FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-01 8:12 pm   Permalink

Thanks Ben.

One of the stool legs has broken (it had broken right through and been repaired previously), so that is another one for the project list... At the same time I will get it restitched too.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-01 10:02 pm   Permalink

I really like the abstract vinyl with pin-striping Hewey, it feels very cohesive and has a personal style greater than the sum of it's parts. The record wasn't immediately identifiable as your ground and instead acted as an integral abstract element. I'd do a series based on that one! At first glance I thought it was a piece of metal, like a recycled hub cap or who knows what.

Also the Pirate is very funny and the coconut eye patch was a great idea, as was the gold boo tooth!

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-01 10:22 pm   Permalink

ahh how cute...the pirate tiki turned out cool, real simple but it gets the point across i love the coconut eye patch,the bamboo teeth look good too but its kinda hard to tell the tooth is gold but mabey its just the photo.

Kirby's Island.com****Facebook**

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-02 12:01 am   Permalink

Sneaky - Thanks for the comps on the record. The best part is, at $1/record it's a cheap canvas! Definitely looking to do more.

Kirby - Yeh, he is a cutey. Design wise it's very simplistic, he doesnt even have a nose or ears, but all the add-ons give him a bit of personality. In person it's easier to tell it's a gold tooth, but it still doesn't stand out as much as I had hoped.

And looky what I got!

And this gives you some idea of where I am heading with it. Im not completely happy with the details, but I wanted to get the concept down on paper. He will be kneeling (hence no feet in this angle), still haven't settled on what to do with his arms, or facial design. The mouth will be deep enough so I can put some dry ice in it so he breathes smoke, and yes that is a plasma ball in his head (it will slide in from the back).

[ This Message was edited by: hewey 2007-04-02 02:09 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hewey 2007-04-03 06:12 ]

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-15 7:24 pm   Permalink

The hot rod nats were great. Highlight was getting the keys to a t-bucket hot rod for the cruise of the main street on Saturday night The cruise went for 2.5km along the main street of Goulburn, and was easily 5 deep both sides the whole way.

The art show was great. For the same opening time period they would usually expect 200 people through the doors, and 300 would be a huge success. Well we got 750 people through the doors! They were pretty surprised at it all. The show had a good mix with airbrush art, pinstriping, comics, a chopper bike, a hot rod, and of course some tikis! The live carving went well, I reckon I had 15 people watching me at one stage. Lots of people took business cards, but I don't know if any sales will come out of it. Its good advertising and making contacts. Best thing is I will probably be getting some tikis into the Sydney Custom Auto Expo and doing some live tiki carving there as well.

Pics to come when I can upload em at work...

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-15 11:23 pm   Permalink

Hewey: Was hoping you'd have a good show. Can't wait for the pictures

That log you got a couple weeks back looks promising. As does your plan:
Quote:

On 2007-04-02 00:01, hewey wrote:

Very ambitious! Can't wait to see it develop.

Is it winter over there yet?

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-16 12:33 am   Permalink

A plasma-brain & dry-ice 'smoke' from his mouth? Outrageous idea! I bet the end result will be fantastic.

Do I spy a leather Maori tiki stool on your table? I nearly bought one of those a few weeks ago. Is it comfortable?

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-16 4:48 pm   Permalink

Buzzy – ambitious or just plain crazy? So far it is progressing nicely, but it’s going to take a while. Not winter yet, still getting around in shirts and shorts

Tama – Thanks Tama. Check out page 12 for detailed shots of the stool, bought on ebay a few weeks ago (could have been the same one you were looking at?). Was comfy until the leg broke under me.

Here’s a mates pic of me carving in the gallery. I’ll get my pics sorted one day…

[ This Message was edited by: hewey 2007-04-16 17:01 ]

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-16 8:00 pm   Permalink

Great project Hewey. It is Always best to reach High with your goals and carvings. If you always do stuff you are comfortable with, then you are not challenged and you don't learn much. Just take lots of pictures of this guy as he looks like he will Really be Excellent!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-16 9:29 pm   Permalink

Right on Hewey!
congrats on the HUGE turnout!
Plasma Brains Rock!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kroozzn62
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-17 04:17 am   Permalink

looking good dude like that idea..... looking foward to the pics

View Profile of kroozzn62 Send a personal message to kroozzn62      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-17 04:48 am   Permalink

Very nice project.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-17 06:53 am   Permalink

Nice concept! Kinda brings me back to the 80's. Look guys it's a plasma ball!! Have fun.

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-17 3:16 pm   Permalink

Hewey, how nice to be carving in such comfortable surroundings - carpet!! - wonder if Yvette will let me lay some carpet in my workshop? red would be nice. may have to settle for a welcome mat at the entry. Carving looks great mate.

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-17 4:52 pm   Permalink

Thanks folks! It’ll definitely be a challenge, I know that.

Here are some pics of the art show.

This guys looks familiar

Panorama of the art show (thanks Buzzy)

Who let this junk in?

Some of Neo Dutch’s pinstriping and Brendon’s tiki (kruzzin62 on here).

And some progress on the big guy…

[ This Message was edited by: hewey 2007-04-17 20:37 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation