FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Palama Tiki's First Attempt at AAC/Moai: Finished! Pg. 2..
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Palama Tiki's First Attempt at AAC/Moai: Finished! Pg. 2..
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-19 09:17 am   Permalink

Looking better Palama Tiki.
I drew a few lines for you to ponder. See if it makes sense/

Remember also what Aaron said," There are many styles of Moai carvings". For every carver who carves a Moai, there are that many different versions. They All look different but thay All look like a Moai. So do what you think it should look like.
You are doing great!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-19 09:42 am   Permalink

Benz: "do they make sense?".... HECK YEAH they make sense...!!!! Thanks, i appreciate the artwork (can you sketch out all my carvings for me please?)

I'll print them out and give it a go tonight!

Thanks again!

[ This Message was edited by: Palama Tiki 2005-07-19 09:45 ]

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-19 5:48 pm   Permalink

Sure Palama, bring it on.
The only thing I forgot was the chin/jaw line. Hold a mirror under your chin and look at in a wall mirror. Bring his chin to a gentle rounded point like that and you have it..
Thanks.

PS, I love this spell check

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-19 10:03 pm   Permalink

Those revisions look a lot better Palama. Very cool. One day i will have a go at a Moai.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 05:21 am   Permalink

Thanks Hewey and thanks Benz... i saw the 'mirror under the chin' post after i finished carving for the evening last night.

Here's what i've got so far: i had to dim the lighting to bring out the features since the flash was washing everything out.

i know that i need to work on the following:

more rounding and straightening of the head and brow line,
evening out around the upper lip and other areas, even out the ears and detail them, and smooth out all the edge lines, etc.

Benz, (or any other Moai artists) any more suggestions on the design? opinions on the mouth and chin area. i like the sweep of the jaw line, even though it's not 'purist', but should i do more tapering?

i'm not thrilled with the nose either, but....

any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks again all!

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 06:52 am   Permalink

if the AAC block isn't a lot of money, try doing another Moai and this time you will know more the likes and dislikes of the first one. There are different looks of Moai and if you did another you would learn the ways of Moai Master.

But I do like what you have done to the chin. It looks like it does good to ground him to the table.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 07:27 am   Permalink

Palama. I love it how it is. Awesome work on that one. It works for me, especially the scallop around the chin/mouth are at the side.

I would only suggest giving the area under the mouth a bullnose edge to it. By this I mean just smooth the sharp front of the bottom edge off by rounding it off more. I hope this makes sense.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 09:26 am   Permalink

Teakey: thanks. the AAC block was free; if i want more, i'd have to buy a palletload. i may just cast a block of hypertufa and carve that up.
not sure what you mean about grounding it to the table.

Hewey: thanks as well. not quite sure i know what you mean by a bullnose edge.

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 09:43 am   Permalink

I think teakey meant the base visually ties in with the table, instead of the moai appearing to 'float'. It looks like it was carved 'on the spot', as the pointy front end almost seems to join the table in a continous line. My idea was to round this off, to make it smoother. But I think I agree with Teakey, now that i look at it again.

I hope this clarifies. Or just confuse you further...

Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 10:10 am   Permalink

OK, i think i know what your talking about now. i haven't even touched the base of the carving yet. that will all get smoothed out eventually.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 10:42 am   Permalink

It looks better already, just keep taking off what does not fit right. I know that's easier said than done. Here are a couple more redrawings

This should help a little. You can always look at your own face for the basic structure of how different parts fit together. Hope this makes sense.

Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 10:52 am   Permalink

Thanks Benz: i was just sitting here sketching out changes. i'll apply your suggestions tonight.

Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 5:57 pm   Permalink

Well, for better or worse, Caveman Moai is finished. Thank you, Benzart, for your willingness to offer your talent and advice. I greatly appreciate it! May the tiki gods smile upon you.

Thanks all, for your comments and suggestions!

finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 6:05 pm   Permalink

Bravo!! Well Done!!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 6:12 pm   Permalink

Thanks Fink! I appreciate it!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation