FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-17 4:56 pm   Permalink

Looks to be your best tiki yet Hewey. nice pix of the show.

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-17 7:15 pm   Permalink

Here are some more pics from the hot rod nationals.

This is the Impala I pinstriped a while back.

Just an art shot of the hills.

Hot rods!

This is the T-Bucket hot rod I got to drive on Saturday night

’34 Ford woody with matching teardrop trailer

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-17 7:34 pm   Permalink

Hewey, you are doing a great job with your carving. We need more pictures of your progression. Thanks for the great pictures of old cars. I love the teardrop picture.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-13 4:37 pm   Permalink

Yay… finally got some tiki love happening for you. The big guy is still sitting there, but I’ve still been busy.

Here’s my awesome moai swap piece hanging with my Finky pendant and my Gman pendant.

Here’s an extremely quickly done hebel/AAC tiki. Done in a couple of hours, from a square block to finish, including paint time.

Before paint. I attacked it with the corner of the chisel to give it a rough look.

After paint. Paint was sprayed (spraycan) metallic gold (real thick), then a heap of black over the still wet gold. Turned out pretty cool actually

Close up

Last weekend, I picked up some Cocos Palm logs – one of my mechanic’s mates chopped em down. Yes, my mechanic is sourcing logs for me This one was done for my mum for mothers day. Went for a more traditional look (than my usual stuff), more her taste.

The log

Debarked with a flat chisel

Nudey log

Sketch out a design in marker pen.

Carve out the design, take a progress shot with the dog in the way.

Fully carved out

Burn it with a butane burner!

The design section burnt. It was turned upside down to get the flame into all the areas I needed (burner doesn’t work very well upside down)

Then whip out the sander to get it a bit smoother.

To give it some more character I used a small rounded chisel (a gouge) to take back the edges, and then gave the whole surface a light burning.

Then to finish it off some details with white paint, and some marine grade varnish.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-13 11:21 pm   Permalink

hewey the two tikis look so good keep up the good work

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-14 4:09 pm   Permalink

Thanks mate

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-14 8:33 pm   Permalink

Hewey, I love what you did to that AAC block! Quite the artifact! That's the look I for on some of mine.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 09:10 am   Permalink

Nice work, Hewey. I love the chisel marks. I always try so hard to sand them out and then I look at someone elses work (yours, for example) with chisel marks and have to ask myself, "why would I ever sand them out, they look so good!

Keep up the chisel smackin'!

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
flynny
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 10:54 am   Permalink

Lovin the cars Man, over here, down in Devon it's a VW thing. Here's my 61 daily drive.

The Tikis are lookin great, gonna have to get me a burner.
Regards
Flynny

[ This Message was edited by: flynny 2007-05-17 10:55 ]

View Profile of flynny Send a personal message to flynny  Email flynny     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 6:26 pm   Permalink

4Wdtiki – thanks mate. The irony is it I put bugger all effort into it, and it came out pretty cool! I will be experimenting further with spraypaint effects on more tikis for sure.

Surf’n’turf – This was the first time I’ve ever gone for the chiselled look. It was too plain with the straight edges, and my girlfriend suggested I round off the corners as the sharp corners didn’t look any good. The chiselled off corners addressed the issue and gave it a nice traditional flavour.

Flynny – Nice ride. Here’s my soon to be sold daily driver:

On the weekend I will be checking out a reuse organisation. They have a warehouse where they sell all kinds of interesting industry offcuts for bugger all, and they also have an art gallery that only features works made from reused items. The exhibition they have at the moment is a tiki theme! Hopefully they will let me get some pics!

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 7:34 pm   Permalink

Man, don't you know when you turn a tiki upside down, they get all mad and pissy? The blood is supposed to rush to their brain and they are supposed to get all light headed and stuff but they Gots NO Brains and that makes peeps see that they have no brains and they get angry.
Nice finish too

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-21 8:56 pm   Permalink

It's been a while... anyway, here's a sneak peak of something I will be woking on for the Sydney hot rod show, and I've only got a week to get it done

One part tiki, one part frankenstein

There's some interesting stuff in this guy's future, but you'll just have to watch here for updates

tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-22 12:20 am   Permalink

hewey im very proud of you that looks so good keep up the good work and yes you can come to hawaii with me

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-22 07:29 am   Permalink

Cool one Hewey. Love all them Old Carz..

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 12:34 am   Permalink

Thanks guys. Over the weekend I got the log debarked, and bought some candy green paint. The candy will let the wood grain show through, so should be sweet. The idea is to get it nice and smooth so it can get some pinstripes on it.

It's just a log with no bark on it, so no pics at this stage

[ This Message was edited by: hewey 2007-06-25 00:36 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation