FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving SilverLine's latest attempt - in OAK! (March 6, page 6)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
SilverLine's latest attempt - in OAK! (March 6, page 6)
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-14 06:22 am   Permalink

Nice work!

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-14 07:03 am   Permalink

That's really great work. Love it.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-14 09:15 am   Permalink

Nice work. I wish you were my brother.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-14 10:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-13 20:48, 8FT Tiki wrote:
Well done Brad. You did fine work considering you only had a partial picture as your model. What type of wood and how tall is it? Before you give it to your Bro, get your picture taken with it and post here. Oh, and let's get together and share some ideas soon.

Wish I'd thought of getting in a picture with it! Oh well, I took it to my brother last night and he seemed to like it. He's not far, so maybe I'll get a few more shots of it.

The wood is Catalpa (very common around here). It has white sapwood and walnut-looking heartwood, so I stained the whole thing dark walnut. It's only about 30 inches tall.

I finally bought some GOOD chisels for this one; a shallow gouge (#4 I think) a V-parting chisel, and a couple #1, single and double bevel. MAN that makes a big difference!!

Thanks everybody for the kind words. I still have NO idea what I'm doing, but am having a blast figuring it out!

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-14 10:22 am   Permalink

Looks excellent for knowing what you're doing. I like the way the grain came out, in the eyes especially.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-15 06:17 am   Permalink

Those carvings have so much charisma. You & 8 ft. are going to put Kansas City on the map - tikiwise.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-20 1:09 pm   Permalink

Catalpa wood, again. 30 inches tall. Meant to finish this one before Thanksgiving but the weather slowed me down a month.

As always for me, it starts with a photo in BOT:

I think they're getting better, so I'm gonna keep trying.

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-20 1:31 pm   Permalink

Getting Better? Dude your there! This looks great nice clean lines and the color is fantastic. Keep em coming.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-20 1:59 pm   Permalink

Nice deep cuts. Looks GREAT. Nice n smooth, you really captured it all. That Catalpa wood seems to work real well, looks a little green, but didn't crack, I love when that happens.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-20 2:14 pm   Permalink

Yeah surfintiki, I just got lucky on the wood. Used what I had. It's from a tree I helped cut up on an adjacent vacant lot. Catalpa has really good stability, I found out. Here's more:
http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood/catalpa_northern.htm

Thanks for the kind words!

[ This Message was edited by: SilverLine 2005-12-20 14:15 ]

OnaTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-20 2:18 pm   Permalink

Sweet, really nice job..The marquesans are fun..

View Profile of OnaTiki Send a personal message to OnaTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-20 6:18 pm   Permalink

Silverline, you too, Lookit what You got. Another Awesome carving. I think you have one extra tooth on the right top part, chack it out??
Excellent job on this and your other pieces I think I have recently seen

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-20 9:45 pm   Permalink

Whoa, Silverline! What a step up. This one is so deep and defined - and the wood is really beautiful. You and Onatiki must have telepathy, both working on the same tiki at the same time. Funny how different each carver's interpretations are. Both unique and totally killer! I really like this one!

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-21 10:57 pm   Permalink

WOW! I'd be proud to be the papa of that baby! You really are advancing several grades between carvings. This is one in BOT that I have also thought about doing. Great choice and fantastic result! See you soon.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-22 07:14 am   Permalink

Silverline,

For a guy who says "I don't know what I'm doing, but I am having fun"...you sure seem to have a good idea how to get it done! Your Marq is top shelf. The wood is beautiful and your carving is terrific. Congratulations on creating a most excellent carving.

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation