[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » All the Cool Kids use Shakers
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
All the Cool Kids use Shakers
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-16 8:59 pm   Permalink

I'm starting this thread because the Shaker Alternatives thread was starting to turn into a thread about shakers, and not their alternatives, which kind of misses the point of the thread. I did a search for a thread just for shakers and was shocked to not find one! So here you go, a lovely thread to talk shakers, post pictures of shakers, what have you.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-17 12:25 pm   Permalink

Sweet Daddy's Shakers.

The "A" List:

The one on the left - etched starbursts - is my favorite. You may recognize the one on the right from my fabulous drawing of it.

The others:

Smaller shakers without lids, in a variety of sizes. I use 'em to hold straws, swizzles, chopsticks, etc. or sometimes as serving glasses for milkshakes, etc.

blog

[ This Message was edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-09-18 01:43 ]

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-17 12:58 pm   Permalink

NICE collection SDT!

I haven't seen any worth bringing home yet, however my martini glass collection has been growing steadily. I find that guests like to be able to pick their own. Or I just give 'em all something different, like the tiki mugs.

Back to the topic - Shakers are great, they have history to them, and they're functional!

Thanks for posting the pics.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-17 3:37 pm   Permalink

Thanks Tikiwahine. Why don't you post pictures of your Martini glasses?

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-17 4:37 pm   Permalink

I use a Hazel Atlas Pink Elephants shaker.

Here's the one on Ebay.

Metak shakers with markings on them are retarded. What good are markings to mix a drink when you can't see hwo much is in there? In a bar, you have to use metal for safety reasons. At home, I prefer glass.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-17 8:56 pm   Permalink

Here is my cocktail shaker collection that is steadily being infiltrated by an overflow in tiki mugs and other assorted old stuff...

...I rarely use any of the glass shakers. I lost a nice vintage Anchor Hocking shaker when it slipped out of my hands years ago and I've been scared to use glass ever since. On a daily basis I use the "Dial-A-Matic" metal shaker my wife bought me for Christmas 8 years ago. In the third pic you’ll notice the Hazel Atlas cobalt/sailboat shaker set that I got for a real steal ($25.00 for all the pieces!) and one of my all-time favorites... I had a party guest a couple years ago decide that he wanted to mix up his own drinks and use this shaker - I didn't mind that he wanted to try his hand at bartending but why in the hell did he have to pick this one? The shaker survived fine but wouldn't you know it... the lid seized up and I nearly lost my mind trying to get it back off! Then finally with the aid of hot soapy water, a block of 2X4 and a very non-delicate hammer I got it off again - I was afraid it was going to end in tragedy but thankfully it didn’t.

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-07-18 1:17 pm   Permalink

That's some collection John! Is that an orginal penguin shaker? They make them new but I would love to have one of the originals.

I have a lot of the glass recipe shakers, and the cobalt blue one with silver fish, but my collection is pretty meager.

I also use the dial-o-matic metal shaker most of the time. It has a large capacity, and since metal gets colder much faster then glass it chills the drink more quickly so I prefer metal over glass.

I usually measure with a jigger so it doesn't matter to me if the shaker has measuring marks on it. But sometimes I'll use a large marked measuring glass when making a batch, then I use a metal mixing can over the top, tap it to seal, shake, and strain with a strainer.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
badmojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-18 1:57 pm   Permalink

9 times outta 10 I end up grabbing the blue plastic Chilis Restaurant freebie shaker when my wife asks me to make her a drink.

View Profile of badmojo Send a personal message to badmojo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-18 5:33 pm   Permalink

I love the vintage shakers, I had a nice set of 'cocktail time' highball glasses, and I've seen a shaker that matches but it was super pricey. After our wedding I went looking for a nice vintage cocktail shaker set, for our friend who married us. I could only find sets that were several hundred bucks, so I gave her six of my vintage glasses, (they were a buck each at a thrift store in Cleveland about 12 years ago) and I'm pretty glad I didn't spend the money on the shaker, by the next time I went to her house, her housemates had broken 2 of the glasses
what dopes! I was watching Queer Eye 'best of' recently and they had gotten this guy a really sweet vintage shaker, and martini set, and the QE guys were saying 'that set has never been used, it cost $500..." and as they were saying it, the straight guy completely spazzed and dropped the shaker, on top of the glasses and broke everything. JEEEEEZ. It was very sad.

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-18 8:18 pm   Permalink

I just caught that part of that episode last night! I almost cried. lol

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-18 8:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-18 13:17, thejab wrote:
Is that an orginal penguin shaker? They make them new but I would love to have one of the originals.

Don't I wish! Unfortunately it's a reproduction. I really went overboard when I started collecting shakers about 10 years ago... I bought every glass shaker that remotely appealed to me not to mention all the accompanying glasses, ice buckets, swizzle sticks, bar gadgets, etc. What you see in the cabinet is probably only half of what I've amassed - the others are wrapped in paper and packed away in the basement. Some of my favorites...

Made by Hocking Glass circa 1930's... I found the shaker at a flea market with a stuck lid for $2.00! The glasses I actually paid a lot for! I arrived late at an auction and the auctioneer wasn't getting any action on the glasses so he decided to throw these in with a box of other junk. I objected saying I only wanted the cocktail glasses but the auctioneer didn't care; the place does big business with antique dealers and there are tables piled up with junk which they allow you to dig through and make your own lots while starting the bidding super low. And wouldn't you know it, some asshole started bidding on the coffee mugs or whatever crap was thrown in and before I knew it I was in a bidding war for the Sweet Ad-aline glasses! When the bidding got up to $20, which is virtually unheard of at this place, I started getting pissed and vowed to myself to rescue the glasses no matter what the price. Luckily he backed off at around $26.00 and I won the glasses. Afterwards I wanted to take the cocktail cups out of the box and right in front of the auctioneer dump the rest of the contents on the floor but I decided not to.

I know this has slipped far away from Tiki Drinks and Food but I just wanted to share...

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ This Message was edited by: johntiki 2005-07-19 15:24 ]

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
UtopianDreem
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-07-19 10:17 am   Permalink

Not vintage, but I'm with TikiWahine--IKEA's Groggy is one of my go-to shakers. Being shaker-opening-impaired, the seal on the glass was the big selling point for me.

My other fave is the Ultimo 24-Ounce Cocktail Shaker. It has a seal on the cover so it's easy to open, and the rubber grip on the outside keeps even a clutz like me from losing my hold. (Guess it wouldn't matter too much with this one since it's not very delicate--probably would be better on the Groggy glass...)

View Profile of UtopianDreem Send a personal message to UtopianDreem  Email UtopianDreem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-19 6:12 pm   Permalink

Well my favorite shaker is not vintage nor is it tiki but I like it! It's a polar bear shaker and I found it at one of those discount stores like Marshalls or TJ Maxx. This is the only pic I have and it's packed away in a box for the next week or so.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-19 7:04 pm   Permalink

I just picked up a vintage shaker at the Sally Ann - only a dollar cause it was missing the lid. I looked on Ebay for stray lids but no luck - I guess the lids are rarer than the glass bottoms. The one I got has multicoloured maple leaves on it.

Anyone got any spare lids?

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tigerlily
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-04-24 8:36 pm   Permalink

I have a great vintage collection of glass shakers with aluminum lids and was soo frustrated during a Christmas party when I was mixing drinks and the lids did not come off!! Help, is there a trick? I don't want to break down and buy a new shaker. I love my vintage shakers.

View Profile of Tigerlily Send a personal message to Tigerlily      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation