

Some of the little faces. This was my first carving and staining experience.

The brackets are up, and the shelves have been screwed down to them.

Mugs are finally up. Vintage on the left, new on the right.

It's amazing how few mugs this thing holds, I figure I need at least one more this size just to get all my mugs up on the wall. I'd like to clear off the other shelf unit below so I can display all my Treasure Craft, Coco Joe's, Hip Original and wooden items.

We're thinking of trimming the shelf front and brackets in bamboo, and installing a plate rail below the brackets. I think LPs will fit perfectly in the 16" spaces.

The ceiling is going to be covered in matting and bamboo eventually, since it has a wonderful vaulted shape to it.

Thanks for looking! I've been waiting forever to get a shelf like this up, it's great to finally have it done.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 11:31 am   Permalink

Nice job Wahine. From the looks of it you could use more than a few of those shelves.
The little carvings are a great idea for fishline railing holders.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 11:39 am   Permalink

Thanks Rodeo!
It felt so good to finally get it done.

I have quite a few mugs and hawaiiana that need new homes. I wanted to get things organized so I can figure out what can stay, and what can go.

After trying to use some tiny chisels on a 3/4" dowel with no mallet or anything to secure the wood, my appreciation for carvers has grown in leaps and bounds. Switching to the dremel wasn't exactly easier, just faster. Mistakes are made faster as well. I didn't chuck anything, but a couple of the pegs have a sort of faux tapa thing at the top which is best viewed from a far .

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JimTandem
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 2:40 pm   Permalink

Looks great Tikiwahine!

I especially like how the mugs are lined up to flow like a wave from side to side. Very cool. Looking forward to seeing more pics as you go along.

View Profile of JimTandem Send a personal message to JimTandem  Email JimTandem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2005-10-11 2:51 pm   Permalink

very nice TW! and the album idea is fantastic! ditto what Jim said about the wave of mugs.. nice flow..

hurry with that ceiling treatment! (meaning, get your butts down to seattle to pick up the materials soon!)

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 3:54 pm   Permalink

Nice job on that shelf and by the looks of the brackets, you could put cement tikis up there and nothing would fall. Nice wave too.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 5:21 pm   Permalink

Hey wahine - cool set of shelves! I didnt notice the 'wave' until Benz pointed it out - nice touch. Sweet

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-11 11:08 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words Jim, Elicia, Ben and Hewey!

I have to admit the height veriation wasn't my own idea, I saw it here on TC and thought it was a great way to organize them, without getting too specific.

Fez Ape
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-12 03:40 am   Permalink

So when can you come to my house and put up a couple?
Awesome job you two did!

View Profile of Fez Ape Send a personal message to Fez Ape      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-13 09:50 am   Permalink

Thanks Ape!
And congrats on your 100th post!

Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-13 3:20 pm   Permalink

Looks great TW!! You're definitely going to need a couple more shelves judging from your collection in the photo (not to mention future additions)!!

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-21 9:15 pm   Permalink

I'm building a new computer desk. DrunkenMunky and I have to share it, so it's huge! 7 feet long, and almost as high as my mug shelf.

I stained all the birch ply panels, and the both of us screwed it together. Tonight I've put the first coat of varnish on it. I thought I'd take a picture before I go any further with it.

It's going to be trimmed in bamboo, and a few more tiki type touches, that I'm not quite sure of yet. I'm hoping that my tiki ohana can assist me in deciding how to make this desk extra zazz.

We're also adding two bamboo legs in the middle, and I have a giant(3.5') fork and spoon set I'm sacrificing to use as shelf supports.

I'll post more pictures as the progression continues. The next project will be our home bar, I figured this would be good practice working with wood & bamboo.

A Naughty Little Wiggle

[ This Message was edited by: Tikiwahine 2006-08-27 15:05 ]

rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-21 9:35 pm   Permalink

Damn thats a big desk. I am glad to read that your adding some supports, the last thing you would want is for it to sag over time. The color of stain is great.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-21 9:48 pm   Permalink

Thanks rodeo! It's 'Ipswitch Pine' from Canadian Tire.

The Birch has a really nice butterscotch grain, much like Koa. Very pretty! It would be a shame to cover it with woven bamboo

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation