FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ General Tiki ╗ ╗ Ooga-Mooga: Redesigned mug pages, plus links to related items
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Ooga-Mooga: Redesigned mug pages, plus links to related items
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-22 2:40 pm   Permalink

I just rolled out the biggest change to Ooga-Mooga so far, but it's largely behind the scenes.

As I mentioned earlier, requiring new Ooga-Mooga users to sign up for Tiki Central was sometimes confusing, so I've been working on detangling the two sites. I have now finished separating Ooga-Mooga from Tiki Central, and a Tiki Central account is no longer required to sign up on Ooga-Mooga.

This, of course, means bupkis to anyone here. This change is more for people who don't even know about Tiki Central yet. But I wanted to keep you in the loop, in case anything is wonky. I've made some very substantial changes to Ooga-Mooga (mostly under the hood) -- please let me know if anything isn't working right for you.

I've already told you about the new Messaging and Profile systems that replace the ones we were piggy-backing on here on Tiki Central. There are a couple more changes that are relatively minor (from where you're sitting, anyway!). We still wanted to keep some of the neat functionality that came from your Ooga-Mooga and Tiki Central accounts being linked -- notably, the link to your Ooga-Mooga collection from your posts on TC, and a link to your Tiki Central profile from your Ooga-Mooga profile. Now that a TC account isn't required, you can initiate this linking yourself from the Account Settings page on Ooga-Mooga. Anyone who has signed up for Ooga-Mooga prior to today is already linked up, but any new Ooga-Mooga users will have the option of doing that in Account Settings.

Please let me know if anything seems amiss!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-23 5:07 pm   Permalink

I've created a blog on Ooga-Mooga, where I'll be posting announcements about Ooga-Mooga, and I'll also be spotlighting a Collection of the Day just as I've been doing on MySpace. It's a much better way for the users of Ooga-Mooga to keep up with all the new features & news about Ooga-Mooga.

I'll still be posting in this thread, but the blog on Ooga-Mooga will be much more thorough and current. You can subscribe to the blog via email or RSS reader, so the news can come straight to you.

Here's a teeny little change I made today:

The image on the left is how the Ooga-Mooga badge "before", and the one on the left is "after" -- not a huge change, but it was making me batty. It's a GIF now, instead of a JPEG (which is how I should have done it in the first place). Your existing links to the JPEG version will still work, but if you want to update your image to the brighter, shinier new Ooga-Mooga badge, just to to Fun Stuff and re-get the code. If you're comfortable with html, it's even easier -- just change the ".jpg" to ".gif".

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ScarabaTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-23 8:26 pm   Permalink

Wow!! The many fantastic changes Humuhumu has made to Ooga-Mooga in such a short time period is astounding.

Please keep up the great work, it is really appreciated. This site is absolutely FUN and gets better all the time! The one 'behind the scenes' feature I definitely noticed within the past two weeks is the search time...it is much speedier now.

And thanks to Tiki-Kate as well for providing all those new templates!

"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough." ŚMark Twain

View Profile of ScarabaTiki Send a personal message to ScarabaTiki  Email ScarabaTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-28 1:26 pm   Permalink

Thank you so much for all your kind words, ScarabaTiki! The mug search is quicker now, because I changed the default to only search mug names. You can still switch back to the slower, more thorough search, by selecting "Name, AKAs and full description" on the search form.

I just rolled out a whole new look for the mug pages, including a cool new feature -- now you can see if a mug is being offered for sale or trade by anybody on Ooga-Mooga right from the mug page! There are a ton more changes, and they're all detailed in an entry on the Ooga-Mooga blog:

New Feature: Revamped Mug Pages, Now With Mugs for Sale & Trade!

Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-29 9:06 pm   Permalink

'Nother new feature -- Ooga-Mooga is now able to display related items. Several people have asked for this, and I think it's a great feature. Above is a snapshot of the related items for the
Islander Bumatay Mug -- now you can see at a glance that this same mug comes with at least three different markings.

Ooga-Mooga will link items that are the same design but different colors, the same design but different markings, the same design but different shapes (like a mug and a shot that are of the same design), the reproductions vs. originals, and mugs that are part of a set. I could probably come up with a bunch more ways that mugs can be related, but I want to keep it simple -- this feature would use its usefulness if every mug was linked to dozens of other mugs.

The related items links appear just beneath the Price Sightings, and only on the Mug Template (not the individual mugs). If you're looking at an individual mug in someone's collection, just click on the name of the mug up top to get to its template.

Right now, it's set up so that only Tiki-Kate and I can link items, but that will change soon -- I'm designing this so that any Ooga-Mooga member can add links, just like price sightings work. Because there's some possibility of errors and/or abuse, I'm also building a system that will let you flag links that are inaccurate.

I've only been linking items for less than a day, and I've already built 477 links for 360 mugs... not too shabby! That covers nearly 15% of all the mugs in Ooga-Mooga. Of course, not all mugs have any reason to be linked to another mug, so that's a fairly good dent.

As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts or questions.

Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-29 9:33 pm   Permalink

Jeez Humu!

Can't you quit being awesome for a minute.

All the changes are great.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-29 10:15 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Humuhumu!
All the new features are just great! Thanks so much for all your hard work on this! Ooga-Mooga was fun before, but now, well, it's just addictive!

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-17 10:53 pm   Permalink

I really enjoy browsing through all of the pictures and I've found OM to be a useful research tool when encountering unfamiliar pieces.

I recently registered but I've been unable to post pictures of the items I've added to my collection. Whenever I attempt to do so I get the following error:

Quote:

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@ooga-mooga.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Any suggestions?

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-13 10:52 pm   Permalink

First off I'd like to say how much I appreciate Humu for creating Ooga-mooga. It's a invaluable resource for us Tiki Mug collectors.

But now I'm going to complain that my account was shut down with no notice to me, and no warning. The credit card I used to sign up has expired (like all credit cards do every few years) and I was never given the opportunity to renew.

I don't know if all my photos and hard work are completely gone, because Humu has not returned the emails and PM's I've been sending for the past two weeks. Does anyone know what's up? Is Humu on an extended Christmas vacation? Is my spam blocker blocking her out?

Please tell me my photos and information are still there somewhere....

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ScarabaTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-14 06:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-13 22:52, MauiTiki wrote:

Your situation got me thinking...what's my Ooga Mooga subscription status? I couldn't find that information anywhere on the site, so there's concern my account could someday terminate suddenly as well. I couldn't find the info under 'account settings' or 'manage account.' Is this info available somewhere and I'm just missing it?

As for your situation MauiTiki I think your collection will still be there once the account is reinstated according to the last Q/A found on the Help page. I hope you hear from Humu soon.

"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough." ŚMark Twain

View Profile of ScarabaTiki Send a personal message to ScarabaTiki  Email ScarabaTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-14 07:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-13 22:52, MauiTiki wrote:
First off I'd like to say how much I appreciate Humu for creating Ooga-mooga. It's a invaluable resource for us Tiki Mug collectors.

But now I'm going to complain that my account was shut down with no notice to me, and no warning. The credit card I used to sign up has expired (like all credit cards do every few years) and I was never given the opportunity to renew.

I don't know if all my photos and hard work are completely gone, because Humu has not returned the emails and PM's I've been sending for the past two weeks. Does anyone know what's up? Is Humu on an extended Christmas vacation? Is my spam blocker blocking her out?

Aloha Rob.

I'm 99.9% sure that your photos and info are just hanging out in Ooga-Mooga limbo at the moment. I don't have access to fix your account myself, but I will pass the word along to Humu and try to get it straightened out as soon as possible.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-14 10:53 am   Permalink

Thanks for the PM's and assurance that my mugs are still there. I've got a bunch to add, so I hope Humu gets back to me soon. I didn't want to cause anyone else to freak out, but maybe this will inspire Humu to set-up an automatic notification when our accounts are about to expire.

Aloha!

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-15 08:37 am   Permalink

I'm in the same position. I made a change to my paypal account, which for some stupid reason will cancel any recurring payments when you do that. Humuhumu had let me know that this sometimes happens, and to just email her when my subscription had run out, and she would then re-activate my account to let me sign up for the payments again. I emailed her when this happened, but I'm guessing it got lost in the shuffle somewhere. I was going to get around to emailing her again, but hadn't yet.

I'm thinking that one great thing that could be added to ooga-mooga would be a button to "click to renew your membership", rather than getting only "your account has been disabled". Of course I'm guessing that there is an underlying reason why this may not have been implemented yet.

I'm a big fan of Ooga-Mooga, and I really appreciate the work that Humuhumu puts into it. I'm hoping that sometime soon I'll be able to renew my membership so I can make updates to my collection.

Chris

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-15 08:53 am   Permalink

MauiTiki's account was fixed last night.

I'll try to make sure that you are taken care of this evening, Chris.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-17 2:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-15 08:53, Tiki-Kate wrote:
MauiTiki's account was fixed last night.

I'll try to make sure that you are taken care of this evening, Chris.

Thanks Kate! I see it is still disabled currently, but whenever is fine

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation