FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-08 6:24 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the comps folks

Benz: Yeh, the hope is the pirate will be cool.

Buzzy, we dont get Kangaroos on the roof. The rest of that is remarkably accurate though. There's not much to show with the pirate, Ive just taken a big chunk out of it so far...

Thanks Thors and Clarita

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-12 02:20 am   Permalink

Been a crazy few days. Here's the shortened version:

Bad news:
* No progress on the pirate.
* All of those logs I picked up out of the bush are hollow and are going into the bin.
* The back patio is currently flooded.

Good news:
* I have found a local guy who has just chopped down a large tree and has a heap of logs waiting to be picked up. The stuff left is all the largest stuff that they left till last
* I will be displaying some tikis at the art show that will be accompanying the Australian Hot Rod Nationals at Easter! It is mainly hot rod based art, but some general kustom kulture displays too. The pirate will be there as will the forthcoming hot rod tiki
* I got a job! Yeh I know, I got one late last year. I got a second job, as a journo with Australia's best selling car mag Street Machine. Effective as of immediately - already got my first story assignment! This is THE mag I read growing up as a kid!

STOKED STOKED STOKED

Now if only there were more hours in a week...

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigiant

Posted: 2007-02-12 02:50 am   Permalink

Cool

View Profile of tikigiant Send a personal message to tikigiant      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-12 11:29 am   Permalink

Congrats on the new job!
...and the logs too.

Oh yeah, and the car show...

Take care,
Buzzy

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-28 2:27 pm   Permalink

Rounded off the head a wee bit more

He’s got an eye socket and a big scar now. His patch will cover where his other eye should be, the big scar explains the patch! Looks pretty with candles, but the flash kills the mojo.

Trial of how a scarf will look. This is actually one of my shirts draped over him. Scarf will most likely be blue marine grade vinyl, aged to look the part.

Well I burnt him with a butane burner and added some colour. The scar came out really cool, with burnt edges and the very bottom copped some red paint as well. Doesn’t photo too well though.

‘nother pic

Next step is play with the colour in the mouth a bit more, install an eye in the eye socket, and work out what the hell to do for teeth (leading idea is steeling Kirby’s bamboo teeth idea, of course one tooth will be gold, but still undecided). Then its give him some varnish, then give him some hair, then the scarf and eye patch as a finishing touch.

JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-28 4:50 pm   Permalink

Nice design. It will look good when you get the blue patch on it. I would like to see some pictures when it is in location without the flash. Your toes give it some scale. It is still Feb here, so it is nice to see a post from the future and across the date line.

Good luck with the live carving adventure.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-28 4:55 pm   Permalink

Kool looking pirate Hewey, the red paint may be cool or overkill, don't know which, Pro'ly cool. Put some on them townails too.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-28 5:48 pm   Permalink

Thanks

So far all the pics have been taken at night because thats the only time Ive had to play with it, but yeh will get some proper pics, if nothing else when its completed.

As far as the red Im hoping it will be cool! I will sponge some darker red over the current colour to give it more depth and get that more aged/weathered look. Once the teeth are installed they will also lessen the amount of red too, and the gold tooth will draw its own attention but because it will be relatively small it wont overpower any of the other elements. The idea of the blue bandanna is to equal out the red, or it might just clash with it... I figure by aging (and as a result darkening the red and fading the blue) it should be okay, but ultimately I wont know until I do it.

kroozzn62
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-01 02:44 am   Permalink

looking good dude, man yeah that scar is looking good , isnt burning shait fun ha ha

View Profile of kroozzn62 Send a personal message to kroozzn62      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 01:07 am   Permalink

First of all a pretty sunset from last week, the flash kills the foreground

So how has the pirate progressed? Not very well! We got rain - lots of it! The water is supposed to go down the drain, not come out of it!

The good news is that "Kustom Kahoona" is now officially set up as a legal business Now to just make some tikis...

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 6:10 pm   Permalink

Last night I painted an eye up out of the top of a sweetened condensed milk can There's a nice twist to the eye, you'll just have to wait for me to post pics. I tried to take some last night but the battery for the camera died - sorry folks. The great part is that the eye is a perfect fit in the eye socket - the gods must be smiling on me! The eye gives him a very crazy look which is great too.

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-07 9:15 pm   Permalink

More pics!

This is the eye for the pirate. They say the eye is the window to the soul - this guys got a black heart

Gave the mouth some more detail. Copped a darker red, then some black too. I smeared the wet black paint with a rag, came out pretty cool. I also burnt the edges of the mouth to 'hide' the edge a little.

Overal view with the mouth paint

Here he is with the eye - finally getting an idea of how it actually look.

Im thinking I might ditch the hair idea. Next is clear polly (I did think about leaving it natural, but black hands every time I move it said otherwise). Then install the teeth (still working that out), and scarf and patch. Then its hot rod time!

Bailey is wondering when I will mow the lawn...

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-08 04:23 am   Permalink

Gave it a clearcoat tonight - man its come out almost black! Flash just gets lots of reflection, so Ill get some pics later. Interested to see how it is when its dry and in the daylight...

finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-08 04:33 am   Permalink

Arrrgh! Thar be no pirates mowin no lawns! He's comming along great mate. I like what the burning did for the mouth. I bet your pirate tiki could swallow your puppy in one bite!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-08 05:05 am   Permalink

That guy is gonna be COOOOOL! I can see it already. Finish that sucka--you can mow lawn later! Can't wait to see the final results.

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation