FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-08-28 7:57 pm   Permalink

Hey Hewey- You've definitely got the Tiki-Hotrod-Monster Kid thing down! Nice work!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-08 07:57 am   Permalink

Thanks folks

Well, I didn't get anywhere near the time to get into the big guy, so he hasn't been touched. I have noticed he's getting some nasty cracks, so I want to get into him soon. Because of the cracks, Im going in a different direction with it.

I needed a quick fix carve, and scored this cocos palm off a friend. Here it is at the early stage. It's going to be different

There is "good" bad taste, and there is "bad" bad taste, and the difference of the two is in the eye of the beholder - Sven Kirsten

[ This Message was edited by: hewey 2007-10-08 07:58 ]

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-06 12:39 am   Permalink

Captains log: Usual story, too much work, not enough carving And I now have another distraction. Tia is 8 weeks old, likes long naps, and chewing on anything that will fit in her mouth! This also means the dog house will be sold and a large one acquired to fit them both in. A nice 50s A-frame dog house for 2? Sounds like a good christmas holiday project

and one with the internationally recognised size reference

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-08 9:44 pm   Permalink

Get that puppy to help you get some chips flying.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zaya
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-09 09:14 am   Permalink

Awwwww, Hewey, she's so cute!

View Profile of Zaya Send a personal message to Zaya  Email Zaya Goto the website of Zaya     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-14 07:32 am   Permalink

Oh tia is so cute!! does she takes long naps after smelling your socks? !

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-30 4:35 pm   Permalink

I had the whole post written out, and the dogs bumped – deleting the whole message!

I did this a while ago, but was never really happy with it. Because I used spraypaint and it has such a rough texture, there bits that didn’t get proper coverage.

So I decided to go over it again and repaint it. First I painted it in metallic copper pinstriping paint (one shot brand). It took 3 or so nice heavy coats to get proper coverage, because the metallic bits had a tendency to sink into the crevasses. Once I had a nice coat of copper, I did a black wash over it with black pinstriping paint. So I painted it on, then wiped it off with a rag. I reckon it came out really cool, and it glows in the sun with the metallic. Unfortuneately it hasn’t been sunny since we got our camera back, so no pics. I’ll get some when the sun comes out.

I’ve also noticed the big guy has some cracks, so Im hoping to get into him over the Christmas break.

There’ll be another tiki before Christmas for a Christmas present, but then it’ll probably slow down. We’re moving in January, so we got that whole drama to deal with. My brother is moving up the coast for work, so we’ll rent his place from him. More rooms, bigger rooms, an AWESOME kitchen, and a garage! Wooo!

harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-30 4:47 pm   Permalink

nice work Hewey,

good to see you keepin' busy!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-30 5:21 pm   Permalink

hewey the big guy is looking great. Im looking forward
to more pic's of this guy.

I havent had any cracks on my latest guy but
from what little i have read and seen so far everyone
works with it.

The smaller red guy is the god of lava to me.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-30 6:02 pm   Permalink

Ooh, I'm liking that copper head! Looks like it was forged in a volcano.

Hewey, what kind of puppy is that? It looks alot like our Chihuahua puppy.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-30 6:41 pm   Permalink

Seeksurf - the puppy just likes chewing things, but I think with enough treats I can teach her to carve Yeh, I can work around the cracks. The smaller guy is brown in low light, then he goes a nice gold in the sun. But I do like the idea of doing one with lava orange/red

Zaya - She's cute, but also evil! Dont let her looks deceive you...

Clarita - No, my socks arent that bad . More like she takes long naps after attacking the other dog for 30 minutes

Harro - Thanks mate

4WD - Thanks also. He has got a cool volcanic look to him. I'm also thinking a gold tiki would look great with this effect, like one that was primitively cast hundreds of years ago. Got a few unpainted ones sitting around, so might play with them. The puppy is a mini-foxi (or mini fox terrier) crossed with an unknown dog. We got her from a shelter, the mum gave birth to the pups at the pound! She's settling in nicely now though. Although we're going through a LOT of paper towel cleaning up her little 'incidents'

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-14 03:50 am   Permalink

Lookie at what I got for my birthday - How good is my girfreind?

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-19 10:20 pm   Permalink

Long term viewers will remember the moais I did which I had guarding the doghouse:

I gave this one a make over. First of all I attacked it with a chissel for that weathered look, then gold paint, then a wash of black paint. Destined for a secret santa present. I'll do the 2nd moai the same, but rework him a little because Im not real happy with the shape.

And bought myself a kayak too soon to get some shark teeth style nose art

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-19 10:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-14 03:50, hewey wrote:
Lookie at what I got for my birthday - How good is my girfreind?

Hey Hewey
Great score! I was just thinking about adding those to my Christmas list. I have the straight blade already, use it all the time and love it. I have found that there have been several times I wished I had the cuved out one too. Have fun with those!

The VW looks like one of those shark hunter adventure tour companies now. Are you going to rub the nose of your boat with chum and hope the shark leaves a couple teeth in it when he clamps down, or are you just going to paint them?

Good thing that dog's going to stay small because it looks like he owns that pillow now. You'll still have room when he's all grown up. I lost a whole couch to my dog.
Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-20 3:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-19 22:34, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

Hey Hewey
Great score! I was just thinking about adding those to my Christmas list. I have the straight blade already, use it all the time and love it. I have found that there have been several times I wished I had the cuved out one too. Have fun with those!

The VW looks like one of those shark hunter adventure tour companies now. Are you going to rub the nose of your boat with chum and hope the shark leaves a couple teeth in it when he clamps down, or are you just going to paint them?

Good thing that dog's going to stay small because it looks like he owns that pillow now. You'll still have room when he's all grown up. I lost a whole couch to my dog.
Buzzy Out!

Thanks Buzzy! I haven't had a chance to try out the new knives yet, but Im keen to let loose on some small stuff. The sharks teeth will just be painted on the kayak, but I do have some sharks teeth I got off a member on here that I still need to do something cool with. I've been saving them for something worthy! Beleive me, when I want the bean bag the dogs get turfed!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation