FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-20 4:55 pm   Permalink

All I gotta say ... is that's a stylin dog house!
Cool kayak! I'm an instructor over here in these parts...c'mon paddlin with me!
Carve yourself a greenland paddle too! Here's one I did a while ago...it's considered oceanic arts right?

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-20 5:05 pm   Permalink

Nice work on the gold guy. I love the dog house it looks like
dog mansion with the statues out front.

The kayak on the bug looks like allot of fun particularly
where you live at.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-20 6:34 pm   Permalink

Here's some more pics of the gold tiki, with the other moai twin. Gives you a much better idea of the texture and colour compared to a natural hebel carving.

Surfintiki - Thanks mate Now we have a 2nd dog, Im looking at whether I need a bigger house for them or not. If we keep this one, it'll get a canoe prow with a glass float, and a thatch roof If I'm ever your way I'll come for a paddle!

Seeksurf - Thanks too The dog house isn't too big, but the 2 guys out the front set it off nicely. But seeing as the gold moai will be a christmas present, I'll have to make some more guardians for it There is some very nice paddling around Sydney. Im about 5 minutes from this section of the Nepean River

Which if you follow it up a few kms looks like this:

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-21 02:49 am   Permalink

Another update, the other moai is getting the matching treatment too. Here it is with the first coat of gold. It'll get a couple of more heavy coats of gold (to smooth out the finish a little, get rid of the air bubbles), and then it'll get the black wash over the top.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-22 4:59 pm   Permalink

The second gold moai is done. Now which one was which...

Also, I've just arranged with a mate to swap him a tiki shifter for one of his pinstriped panels. I'll most likely do a tang, and it will go in his gasser drag car (which he built and painted himself)

There is "good" bad taste, and there is "bad" bad taste, and the difference of the two is in the eye of the beholder - Sven Kirsten

[ This Message was edited by: hewey 2007-12-22 18:14 ]

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-02 6:51 pm   Permalink

Cool Moais here Hewey, I Love the gold finish, Very unique!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-03 2:47 pm   Permalink

Nice work hewey, are those moais eating the Pedigree
food also?

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 9:44 pm   Permalink

Well, Ive sinced moved house and havent touched a carving or a painting since... I cant even get pics of my new work area because my girlfreind is interstate with the camera... You wouldnt beleive it, a lowbrow gallery is having a tiki/surf kinda themed exhibition - opens in a weeks time, but they'e just finished the set up for it. Sooo too late to get onto that And its interstate, so I cant even go for a look... Right now the priority is unpacking crap, fixing old cars and all that kinda stuff... Hope to carve again one day...

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 02:28 am   Permalink

Well I got around to working out how to transfer pics from my phone to my computer, so here’s a few pics of my workspace

This shed will be mainly for painting and carving (plus general storage area too). Its one of those sheds which appears to be made out of scraps, so there’s all kinds of things used in its construction.

An overall shot from the yard. Has a nice little awning out the front which is also a perfect spot for the BBQ As you can see, there is still crap everywhere from the move.

Looking in the door

Inside the shed

Still working out where to put my poster

As well as the shed, Ive got the garage,which is for mechanical work and anything that requires use of things spanners, vice or a bench grinder

Rear window of the wagon. TCer stickers include 'boo ben, Tiki shark, Stufforama, Buzzy, Marcus, as well as the Shag and Von Franco stickers

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 04:28 am   Permalink

Kia ora Hewey - Dontcha just hate moving? In fact the only thing worse is not having a workshop, but you seem to have that covered (just in time for 'workshop month'..). Considering these are night-shots the lighting seems pretty good. Is it a stupid question to ask whether or not the Tiki-wagon will live in the garage? You guys dont get a lot of rain, surely it wouldnt mind making way for Tiki-dust?

Where to put your poster? You could put her on the ceiling - and install a mirrored floor??

T

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-28 9:28 pm   Permalink

Hey Tama. Yeh, moving is a right royal pain! The lighting is pretty sweet - a double fleuro inside the shed, and a double fleuro under the awning where the BBQ is. I've also got a kero heater, so working through winter will be sweet, just leave the door open a little to let some air in The wagon will live in the garage, but I'll move it out if I ever want to work in there. Its more for security reasons than keeping it clean. I dont really want to get all my car stuff (tools, parts etc) covered in sawdust, so the shed will be used for all that kind of stuff. Looking forward to getting some time to play in there!

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-28 10:52 pm   Permalink

That all looks pretty cool Hewey! Nice spread! Looks like you already got that Tikicarver lawn thing going too.
Now that you can't use that "All my stuff is packed up and I'm moving" excuse anymore, let the chips fly and make the cars go VROOOOOOOM!

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-29 04:36 am   Permalink

Ditto those guys, Ceiling was my thought and No more excuses... Right on guys.
Looks like you will have a sweet setup with this shop and shed, Lucky devil now Make us some tikis, join the swaps, let the chips fly, get to work . Second thought about the poster, hang it in the closet where you won't be staring at her all day creating More excuses.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-29 3:13 pm   Permalink

Sweet, Hewey! LOTS of room for tiki action. You can use the bikes to get from one area to the next...don't run over the girl, or dogs though! I like all those stickers on the car, that would be a fun thing to make up...where's yours Hewey?

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-29 5:08 pm   Permalink

Nice looks very homey.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation