FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-15 6:00 pm   Permalink

And here are the moai twins. Still in progress. Both this and the last one are about a foot tall. Any suggestions on improving them?

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-15 8:23 pm   Permalink

I like these... Simple, yet kitschy!

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ManoKoa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-15 8:49 pm   Permalink

The twins are off to a very good start but the edges don't really correspond with the very stylized outline you have going on.

If I were you, I would round the corners out . . . a lot, and create more of a shape from the frontal view.

Don't try to be me though. Be yourself.

Be brave, be proud, and whatever cuts you make, commit love and respect to them.

View Profile of ManoKoa Send a personal message to ManoKoa  Email ManoKoa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
codelisa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-15 10:32 pm   Permalink

I'm loving that tiki carving. And that's your first try? Not bad for a beginner... Way cool!

Have a drink on me...

View Profile of codelisa Send a personal message to codelisa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
saxotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-17 06:29 am   Permalink

I don't know, hewey, I'm kind of diggin' them just like they are.

View Profile of saxotica Send a personal message to saxotica  Email saxotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-17 09:33 am   Permalink

lookin' good, Hewey.... i hope that AAC didn't tear up your scanner glass.

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-17 6:19 pm   Permalink

Nah Palama. I put down a clear overhead projector sheet to protect the glass. Still messy though.

Any others got opinions on "the twins"? I'm gonna leave em for a while before I do anything with them.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-17 7:04 pm   Permalink

Hewey: here's my two cents worth. the more i look at my Moai, the more i realize that i'm pretty far off the mark on the design. i am about to start carving a new design, in the attempt to get as close to the original style as possible. I found this website with some really great photos of the Rapa Nui Moai. I have no idea who these people are, but they took some nice photos that I'll be using for reference. if you are shooting for the ideal moai image, these pics may help.

http://www.georgeandpaula.com/photos/easter_is/easter.htm

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-17 7:30 pm   Permalink

Wheres the Moai pics in that link? I got stuck on the hula girls . I know where your coming from, I dig the genuine designs.

But I'm not 100% comfortable with trying to make a direct copy of a traditional design. I dig this "tiki thing" from the pop culture perspective. I feel a little wierd doing straight traditional designs, its not my heritage. I dont have a problem with others doing it, its just something I'm not big on for my own works. Yes, my work has a big traditional influence. I dont know if this makes sense to others, but its where I stand.

It could be argued that 50's tiki culture is not my heritage either, which is a fair call. I dont think it was as big Down Under. But the basis of tiki pop culture is romanticism about tropical islands, which is what I dig.

(Again, this is not intended as a go at anyone who replicates traditional designs. Please do not take it in this way)

Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-17 7:42 pm   Permalink

yeah, i got hung up on the dancing girl photo too...

in the end, you gotta carve what your heart tells you to carve. inspiration comes from many different places. me personally, i look to the originals as my inspiration, but haven't yet come close to capturing them. but as you said in your walkabout post, it's not necessarily the destination but the journey that's important.

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-19 10:55 pm   Permalink

Hewey,

These look like rough-outs to me so far. Go with your instincts & keep carving. This is the great thing about AAC. It's cheap and you can get things going without a huge time investment. It's a great start, now go for the kill. If it doesn't look right just toss 'em and start over. You guys are getting me excited about doing another AAC piece!

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-24 12:47 pm   Permalink

Hows the twins coming Hewey?They were looking very good and I've been waiting for updates. Can't wait to see the final Moai twinz.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-24 7:02 pm   Permalink

The moai twins are waitin in the garden for some lovin. I think I know where I want to head with em now. Got a ferw things bubbling along so im not sure when I will get around to em

kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-30 12:38 am   Permalink

I love twins...

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-30 8:38 pm   Permalink

Me too!

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation