FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Kona Luanii, Denver, CO
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
The Kona Luanii, Denver, CO
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 7:35 pm   Permalink

video of the lava pleez?

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-14 12:02 am   Permalink

Your lava is absolutely awesome! I second the request for a video.

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-15 1:44 pm   Permalink

Seriously awesome thread. The moai looks fantastic and that lava effect is worthy of disneyland. I've seen people use the foam to represent dried lava before, but I had no idea that it's translucent! Great ideas here! and great looking tiki bar too! You are on FIRE!!!!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-15 7:54 pm   Permalink

It just occurred to me...

...I hope the Good Stuff foam isn't right on the lights? When any of the mini orange lights goes out, you'll have a time gettin' the top off to change the bulb. Unless the foam lava bed can be pried off, plastic cups and all, for access.

Now, the flicker bulbs are neon "glow lights" and will last for decades, but they may need replacing after a few years if the flickering dies down, which it can.

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-25 08:52 am   Permalink

My god what have you done????? It's it's i.........Amazing!

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-31 10:50 am   Permalink

Holy Cow......
Man I can't wait to see this in person!!!!

View Profile of Beach Bum Scott Send a personal message to Beach Bum Scott      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-15 8:39 pm   Permalink

Phase II is wrapping up nicely, lots of finished pics coming soon. In the meantime, a few quick shots of one of the decor items I recently made. Inspired by the shrunken head display at the Mai Kai, I created a shrunken head shrine mounted on the wall behind the booth.

I got this shrunken head on eBay. They come from the Jivaro tribe in Ecuador. They strech goat skin over a head mold and ley it dry and then add animal hair. They look really great and come in various sizes. This is a 5" head.

I found this exotic display at an antique store a year or so ago, I think it was about $10, but perfect for the shrine.

A few misc supplies (including chicken bones soaked in bleach overnight)

Some hot glue....and done. My 7 year old has named him Fred the Shrunken Head.
Looks great in the dim lights.

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-15 9:00 pm   Permalink

Man, you have such a great eye. You do a great job getting the overall perspective and balance in the room just right, not to mention really inventive and graphically pleasing individual elements. Kudos!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-29 10:27 pm   Permalink

Phase II is finally done. I finished it up a couple of weeks ago, just in time for our annual Christmas party (hence the Christmas decor in a few of the pics).

The booth area.

Detail of the decor behind the booth.

An old wooden ammuniation box mounted as a shelf has more Disney Enchanted Tiki Room items.

This hanging glass float lamp is centered over the table. It was made by Bongo Fury, I picked it up at Tiki Oasis.

But this one is a little different, it has a shrunken head inside. I love this float lamp, excellent work Ron!

Which is why the 'Fred the Shrunken Head' shrine is mounted in the wall directly behind.

Misc. decor.

A collection of bottles and mixes from back in the day that I have picked up at various estate sales.

This is a piece of the Don the Beachcomber (Hollywood locale) sign, which stood for many many years after the resaturant closed before the sign was finally taken down.

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-29 10:39 pm   Permalink

Across the the room in the other corner is this large bamboo hutch.

The top shelf of the hutch.

The bottom shelf. I found a good use for all of those wooden tiki fork/spoon sets you find at the thrift store. Just cut off the tikis and mount in a lighted display box.

On the bottom shelf Coco Joe's King Kam guards the collection of exotica 8 tracks.

Between the bamboo hutch and the booth is the restaurant item display case.

The bottom shelf is all Trader Vic's items. Middle shelf is Don the Beachcomber, Kon Tiki, Mai Kai and the Bali Hai.

The top shelf has misc. tikis. Front and center is the bamboo tiki my 7 yr. old daughter made for me this summer.

ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-29 10:47 pm   Permalink

Kahuna, the God of Surf, with a mouthfull of lava, sits opposite the booth in the other corner of the room.

The Kona Luanii.

All that is left to do is redo the bar top and the booth table.

After that, Phase III, the guest bedroom adjacent to Kahuna. Except Phase III will be very different. It will have a 60's bowling theme, but of course they will all be tiki bowling alleys! I need a break, maybe I'll start next summer.

[ This Message was edited by: ZuluMagoo 2009-12-29 22:59 ]

abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-30 05:56 am   Permalink

WOW! this Home Tiki Bar is absolutely positively totally awesome!!!! Great work Zulu!

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-30 11:07 am   Permalink

HOLY MOLEY!
What a camp!
Bet ya spend hours just trying to take it all in huh?
Great place to plot the TIKI revolution ( and forget all about it over a half a barrel of rum )
very worthy of admiration!

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-30 2:51 pm   Permalink

I can't match that. I'm just gonna throw my stuff out & convert it to a NASCAR bar!!

Great work!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-30 5:37 pm   Permalink

Mike, that's amazing. What you need now is a guide for the guests:
Many years ago when I had a big Beachcomber party (when the style was still forgotten) I made up a whole cocktail menu...

...which also included a floor plan of my front yard/porch and my living room, with the artefacts being ID-ed by numbers:

...which corresponded to their descriptions on the next page-and-a-half:

I cannot say how many guests really followed the guide, but there always are a few odd ones who care.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation