FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food All the Cool Kids use Shakers
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
All the Cool Kids use Shakers
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-24 10:10 pm   Permalink

Tigerlily --

If it is a glass shaker with an aluminum top, tap the shaker gently against a hard edge of the bar, then try to twist it off.

If it is an all-aluminum shaker, rap the shaker rather smartly against the side of the bar, then twist the top off.

I was with a professional bartender at an outdoors party, helping him make drinks, and whenever he ran into a balky shaker he would just smack it against the nearby fence to get it loose.

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-04 10:51 pm   Permalink

Here is a few really old Shakers, from Ohio I think...

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-04 10:55 pm   Permalink

Which one is the man?

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-04 11:09 pm   Permalink

You certainly recognize Granny from Beverly Hillbilly's, right? The other one was my 3rd grade teacher...she has cost me thousands in therapy.

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WillTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-08 2:31 pm   Permalink

I use a stainless steel milkshake mixer cup with a commercial pint glass. If it ever happens to break, so what. The old collectable glass shakers with aluminum lids never really worked well when new and they sure don't work with a little age and corrosion on them so they stay on a display shelf. Just go to a restaurant and bar supply store and load up on cheap measuring jiggers, bar spoons, pourers, muddlers, shake tins, glassware etc. If they require you to have an account, to give them something to put in the computer, just say you are a new caterer and do not have a tax number yet. Works like a charm. Plus, this stuff lasts forever in the home since it is designed for commercial use in bars.

View Profile of WillTiki Send a personal message to WillTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-22 11:21 pm   Permalink

I got this beauty today at Value Village for a sawbuck, including the 6 matching glasses.

[ This Message was edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2006-06-22 23:22 ]

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-23 07:25 am   Permalink

Is this the Value Village in Mesa Az? .or could it be there is a 'Value Village' in EVERY LARGE TOWN in the U.S.?

mmm.............could be.....

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-23 12:01 pm   Permalink

One of the Edmonton ones, bbm. There are Value Village/Savers stores all over Canada, the U.S. and Australia.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-02 3:18 pm   Permalink

... a selection of shakers and accessories new and old, ARGGGGGGH! I'm short of space so I'm not only out of new shelf space but am packing additional stuff away because it's too crowded in the bar!

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-02 4:26 pm   Permalink

Wow, nice collection. What is that big one there in the middle, about the size of a small pumpkin?

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
reedalong
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-09 10:45 am   Permalink

Is that an ice bucket?

Also, I see a hand-crank ice crusher. Love it, love it.

- strictly on the kini popo -

View Profile of reedalong Send a personal message to reedalong      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-09 11:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-02 16:26, GatorRob wrote:
Wow, nice collection. What is that big one there in the middle, about the size of a small pumpkin?

I recognize that as the classic penguin ice bucket.

It's a standard item all home bars should have.

..sbim

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-16 12:25 am   Permalink

Yes its a penguin hot-cold server to keep casseroles warm or use as an ice bucket, I shelled out 20 bux for one once but have since found 2 more for 12 bux or so, pretty easy to find for cheap with persistence. I have a collection of daisy rocket shaped hand crank crushers too, I'll get some more stuff out and do another pic. Thanks for the interest.

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-16 10:13 am   Permalink

I just bought the Tiki Farm 'Cobbler' style shaker:

And although it was easy to shake with, I found that I couldn't strain the liquid nearly fast enough. It does have a nice large capacity for bigger drinks, and it's quite swank with those grip-able ceramic tikis on either side.

I was hoping to make a permanent switch to a capped model to speed up the shaking/straining process, but instead I still prefer my cheap Ikea Groggy 'Boston' style shaker(seen below) with my expensive Villeroy & Bosch Strainer.

Quote:

On 2005-07-01 12:48, Tikiwahine wrote:
This is the one I use.

"Groggy" shaker from Ikea.

It's cheap but does the job nicely, and the glass part has a rubber rim that seals but releases fairly easily.

The sensations are part of the whole mixing experience for me; the cold of the metal, the clink of the ice, the drips, yes, sometimes there are drips. All part of the territory. If you don't come out wet and sticky, what's the point?

And now! See me wet and sticky, LIVE! at the Jet City Junket, this September right around the time of Tiki Art Now 3 in Seattle.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-16 10:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-16 10:13, Tikiwahine wrote:
I just bought the Tiki Farm 'Cobbler' style shaker:

This may seem like a silly question....

If you look at the picture from Tikiwahine, the top fits INto the shaker. The last shaker I used where the top fit in like that had me wearing as much of the cocktail as I what I poured. I now have the same Groggy from Ikea that I love as well as a more traditional shaker that has a top that fits ONto the shaker, the top covers the bottom.

So, my question is... Am I just an idiot when it comes to shaking a drink or have any of you had the problem with leaks and spills from your shaker when the top fits into the base versus when the top fits over the base.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation