FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 9:12 pm   Permalink

Forgot to say I also got a a couple of pieces of wood shaped like axe type things from my brother. They were just sitting in his house when he moved in, from the old owners. Just cutouts, very plain. But im gonna tart em up all nice and pretty. Ill post pics of all this some day, maybe after I actually do something...

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 05:31 am   Permalink

No. 1 is almost finished! He's got a couple of coats of stain so far. I might give him some dark highlights to really bring out the cracks, then some clear marine lacquer. Ill get multiple pics when I finish him (not just use the scanner).

Here is one of my next project (besides the 2.5 footer):

Its a piece of wood that was left at my brothers place by the old owner, and its shaped like a club. Theres another one, but more on that later. The pattern is just something I freehand sketched, inspired by maori style designs.

With that in mind, Im gonna use more maori style tiki for the finish. Once Ive cleaned it up, Im gonna basecoat the whole thing in silver spraypaint, then overlay this with a jade green (candy or metallic). Once this has been done, I will paint the un-engraved sections of the club in black. When I finish, I hope to have all the engarved sections nicely detailed in green. It should really pop against the black.

But Ive also got some cool plans for the other club...

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 05:39 am   Permalink

looks nice Hewey.....I really like the shape of the weapon....it will be a nice addition
to your portfolio.....

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 05:42 am   Permalink

Really nice hewey,
I would encourage you to use some different stain colors too. Its fun and really makes a difference by adding layers of color. They are usualy subtle, but make a huge difference in the overall finish. Great free hand on the club. Looking forward to seeing this one finished.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 09:27 am   Permalink

Looks good so far . I really like the freehand sketch work you have done.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kaha ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 09:43 am   Permalink

Aloha Cuz, Looking good brah! Keep up the good work and keep posting da kine for us to spark!

Malama Pono!

View Profile of kaha ki'i Send a personal message to kaha ki'i  Email kaha ki'i Goto the website of kaha ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hmc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 1:29 pm   Permalink

Cool shape hewey. A brown stain would look awesome on this! Maybe you could stain the next one??? Pretty please???

View Profile of hmc Send a personal message to hmc  Goto the website of hmc     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 5:00 pm   Permalink

Hewey, I'm glad to see you Finally finishing that cute little tiki. I Love the stain. He is turning out very nicely, and the Club is going to be Killer.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 7:33 pm   Permalink

looking good hewey - you could do someone some real damage with that club!!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 7:59 pm   Permalink

Hewey,

Comgrats on carving a great tiki. Do you have anything left to do or is he "done"? Very nice job. I'm glad to see you are still working on him down there. Neat club, was that shape already cut?

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 9:39 pm   Permalink

kan I be the first one to get there head chopped of with that club...my brain is realy pissing me off lately and I think i neen a brand new dome.....keep it up hewey

Kirby's Island.com****Facebook**

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 10:01 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the feedback, i hope to get back into it when I get home!

#1 still needs a little work, but only minor finishing (detail with dark stain, clearcoating). Hopefully be done within a week.

I got the club cut out in that shape already. I might take an outline of it for a template though. This club seems to be popular.

Kirby, the next club might do a little more damage. Its gonna be a little nastier and meaner...

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 7:23 pm   Permalink

I finished the club today - arent public holidays great! (its Australia Day here).

I finished the carving, then basecoated it in silver spraypaint. The silver gives the green a uniform base coat, and also brightens up the final colour.

Then I overlayed that with a green metallic.

Then I painted on all the black, except for the bits that I wanted green. It came out looking a little like this:

Actually, it looks better in real life. The green is more of an irredescent jade green. And the black is more black. I will get some proper pics of it and the little guy when the little guy has had another few coats of clear lacquer.

Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-26 12:31 pm   Permalink

Cool work, hewey! Your drawing style is evident in the tiki too. Fine stuff!

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-28 7:37 pm   Permalink

The wood tiki has been given plenty of clear lacquar and came out sweet. It might be going to HMCs galley/bar en Melbourne. Ill post some "finished" pics (proper pics of teh whole piece, not just scannings) soon hopefully.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation