FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving SilverLine's latest attempt - in OAK! (March 6, page 6)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
SilverLine's latest attempt - in OAK! (March 6, page 6)
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-22 11:31 am   Permalink

Nice and clean! Looks like you spent a lot of time on this one. Looks great.
John

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-09 8:54 pm   Permalink

This winter weather is driving me nuts! I was really just getting started when the weather turned on me, and I can't take the cold like I used to. So I'm trying small stuff indoors. Here's my first. This little guy is smaller than my thumb, carved with an Exacto knife out of Harry Lauder Walking Stick sucker. Rough, but I'm encouraged. Exacto knives are NOT the way to go; they flex and tend to work out of the handle, so I've ordered some of the small carving blades and handles Benzart wrote about here. I'm also very seriously considering getting the Economy Flexshaft grinder Benzart mentioned here. Not sure if it's going to do what I want for this kind of tiny work, though. Any ideas?

BTW, Benzart ROCKS! I would be NO WHERE without the information posted here by ALL the members!

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ This Message was edited by: SilverLine 2006-01-09 21:04 ]

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kaha ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-10 09:03 am   Permalink

Aloha bruddah!
Nice work brah! keep carving as it gets easier over time.. Once you start doing subtractive scuplture like carving ki'i, it can get addicting! So get ready for withdrawls if you ever stop!

Nice work!

Malama Pono!

View Profile of kaha ki'i Send a personal message to kaha ki'i  Email kaha ki'i Goto the website of kaha ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-10 09:12 am   Permalink

Excellent first small piece, Silverline, and More so seeing that you used Only an exacto blade! The Hook blades will make all the difference in the world. The economy flexshaft is an excellent deal for 67$ and it will help you tremendously. The only issue you will have is starting from scratch with your burr inventory. Go through the "Tools carvers use" thread to find more info on those. Welcome to a Different world of Carving...Small. You are gonna Love it.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-10 09:26 am   Permalink

This is a great start. Carving small stuff is alot of fun, but they tend to bite more than the larger tikis. I use an Xacto to carve as well and have found that the bend in the blades can actually work in my favor. I also use a Dremel with the flexshaft. I use the Dremel to rough out the features and finish with the Xacto and sandpaper. Keep up the good work!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-01-10 1:19 pm   Permalink

I just love this this one you have really advanced. Keep up the good work.

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-10 4:20 pm   Permalink

Don't let him fool you. That's what's left of his wife's rolling pin he stole from the kitchen. Folks, ol' Silverline has gone a bit kooky since it turned cold here. I sure hope he hasn't slipped too far. I will do my best to pull him out of it. I'm sure a trip to Coon tiki for an intense carving session would cure him. I have a plan to introduce him to an angle grinder when the temps rise again.
Wish me luck.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-12 3:51 pm   Permalink

Nice job with the Exacto blades. The standard pointed blades are a pain to carve with. But that tiki doesn't look anything like your thumb though.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-26 09:46 am   Permalink

For my birthday last week, my brother bought me the Economy Flexshaft carver that Benzart mentioned in his carving lessons post a while back. WOW is that a slick piece of equipment! He also got me a set of diamond tip carving burs from Woodcraft (only $10 for 20 burs!) and I was off and running!

Here's my first attempt: (This one is going to my brother.)

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 8:21 pm   Permalink

Having a LOT of fun with this flex-shaft carver! Here's another, same size as the little Moai in the previous post.

JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-04 04:37 am   Permalink

The little stuff just looks impossible to me. How do you hold the piece as you are working on it?
JP

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-04 05:43 am   Permalink

Look at you Going to town with that new tool. Hooray for you and Hooray for us that get to see your new stuff!!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-04 06:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-04 04:37, JohnnyP wrote:
The little stuff just looks impossible to me. How do you hold the piece as you are working on it?
JP

I'm carving from a 2-foot walnut dowel, so I leave the piece on the rod until I'm nearly finished. MUCH easier that way!

Ben, THANKS for the kind words! It really means a lot coming from you! (The master of tiny carvings!)

SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-01 5:19 pm   Permalink

I was going to wait until this one was finished to post this, but I'm at a crossroads and could use some input.

Things had been really dry all last month (April) and I had some warm days to pull out this nice chunk of soft maple I claimed last summer. Well, now it's rained for 9 out of the last 10 days! 'Ol Tonga here has gotten soaked and all that nice sweat maple is molding up like crazy. I just tried the diluted bleach trick with no effect.

The thing is, I could go either way with this one. The grain in this wood is really beautiful, so if I could effectively remove all this mold, stain and varnish him, he'd be fantastic looking.

OTOH, I'm kinda likin' the old moldy look. My plan is for this one to take up residence on the lake house porch (enclosed) so it won't be exposed to the elements too much.

Can you stain/varnish over mold? I would like to at least seal it up so it doesn't rot away completely. Or is there a better way to remove all this mold?? I'm far from done carving, so there's still time to do just about anything.

BTW, special thanks to BK for his advice on getting around the tighter points of this guy, and thanks also to Tiki Diablo for his pattern transferring technique he shared at Coon Tiki!

congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-01 8:05 pm   Permalink

don't know anything about staining over mold...but I do know this is looking really
cool. You have learnt your carving lessons very well.....I have given a lot of thought
to doing one of these...but I chicken out all the time. Keep working.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation