FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
Luigi

Posted: 2008-12-02 9:29 pm   Permalink

Why, Hello kind sir. I thank you for the compliment on my work. I'm still new to the tiki world...uh ...I'm trying to think of how to finish this sentence...uh... tiki... look foward to seeing your work

*side note* No, I am not a total spaz
*side-side note* Yes, I am a total spaz
** But not realy though... but yes..no

[ This Message was edited by: Luigi 2008-12-02 21:33 ]

View Profile of Luigi Send a personal message to Luigi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-13 06:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-28 23:25, hewey wrote:
Hewey's log, 29 November 2008:
Yeh, Im still alive. Basically my life's been completely turned upside down over the last year. Funny how tiki stuff take's a back seat whent the proverbial hits the fan eh? Anyway, just letting you know Im still kickin around, and I hope to get back into the carving side of things again soon Hewey

WELLL?
Wheres the new wood carvings with all those LOGs? C'Mon, lets get busy

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-26 04:19 am   Permalink

*Hewey coughs as he blows thw dust off this old thread...*

Been a while since I played with my wood, so thought I'd have a go and take some pics to share

Well for something different I'm going to make an Alaia, which is a traditional Hawaiian surfboard, like the one pictured below.

Alaia's are pretty hard to surf, so Im not even going to bother trying so for that reason I just bought a cheap sheet of butted pine from the local hardware store to make this. It will be for displaying in my tiki room or chucking on the roofrack of an old car (when I get one ).

Im also doing a 4 foot Paipo (basically the bellyboard equivalent of the Alaia), that will be made out of Paulownia wood, which is a much better wood for making a board.

Project start on the Alaia, butted pine plank.

The end of this Alaia gives you a good idea as to the profile and rails on these boards.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-26 3:27 pm   Permalink

Cool! I can't wait to see how that turns out.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-02-26 4:13 pm   Permalink

about time. and that is a cool mug

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kroozzn62
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-26 4:31 pm   Permalink

Hey dude give me a buzzzz i got some big logs of camphalorill "forgive my spelling"
your board looks cool

View Profile of kroozzn62 Send a personal message to kroozzn62      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-03 02:54 am   Permalink

During the week I got my 4 foot Paulownia board blank from Surfing Green, which is for making a Paipo (bellyboard cousin of the Alaia), which I actually plan on surfing. They threw in a bonus blank too, which has a weaker grain, for nothing. Given I'll only be surfing little stuff I dont think the weaker grain should be too much of an issue

The 3 board blanks together, for now Im just going to make the bigun.

I traced the shape for the board off the computer screen, then drew up a quick grid pattern

I then transferred that to baking paper, and cut out the template, laid it on my pine board, and weighed it down with the first thing I could find, being model cars

Trace it, flip it over and trace it again. This ensures the sides are equal

Finished shape

In the shed for cutting. Only had one saw horse, so the other end was balanced on my log pile (drying them out to carve)

Starting to shape up Sides need a little work to tidy up, but given its just a wall piece Im not too concerned

The logs in the garage I got on the weekend just been, so I sealed them up with some candle wax, the burner certainly helped the process

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kroozzn62
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-03 03:44 am   Permalink

Hes back .........
Hey dude looking good

View Profile of kroozzn62 Send a personal message to kroozzn62      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-03 07:11 am   Permalink

HEWEY!!!!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PutiTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-03 10:17 am   Permalink

Hewey - Quick Q about the wax. I understand the purpose is to seal in the moisture but when do you take it off and how long do you dry the log prior to carving? I have to large pines drying out in my garage and all I did was spray ALOT of spray varnish on each end. If moisture is trapped in there, won't it have to escape eventually and split the wood? I'm new to TC so I appreciate the insight. Good luck with the board.

View Profile of PutiTiki Send a personal message to PutiTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-03 1:39 pm   Permalink

Hey Puti. This is the first time I've done this, so I'm hardly an expert. My understanding is the splitting occurs when the wood dries out too quickly. With the ends sealed, it slowly evaporates out through the bark, but in a slow controlled way. My woodworking mate who told me about this reccomended I leave the wood to dry out for 2 years before cutting, so this gives you an idea of how long it takes for a log of this size. When the wood is dry simply cut an inch off each end (which I'll need to do to make the base flat anyway), debark it, and carve up a tiki! I think the advantage of the candle wax is it gives a nice solid barrier to the moisture escaping. With something like the varnish, being end grain and with the wood drying out its going to need a LOT of varnish to seal it properly. Plus you get to play with a burner!

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-03 3:53 pm   Permalink

I'm digging the real retro board!

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-05 9:01 pm   Permalink

I wasnt happy with the shape of the fish tail rear end so I lopped it off, so it now looks more like a traditional Alaia. I then rounded off the edges a bit, and gave the rails some shape too (although not much, given it wont be a rider so its not critical).

Once I'd done that, I decided to wack the bejesus out of it, just for kicks. As luck would have it, a hammer and a tyre iron were close at hand

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-06 01:01 am   Permalink

Now that the shape was sorted, time to engrave a Tangaroa face. First of all a quick sketch.

Yup, looks good.

Trace

And carve. I wasnt completely happy with how it turned out, cutting across the grain gave pretty messy cuts

So it hit it with a burner

I them sanded the face a little to knock off some of the burnt bits. And to give the wood some more colour, I sprayed a little red primer then wipped it off straight away, only doing a dinner plate size at a time.

Next I went over it with some black paint, using a paint brush to get it into the knocks and dings I made, then wipe it off again.

For comparison I lined the offcuts up next to it to illustrate the colour difference

Still need to add the black to the back, then its time for some clear varnish.

surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-06 06:34 am   Permalink

Hewey! Take that bugger surfing anyways!!! That'll give it a nice worn in look!!
Very cool man, love it. Get a picture of it hanging on your wall when you're all done.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation