FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-09 5:49 pm   Permalink

Finky - the inside of the mouth is all paint, just burnt the bark a little around the mouth to hide the edge. Yep the pirate could swallow the puppy in one bite! But I think Bailey would lick him to death first...

Surf-n-turf - lawn is mowed, we even got the real estate asking us to mow it (must have driven past and seen how bad it was!)

My girl didn't think I was busy enough so we have put down a deposit on a car for her, doing the loan thing, all approved okay but doing all the paperwork. Once thats done the bug is up for sale (and I will driver her car until the wagon is going). So something else to do - clean and detail, advertise, etc etc and on top of that my regular job will be working next couple of Saturdays (6 day weeks), and Easter is starting to loom...

The pirate is a lot darker with the varnish, but not as dark as first thought now I can look at it in daylight. Cant start on the hot rod tiki yet because dusty AAC and wet varnish are not a good mix! Still pondering the teeth, and have to scope out some material for the patch and bandanna - probably tomorrow.

Very busy but all is good

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-10 10:57 am   Permalink

Cool place you got there, sorry about the rain.
The pirate is looking great,can't wait to see the teeth!
I like Bailey a lot too!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-12 01:50 am   Permalink

Thanks Clarita

Here are some pics with varnish in the sun, so you get a proper idea of the colour.

side

closer

closer still

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BambooLodge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 08:19 am   Permalink

Hydee Ho!

View Profile of BambooLodge Send a personal message to BambooLodge      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 11:03 am   Permalink

Excellent Pirate Heewey, I Love the eye on this guy. Way Cool.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 2:45 pm   Permalink

Thanks B Lodge and Ben

Its funny, I painted the eye a couple of days before LLT posted his tiki with the skull eyes, but I didn’t post my pics till after… ah well.

I bought some black vinyl for the eye patch and at best it looks cheap and tacky Soooo…. I am now looking at doing a coconut eye patch (like a coconut bikini cup) and that’ll be all burnt and varnished up to fit in. Hoping it will look cool. Got some blue cotton for the bandanna, the colour works well. Only thing is, if it’s in the sun it’ll fade. Ah well. Still undecided if I want to sell it or keep it.

Since Ive got so much spare time, Ive started on a moai for the carving swap too, this is despite not having started the hot rod tiki that I will be taking down to the art show for Easter…

Oh yeh, tonight Im picking up a really cool embossed tiki stool to carve, will post pics. Sometime….

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-15 4:15 pm   Permalink

Here’s my entry for the carving swap. Nice fat and smooth moai.

So, to make it look like he’s made of lava, I carve in grooves. I will paint the whole thing bright red, then paint the flat sections black so the cracks stay red. Still not sure if it will work yet!

I picked up this embossed leather tiki stool off ebay, US$13! Side:

How nice is that design?

Detail shot to show you the scale.

Between buying a car, picking up a stool, working back late for work, the pirate hasn’t progressed. Worse still I am working all day Saturday for my day job, and covering a car show on Sunday there’s no spare time there. Oh yeh, I also have to sell the bug sometime too.

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-21 4:11 pm   Permalink

Here’s the update on my carving swap piece. Gave him a coat of red.

Then detailed him with some black. Looks cool, but I was hoping for more ‘pop’ from the red. If I do it again I will use bright burnt orange. Reckon it would look sweet under a black light though.

Bought a coconut for the pirate eyepatch but I dont think its going to work... But I did see some sweet seashells at the seafood shop so think I might go with one of those... Still no teeth, deadline fast approaching and no start on the hot rod tiki... or the wagon...

finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-21 4:21 pm   Permalink

He looks like it would burn if you touched him! Nice job!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-21 4:21 pm   Permalink

Thats a neat effect, I'll have to borrow it

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-21 4:38 pm   Permalink

Cool lookin' Moai there Hewey...looks HOT!

I'll give ya double your money for that stool and give you that bone hammerhead you liked? Deal?

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-21 6:49 pm   Permalink

well done! looks great. awsome idea for the lava look, different and i like it. that one shot where he is just painted red looks like 'The Thing'.
great work

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-21 7:30 pm   Permalink

Finky: Thanks mate. He's just posing, he's not all that hot
TeaKEY: Look forward to seeing a lava mug
Gman: Nah, the stools MINE! I stole it off ebay fair and square... Throw in ya tekoteko and I might start talking
Duddy: Thanks. I got the idea off the Balrog in the Lord of the Rings, all shadow and flame and bad-ass attitude. I was kinda thinking he looked like the Rock Eater from Never Ending Story with bad sunburn

The little moai I have guarding the doghouse might get a hot-rod make-over for the art gallery show too, if I get time...

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-01 5:15 pm   Permalink

Woohoo! The pirate tiki is finished! I didn’t end up going with the hair on this guy, as you can see. Kirby’s bamboo teeth concept works really well, and of course one of them is painted in gold. The eye patch is a coconut shell from the top of wind chime which was sacrificed for the project. Overall very happy with it. It was finished late on Saturday night, I threw it in the garden for a couple of pics in the morning before barrelling him into the car for a 2.5 hour drive.

I also threw these together for the art show (non-tiki).

Im looking to paint some tiki exotica themed art on records soon too.

But for now I have a 4 foot high log I can barely move, which I need to quickly get to resemble a tiki in 3 days so people know what it is when I chop into it at the art gallery show…

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-01 7:27 pm   Permalink

COOOOL Stoool, Hot Lava and Punky pirate. cool!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation