FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Trader Vic's is coming back
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Trader Vic's is coming back
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-03 08:59 am   Permalink

I am thrilled to report that at the Palm Springs Preservation Society event this weekend Peter Seeley, grandson of the Trader and exec at Trader Vic's, announced that thanks to renewed interest in Tiki culture, his company is not only planning new outlets in New York, but also San Francisco, Philadelphia, Scottsdale Arizona, Waikiki, and Berlin.

I could not get a definite answer as to how traditional these franchises are going to be, but I believe more so than the Palo Alto one.
The Tikis will supposedly be carved in Asia, from the original Barney West ones still in the company's posession.

We know the mugs will be top notch thanks to Holden Westland's Tiki Farm.

Mai Tais to the world!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki on 2002-11-03 09:15 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-03 10:30 am   Permalink

I was just wondering when they were going to do that... It seemed a shame that the Toronto Trader Vic's closed just before the 'revival'. Will they bring it back here too? That would be swee-e-e-e-t. I would personally make sure they were well patronized!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-03 11:46 am   Permalink

That's excellent news, bigbro. I have corresponded with Pete regarding some TV collectibles. He does a good job of trying to "return" some rarer items to the company's collection.

I am eager to see a San Francisco TV return...was just by the old location this weekend. That is just excellent news.

Cheers,
midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-11-03 1:49 pm   Permalink

That is wonderful news, indeed. I heard a rumor that they were considering opening a new Vic's in Las Vegas, but I have not confirmed it. However, it seems more likely now.

Welcome back, Maxton!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-04 7:02 pm   Permalink

They're deep into getting Berlin up and running by Spring of next year. We're discussing resculpting many of their molds to the original spec's because, over the years, the molds have burned out and the quality has gone downhill. Currently, we are just about to launch the Suffering Bastard in the original black lava glaze as well as in 2 new colors plus the decanter as well. We're also redoing their Kava Bowl - you can see it at Mike's (TikiHula) http://www.tradervic.com website. It's an awesome hand-painted footed bowl that is WAY larger than the other bowls - is intended to serve 4 adults. We are also launching an entirely new "Trader Vic's Signature" mug complete with an 8-page mini cocktail booklet. I should have photos of all of these online in about 2 weeks.
Holden
... here's a direct link to the Kava Bowl from Mike's site...
http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/vics/aaa

[ This Message was edited by: smogbreather on 2002-11-04 19:06 ]

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-04 7:52 pm   Permalink

That's some good update info on your work for the new TV's and their expanded ceramics. The kava bowl is quite a piece, I believe all Mike is missing is the "PBY Gremlin".

Looking forward to the new stuff, hope to see it soon!

midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-04 9:02 pm   Permalink

That's great news!!! Im gonna get spoiled! LaMariana, Tiki's grill&bar, and TV!!! next thing you know you'll be tellin me Don the Beach is comming back!!

I hope they get rid of who eva is living in the old TV in the international market place here in Waikiki! That would be great to see that place come to life again. Sometimes I try to look threw the shutters and I see clothes haning up. They say the maintenance (sp?) ppl use that bldg but I really think someone is also living in it.

Live Aloha
Gecko

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scamboogah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-11-05 06:52 am   Permalink

I'm excited, but at the same time very concerned.

Here's hoping they do it right. Please don't make it into 'Kahunaville' or Hard Rock Cafe with more parrots. There should NOT be a videogame area or skee-ball.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

View Profile of Scamboogah Send a personal message to Scamboogah  Email Scamboogah Goto the website of Scamboogah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-05 07:08 am   Permalink

Kiliki and I came across a huge scarf in an antique store the other day with a big map of Hawaii with all the touristy images and there was Trader Vic's. It was nice to see. I also have a vintage Florida map with Cuba on it and Trader Vic's is shown there. That'll come in handy when we go try to find it...

We need more TV's on this side of the globe. I'd like to see one in Cancun. I think it could work well there. Location would be important. Ruth Chris is there and everything else. Well, maybe I just want better MAi Tai's when I am there...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-05 08:13 am   Permalink

Quote:
I have corresponded with Pete regarding some TV collectibles. He does a good job of trying to "return" some rarer items to the company's collection.

I too, have exchanged emails in the past with Peter Seeley. He purchased a few Trader Vic's items from me a little over a year ago. I guess for the past couple years they've been trying to acquire some of their old ceramicware for reproduction in their growth venture. I believe Holden at Tiki Farm was lucky enough to see their "stash" of vintage collectibles!

* * * The Polynesian Popster * * *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2002-11-05 08:25 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-05 1:16 pm   Permalink

When I list tiki items on ebay, I usually include something stupid in my auctions like "Trader Vic still owes me 10 bucks" to throw in a few keywords in the ol search engine. I got a semi terse email from Peter Seely asking me exactly why does Vic owe me $10? I replied that vic was a colorful guy with a a pranksters sense of humor & I was sure he wouldnt mind.
I had no idea he was related!
Does this qualify as a tiki faux paus?

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-05 2:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Does this qualify as a tiki faux pas?

Anyone who would say it is a tiki faux pas to claim Vic owes you $10, is a stinker.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-05 4:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Scamboogah wrote:
I'm excited, but at the same time very concerned.

Here's hoping they do it right. Please don't make it into 'Kahunaville' or Hard Rock Cafe with more parrots.

I wouldn't worry too much. The current Trader Vic's are very much 'high end', with prices to match. A good number are in the basements of 5 star hotels, catering to big spenders, with prices to match. We have to fight our way past the high class prostitutes to get a drink at London's Trader Vic's.

The new Vic's may well be brighter, with fewer Tiki's on show, but rest assured, they aren't going to suddenly go for the mullet dollar.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-05 4:14 pm   Permalink

Woody,
"We have to fight our way past the high class prostitutes to get a drink at London's Trader Vic's. "

I told you a HUNDRED times, my hotel bill was massive. Do you know what they charge at the Langham!?! Next time I will do better budgeting the quid, ok?

Necessity breeds, uh, creative fund-raising.

And yeah, I would not be concerned any new TV's go Kahunaville...or Yikes,--- Taboo Cove!

midnite

stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-05 6:49 pm   Permalink

Great news, Big Bro!

I get to eat my words now when I said in a previous thread that Trader Vic's in NYC "ain't coming back." And to think they will be in all those locations!

Feels like Christmas or my birthday with lots 'o presents!

Now we just need one in HB!

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation