FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 8:04 pm   Permalink

COOL!
ok, more.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 10:02 pm   Permalink

Hewey,

He's looking pretty cool for your first tiki carving. And he has a bit of a crazy look which is always good! So, how did you like working with the AAC? Isn't it easy? And the surface cleans up so nice - you'd never know that it wasn't sanded. How many blocks did you get? I had to split a whole pallette with a friend when I got mine.

Aaron

Quote:

On 2005-07-14 09:51, surfinstro wrote:
Where can I find hebel (also known as AAC or light concrete)???
NICE JOB

Surfinstro, I'm not sure where you are on the east coast, but
this post will set you on the right path to finding some AAC in your area. And here's some tools that work well for AAC (basically whatever you can scrounge up will work just fine). Good luck, post pix.

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-15 01:25 am   Permalink

Whoa! Thanks for the props!

Rodeo - thanks for the encouragement (and not harrassing me too much to post those flower pics)

Benazrt - Yeh, I intend on carving more. A natural? Who 'd have thunk it? Not me, thats for sure!

Flacookz - Never thought about the women's figure, but I do look at them a lot, so it is no surprise their influence crept in

Surfinstro - I got this from a local hardware store. Cost me $10 for 2 blocks (Aussie dollers).

Freddie - the eyeballs happened after I wasn't happy with the original way i did the eyes so i just kept going till it looked good. I like em too.

Marcus - Did I have fun? Hell yeah. So theraupedic just sitting there chiselin away. Like working on the car without the frustration and stress that goes along with it.

Spermy - get started! This stuff is way easy to work with, and easy to get to a decent looking finish

Raffer - thanks dude

Kirby - am I back on the hook if I don't keep it up? Haha, no chance of that

Surfintiki - more on the way

Aron - thanks dude. Loved that AAC, real easy to work with. My neighbour has been inspired and is going down to get some to play with next week. No tiki though. Only got 2 blocks.

Blows me away that the number of carvers (and artists) whose stuff i have drooled so much over would dig my stuff so much. Awesome

Well, I've got that second block sitting in the garage waiting (impatiently at that too). I might just have to have another go. ive got an itchy chisel finger.

When my parents get back from holidays they are gonna freak out at these tikis in their garden. I don't think they will stay there for long .

Where do people get their wood supplies from? I am looking at cheap to free price range.

[ This Message was edited by: hewey 2005-07-15 01:39 ]

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-15 06:12 am   Permalink

Gettin wood is the REAL quest for me. I still have a hard time getting some. But for smaller pieces, find a hardwood outlet, call around to the wood stores near you and ask around. 2nd, talk to landscapers, make a connection...they can bring you into some great stuff.
3rd, get your own! Drive around, see something? Grab it! Well, maybe ask if you can have it, if someone is standing there.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thanatos
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-15 7:40 pm   Permalink

Kerep going! Very nice.

View Profile of Thanatos Send a personal message to Thanatos  Email Thanatos     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-16 3:51 pm   Permalink

nice job hewey....! i've got a block of AAC in my garage that's waiting for me to carve up.

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-17 08:20 am   Permalink

Thanks for the tip surfintiki.

Thanatos: Already started on #2

Palama: Have a go with the AAC, its cool and different kinda vibe to wood.

I have already started on #2, but he is being a pain. It was originally going to have a big head-dress, but I accidently took a massive chunk from the base at the front, so he was too tippy. Now it's a one footer, and another one footer block.

It's not feeling as 'right' as the 1st one, but I will see what i can do with it.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kane Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-18 8:04 pm   Permalink

onya hewey, you've inspired me. the other day i found a cut up palm tree trunk in the local park so i lugged a nice sized piece home - on foot mind you, it was a heavy bugger! i bought a few cheap tools and am planning my next step now.

View Profile of Kane Tiki Send a personal message to Kane Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-18 11:15 pm   Permalink

Cool. Good onya Kane. Good to see some more Aussies on here. Can't wait to see your stuff

CondorTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-19 12:26 am   Permalink

Way to go Hewey! Good Job!

View Profile of CondorTiki Send a personal message to CondorTiki  Email CondorTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-19 01:01 am   Permalink

I just realised I've been here a year on the 10th of July! Wow, it's gone so quick.

Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 11:49 pm   Permalink

Great going, hewey... I'm getting a kick out of seeing how far you are progressing with each post! First pastels, then carvings! What's next???

[ This Message was edited by: Sam Gambino 2005-07-20 23:50 ]

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-11 06:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-20 23:49, Sam Gambino wrote:
Great going, hewey... I'm getting a kick out of seeing how far you are progressing with each post! First pastels, then carvings! What's next???
23:50 ]

When I finally sell the bug, I'm giving the '71 Ford Wagon I'm buying a full-on tiki makeover. Plenty of pics I promise. Just to tease, I'm thinking of covering the roof in 'ghost' hibiscus flowers in a pearl...

Plus I still got plenty of other 'arty' mediums I wanna try, which are yet to be seen on TC

atsinroc

Posted: 2005-08-11 12:25 pm   Permalink

Nice work for your first time. I like it. Keep up the good work.

View Profile of atsinroc Send a personal message to atsinroc  Email atsinroc     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-15 5:51 pm   Permalink

Well, still no digital camera, and i dont want to bug my neighbour too much.

Here is #2. Sorry for the crap pic, but I had to put it in the flatbed scanner. A crap pic is better than none though. Again, all done with chisels and rasp.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation