FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Ooga-Mooga: Redesigned mug pages, plus links to related items
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Ooga-Mooga: Redesigned mug pages, plus links to related items
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-25 8:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-25 19:16, bananabobs wrote:
I have heard that the only dumb question is one not asked...
I would imagine that folks would be proud to let others use their photos...see where I am going with this?
I can think of some problems already but also some solutions.
...besides someone else is bound to ask. Thanks!

It is, indeed, a sticky wicket, as I'm sure you can imagine. I've got a few solutions kicking around in my head, but I want to make sure I've come up with a solution that 1) protects those who *don't* want their photo used beyond their own collection, 2) gives proper byline credits to those who have let their picture be used, but doesn't confuse viewers who might wonder who is the owner of the mug they're looking at, and 3) still encourages people to upload their own photos if they're able.

The solution that I'm thinking through at the moment is to ask Ooga-Mooga members whether they would like to make their photo available to other members as a "stock" photo. This would be done similar to the "Public" setting, where it's set on a photo-by-photo level, but the member can set what the default is for their account in Account settings. Then I just have to consider how to give a byline photo credit in a way that isn't confusing. I would probably have "stock" photos be shaded a bit, so it's clear which photos that member owns, and which are being borrowed from another member.

That being said, the person who owns the photos is the Ooga-Mooga member who took the photo, not me. If someone wants to make their photos available to other users to upload with the understanding that they won't get a byline unless they "watermark" the image themselves, that's okay with me.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-25 9:24 pm   Permalink

we need a shot glass section although isn't not a "mug" and a bottle/decanter/flask section. And is the tiki mug template could be actually everything.

Also I don't see a way to change/add the color, height, manufactured and other characteristics.

Can't wait to see new mugs like the zombie moai of Stuckie's

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-25 9:42 pm   Permalink

To see the shot glasses and decanters in Ooga-Mooga, you can do a Mug Search, and select those shape types from the Shapes Selection box (it's defaulted to "Any Shapes").

The only information you need to enter about your mug is its own particular details -- for instance, what number you own, what condition it's in, where you got it. The color, designer, manufacturer, etc. information comes from a Mug Template, which is created by me. If you have found a Mug Template for a mug you own, and some of that information is missing, you can tell me the information that's missing by using "Update Mug Template". If you *can't* find the right Mug Template, use a Basic Mug template (see the bottom of
Add a Mug for details) and enter as much information as you can in the Notes field when you add the mug to your collection. Uploading a photo of your mug is particularly helpful. I am monitoring those Basic Mug Templates, and when I can, I create a new Mug Template for your mug. I then move your mug from the Basic Mug Template over to the correct new template -- you don't have to do anything.

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-25 10:09 pm   Permalink

wow this is fun!!! i can't wait to see everyone's collection's with all of the individual pics.

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-25 10:16 pm   Permalink

I've just added a new setting to the Account Settings section:

As photos are uploaded, I look through the images to flag the ones that are clear, front views, as these make the best "Representative" photos to help someone who's looking through the Mug Templates find the mug they're looking for. However, whether you want the photos that appear in your own personal collection to be the more "representative" photos you've uploaded, or a random view of any of the photos you've uplaoded (including back, sides, silly shots), is a matter of personal taste.

So, I've added a "Representative photos default" to your Account Settings. It's turned on (Representative Pictures only) by default, if you want a random view selected from the photos you've uploaded for your mugs to show up, turn it off.

It probably just makes more sense if you play with it, and you won't be able to see any difference unless you've uploaded a mixture of representative & non-representative photos.

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-25 10:25 pm   Permalink

if these were the mugs from Tiki Quest, it would go easy but there are so many different kinds of mugs out here that are new or undiscovered.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-25 10:45 pm   Permalink

If I take shots of some of the other mugs I have, would you be interested in using them for the mug template images?

Oh and I get the following error when I try to get into my personal messages. On Tiki Central that is...

Error with database. error DGS-GD001

[ This Message was edited by: TikiGardener 2005-07-25 23:00 ]

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 01:39 am   Permalink

Wow! What an amazing first day for Ooga-Mooga!

Since launching Ooga-Mooga last night, we've had:

68 new mug templates created by me
246 mugs added to collections by Ooga-Mooga members
123 photos added by Ooga-Mooga members

Thanks to everyone for your support of Ooga-Mooga -- I didn't expect it would be so fun right out of the gate. It's been a blast creating new mug templates for you, and seeing all the photos come rolling in. I've got to go get some sleep now, but I look forward to digging in again tomorrow!

hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2005-07-26 01:47 am   Permalink

Are you still getting it? or is has it gone away?

Quote:

On 2005-07-25 22:45, TikiGardener wrote:
If I take shots of some of the other mugs I have, would you be interested in using them for the mug template images?

Oh and I get the following error when I try to get into my personal messages. On Tiki Central that is...

Error with database. error DGS-GD001

[ This Message was edited by: TikiGardener 2005-07-25 23:00 ]

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 03:10 am   Permalink

went away

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gwenners
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-26 1:49 pm   Permalink

Apologies for the criticism, I know that a lot of work was put into this.

I actually found Ooga-Mooga a bit difficult to use. Searching was challenging, with a search on "Trader Vic's" returning none of the mugs I had in my collection. Ditto on an overall search on "Tiki Farm."

Likewise, most of my collection -- which is pretty pedestrian -- is not in any template. In one case there is a template (Squatting Tiki decanter), but for a different colour.

It just seems to take a long time to put an entry in.

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

[ This Message was edited by: gwenners 2005-07-26 13:53 ]

View Profile of gwenners Send a personal message to gwenners  Goto the website of gwenners     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 2:02 pm   Permalink

<<Content Mutiny>>

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2005-09-02 21:01 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 2:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-26 13:49, gwenners wrote:
Apologies for the criticism, I know that a lot of work was put into this.

I actually found Ooga-Mooga a bit difficult to use. Searching was challenging, with a search on "Trader Vic's" returning none of the mugs I had in my collection. Ditto on an overall search on "Tiki Farm."

Likewise, most of my collection -- which is pretty pedestrian -- is not in any template. In one case there is a template (Squatting Tiki decanter), but for a different colour.

It just seems to take a long time to put an entry in.

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

[ This Message was edited by: gwenners 2005-07-26 13:53 ]

No need to apologize! Constructive criticism is what will make Ooga-Mooga better in the long run.

Hopefully, most of the issues you bring up with go away with time, as I get create more mug templates. Already, there are 228 mug templates in the system -- half of those are ones I've created in the last two days, and based on that, I anticipate that I'll have the database up near the 1000 mark in about a week. I realize that doesn't help you today, though.

One approach that others have been taking, which seems to be working well, is adding mugs by using a
Basic Mug Template. You can find the link to the Basic Mug Templates on the "Add New Mug" page, but perhaps I should place a link somewhere more obvious. I'm monitoring the mugs people are adding to their collection using the Basic templates, and I'm creating new templates based on the mugs I'm seeing. I then move the mug over to the new template for you. All you have to do is type a little about what you know in the Notes section. Uploading a photo is most helpful of all, of course.

I hope you find that this will help!

Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 2:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-26 14:02, Swanky wrote:
To make searching faster, I search templates and click "Hide Details" and Show 75 mugs per page. Then you can scan a lot for the image of the mug you are looking for. One day, when every dang mug out there is in the database with a picture, it'll be a lot easier.

I got 10 mugs in there with pictures, and then I'll drop them from "My Collection" and add 10 more with pictures and that way, with my little 10 mug collection limit, I can help fill the database anyway!

Thanks for pointing out the ways you can tweak the Search Results -- like you said, once there are more images in the database, it'll be much faster to find mugs. At some point when there are enough images, I'll probably default it to have details hidden.

Since the images are associated with the actual mug in someone's collection, when the mug is deleted, the picture goes away, too. It's okay, the way things are going, it looks like we're going to have a *lot* of pictures soon.

gwenners
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-26 2:46 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2005-07-26 14:25, Humuhumu wrote:
Quote:

One approach that others have been taking, which seems to be working well, is adding mugs by using a Basic Mug Template. You can find the link to the Basic Mug Templates on the "Add New Mug" page, but perhaps I should place a link somewhere more obvious. I'm monitoring the mugs people are adding to their collection using the Basic templates, and I'm creating new templates based on the mugs I'm seeing. I then move the mug over to the new template for you. All you have to do is type a little about what you know in the Notes section. Uploading a photo is most helpful of all, of course.

I've made some use of the basic template, yes, though as there isn't a decanter template, well, I had to scratch that one from the collection. Ditto with the squatting tiki shot glass, as well as a cheap "chiki tiki" shot.

I've shot all of mine. It's easy when the collection only numbers 10.

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

View Profile of gwenners Send a personal message to gwenners  Goto the website of gwenners     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation